This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard Flower

buying a pure water cleaning buisness?
« on: January 25, 2018, 05:44:06 pm »
    :) hi Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I'm about to buy a business off a friend, a pure water window cleaning business; van all kitted out, 80 customers on books etc just wondered if it's realistic to cover my bills each month ? i would want to add numbers.I have no experience in this area so would vauue some honest answers as having being made redundant for the fourth time im wanting to be self employed!

Plankton

Re: buying a pure water cleaning buisness?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:09:33 pm »
I'd say you've done the right thing by coming on here and asking. Only you know what your outgoings are and how much the run brings in is nobodies business, but lets assume it's a grand and the van is in good condition and your not paying over the top for the lot. Mates and money and business don't always go and I'd be carefull he's not telling you that 12 months is the going rate.  If it's fitted with an RO system I don't know anything about them!
Other than that watch the youtubers and practise practise practise and chap on the doors.

Johnny B

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 06:17:51 pm »
Hi, before buying the business, ask yourself these questions:

1. How long has your friend been servicing the 80 customers?
2. How often are they serviced?
3. What is the weekly/monthly turnover?
4. How much is your friend asking for the business?
5. Is he willing to introduce you to the customers, and as you have no previous experience, can he give you some training in how to operate the equipment?

Satisfy yourself that the answers check out and get proof of accounts, record of dates cleaned, and that the customers have been paying on time.

If all the above checks out, then you may have the basis for a business, but, depending on the turnover figures and how much you need to be earning, there will likely still be a lot of work to find via canvassing, leaflets or whatever your preferred method of procuring more customers is before it makes you a decent living.

If you are prepared to work hard,  and are determined to keep going even when it gets tough, there is every possibility you can succeed.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum.

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Jonny 87

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 07:10:15 am »
I’d try and break down the price of everything to see if your getting a good deal.

Work out how much the van is worth and take that off the price,

Then work out how much the 80 customers are going to bring you in per month.

What is the average price of each customer?

Sometimes people can sell a “business opportunity” for more than it’s really worth, because It’s all lumped into one.

80 customers with an average price of £6 per house is poor, whereas 80 customers at £18 average is good.

The key is in the details and without knowing exact figures it’s impossible to say if your getting a good deal or not.

Do you have time to test the water now? For example, trying to build up a small
Round on a Saturday each week until your made redundant. That would give you a good indication.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Shrek

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:46:17 am »
    :) hi Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I'm about to buy a business off a friend, a pure water window cleaning business; van all kitted out, 80 customers on books etc just wondered if it's realistic to cover my bills each month ? i would want to add numbers.I have no experience in this area so would vauue some honest answers as having being made redundant for the fourth time im wanting to be self employed!

To be honest - 80 customers will not pay your bills each month unless those 80 customers are paying at least £25 each . Don’t forget that you’ll need to pay tax and expenses to keep your business going. Gross turnover isn’t what you’ll be left with to pay your bills

paul alan

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:57:50 am »
Hi Richard,

welcome to the good life my friend!

Many of us took a chance on window cleaning and I suppose it all boils down to you, if you want it to work enough IT WILL!

Clean it up will help you through it step by step, have no fear-help is here!

Go for it mate, you'll be so glad you did!!

jk999

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 09:05:24 am »
In my opinion your a newby to this game if there are other Window cleaners in the area that have been cleaning for years there's a chance that the 80 customers will half to 40 . Unless your willing to spend the next few months every day canvessing you will be looking for another job within six months me personally I would look for another job ☺👍because it's a lot harder these days to get the customers unless you are a well established Window cleaner with a good reputation

NWH

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:35:30 am »
Remember if you clean 80 customers a month only half might have paid you in that time span,I can clean a weeks worth of work and only get paid for 2 days of it come Friday sometimes less don’t expect to collect it all straight away this game doesn’t work like that as much as we’d like it too. In the reality of it you need a little bit to tide you over till it starts coming in.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 11:38:54 am »
You want to aim to be collecting half what your cleaning a week and the rest will come in over the course of the month if your lucky,id like to have in front of me in cash what I can clean in a month,that would be a good indicator of what’s achievable just by cleaning glass.

Marc Stock

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:26 am »
Welcome to the fold.

All good advice.

Sign a contract on sale, stipulate in the contract that he cannot approach your customers without your consent.

Ask to see his books, and if possible bank statements of the business. You need to check your not buying 'a list of names'

If you want help with the contract side of things i can send you my template that i use.

Forum Admin

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:18 am »
Seems like a great opportunity and start to a business, I would definitely work alongside him and see how you get on before committing to anything. That way you can learn more about the customers, business, current potential and potential for the future.

Best of luck, you'll get so much advice, tips and help on Clean It Up.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 04:13:20 pm »
in my opinion and its an opinion, hes probaly got the kit and everything ready but realised its quite hard building a business, i would buy it and canvas canvas canvas , you need 300 houses ish in my opinion for a one man full time job give or take , you will get there fairly quickly and spend the next three years refining the round

Michael Peterson

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 04:14:55 pm »
lots people will say you cant lots of people will say you can which ever you think you will be right

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 05:12:45 pm »
lots people will say you cant lots of people will say you can which ever you think you will be right
exactamundo

Richard Flower

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 01:33:45 am »
Thankyou everyone!!meant alot,been a difficult time. I really want to make a go of this and you guys Def seem to know your stuff. I'll get you details of van and system and breakdown of costs.

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 11:40:46 am »
Have you asked  your friend why he is selling ?
And more importantly got a truthfull answer ?   

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 11:45:09 am »
Another thought , if you are about to get this redundancy , maybe a big firm going under , it might be considered a good move to see if any of these 80 custies are facing the same fate as you .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 12:23:46 pm »
Just dont think what youve got down on paper for the month is what you will get paid for in the month.

£2000 on the books can soon be whittled down with not this timers, forgot to unlock gaters, cancels, holidays, messers, non payers etc etc.

I would say if you need 500 a week, make sure you have 600 a week on the books, gives you some slipping room.

Get enough customers for what you think you need, then get some more for good measure. youll see some of us moaning about getting behind due to weather etc, it is annoying running a week or more behind, but not half as stressfull as not having enough.