This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marc Stock

Electric Vans???
« on: January 05, 2018, 01:23:31 pm »
Do you think there is a case for the use of electric vans in window cleaning.

Cookie

Re: Electric Vans???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:32:11 pm »
Interesting question...

I did look into this briefly and I reckon for those with compact rounds it could be worth considering. The only downsides are:

• They're expensive to buy compared to diesel
  • They don't seem to make electric vans with high enough payloads at the moment
  • The batteries are stored underneath the chassis. This might cause problems in securing the tank
However I reckon in 10 to 15 years time electric vans will probably be the norm.

EandM

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:34:50 pm »
It's all been done before and the tech principle is pretty old.
There were large numbers of Electric Delivery Vans in London between 1890 - 1900, notably Harrods.
Elon Musk has just announced an Electric Pick Up Truck which looks pretty smart.
Range shouldn't be an issue but weight might be.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:40:14 pm »
I think there will be, but its going to take time. New London black cabs are now being built with electric motors. I don't know their payload but guess they are equivalent to a small to mid sized van. The tech and production costs will come down in time.  Electric vehicles will one day become the norm but we've a long way to go yet re: infrastructure to charge vehicles - all very well and good if you have a driveway/ garage but so many don't. I can see a time when e vehicle batteries will be standardised and battery banks where you exchange a low battery for a fresh one will replace petrol stations.

Cookie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 01:41:40 pm »
It's all been done before and the tech principle is pretty old.
There were large numbers of Electric Delivery Vans in London between 1890 - 1900, notably Harrods.
Elon Musk has just announced an Electric Pick Up Truck which looks pretty smart.
Range shouldn't be an issue but weight might be.

I used to drive electric milk floats for Unigate. Some of of the 4 wheelers you get could up to 40mph. 10 to 15mph for the 3 wheelers.

The following makes interesting reading:
https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans/news-and-advice/electric-vans/

EandM

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 02:02:40 pm »

I used to drive electric milk floats for Unigate. Some of of the 4 wheelers you get could up to 40mph. 10 to 15mph for the 3 wheelers.

The following makes interesting reading:
https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans/news-and-advice/electric-vans/
[/quote]

That's an excellent article !
 I'm a fan of certain electric applications and the useableness of an electric commercial vehicle is very high. It's probably not going to cover more than 50 miles per day and the flexibility and low down power make it ideal.
I like electric off road motorbikes too - it's possible to get something with the weight of a 4 stroke 125 cc and about four times the power coupled with a decent range - think they may really be on to something there,

Przemek Jersz

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 03:57:19 pm »
Hi
One of  me vans is electric, Nissan env200, absolutely love it , heated seats and steering wheel, the range is about 60miles max but I don’t carry more than 200l of water with the back pack
I also use it for carpet cleaning so cat fit in a proper tank
Low running cost
No tax
Service £49
Really nice to drive

Marc Stock

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 04:16:50 pm »
How is it with stop start driving.

Would many on off cycles affect the performance?

Przemek Jersz

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 08:20:45 pm »
You get 8 years warranty for the battery,  and I was told by the dealer that you can charge it as much as you like
I had it now for two years
So far so good

tlwcs

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:28:52 pm »
No for me, but I can understand hybrid. Once motion/energy is created then it's usable.
Had my metres changed and the guy who fitted them drove an electric van. He hated it. Radio, heater, fan, and wipers on, on a  cold day and the range was pants.
There's no way I would invest in one at this stage of the technology
Tony

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 09:02:44 pm »
if you could get one with a 1000kg payload then id buy one.
price higher/work harder!

chopsie

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 09:15:19 pm »
You can, an Iveco Daily and it's £60K with an range of 60 miles with the option of adding up to 2 more battery packs to extend the range at £20K per pack........... bargain  :o
chopsie

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 11:11:51 pm »
You can, an Iveco Daily and it's £60K with an range of 60 miles with the option of adding up to 2 more battery packs to extend the range at £20K per pack........... bargain  :o

if it was the size of a connect L2 at 25k id go for it. ;D
price higher/work harder!

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:38:26 pm »
Or just fit an engine to a trolley and drive that around.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 08:12:14 am »

ive drove one of these , good vans , very strange at first not hearing much inside when driving , it had over a tonne of news papers  on it and pulled very well

tlwcs

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 08:23:04 am »
The other problem I see with them is the national grid spikes when we put the kettle on after Corrie, how will it cope if 10% or drivers changed. Money needs spending on infrastructure and charging points. IMO

Marc Stock

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 11:38:55 am »
The other problem I see with them is the national grid spikes when we put the kettle on after Corrie, how will it cope if 10% or drivers changed. Money needs spending on infrastructure and charging points. IMO

Very good point.

Elfyn

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 02:37:17 pm »

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 04:19:02 pm »
It's a game of three halves!

Cookie

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 04:46:35 pm »
I used to go with my older bro when he was a Unigate milkman in Clifton, Bristol and earn some pocket money on a Saturday. In the quiet early hours he'd let me drive the float which was great when I was 13! Two pedals. Brake and "Go".

On the three wheelers the two pedals were the opposite way around to a car. Large brake pedal on the right & accelerator on the left - that caused some confusion!