Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Marketing courses
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:32:02 am »
 tomorrow  I have surgery to replace both my hip joints. So for 12-14 week I will not be doing any cleaning work. I am going to be soooo bored so thought I might put on a ‘training course’ I have mountains of time to prepare it and I think I could make it very interesting and useful. (And if i’m Honest I might make some money out of it ;D )

Over  the years I have spoken to lots on carpet cleaners both new starters and established guys and I think there are 3 areas that would prove useful to cleaners which i’ve Never really seen training course on

1) the anatomy of a leaflet. ( the ingredients a leaflet needs to be its most successful)
2) a  professional  sales presentation ( the performance you put on from walking in the customers front door to walking out with a job booked into the diary)
3) the marketing paper trail. ( from gaining the customer to finishing the work )

There are lots of training course about removing stains from carpets but never any about how to overcome the objection of.....” I need to speak to my wife/ husband..... i’ll Give you a call”

I think there is a real need for hands-on, real courses, especially the sales presentations course where people can  split into small group, take it In turns to be the customer/ carpet cleaner and practice an actual verbal sales presentation.

So send me a £100 and i’ll Put your name down :D ......any interest?? ( to be honest the thought of doing this has just popped into my head so it probably won’t happen)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

alex hynds

Re: Marketing courses
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:11:30 am »
I broke my ankle in 2 places a fortnight ago. Had surgery at the weekend to fix it and I'm now the proud owner of my own mecano set. No weight baring for up to 8 weeks and have to keep it elevated for much of that
Luckily I have a good experienced team to carry the load with work and we are busy as ever.
I've decided I'm going to use my recovery period wisely and do as much online learning as I can and always felt I didn't have time for.
I'm going to try and get my head around adwords once and for all.

gwrightson

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 03:26:10 pm »

Cheques in the post Mike,

Seriously, I think its an excellent idea .

Personally I,m pretty confident whilst engaging with customers , both on the phone and face to face and can be confident that a high percentage jobs I survey I win, It does not stop there, getting to know the customer whilst working, talking their language all helps , but I am sure their are cc out their who need a little help with their customer relationship, a little help with confidence building so all in all a good idea.
Hope you have a speedy recovery Mike.

Geoff.
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:23:02 pm »
The sales technique in home is worth at least £99.97  ;D the rest costing just 3p yes that’s just THREE pence.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 05:50:44 pm »
Mike

How is this going to impact on your daily gym routine? I ask because I know how easy it is to loose muscle mass and strength so easily....and so quickly.

I know physios  will be keen to get you back on your feet probably the day after surgery but that is no compensation to what you won’t be doing as you have always made clear in your posts.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 06:49:41 pm »
My biggest worry has been the impact on my training, and there is a serious lack of information on the web.

But in some ways it can only help, for 4yrs my leg  training has seriously been hampered to the point that I have the stereotypical ‘chicken legs’ my legs are very skinny compared to my upper body,  once my hips are replaced i’m Hoping to resume some hard leg training.

I’m hoping to be back in the gym within 2-3 weeks even though I will be on crutches. I see blokes at the gym in wheelchairs if they can do it so can I

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:39:47 pm »
Mike

Well good luck for tomorrow. At least your not a thespian or we’d be wishing you broke a leg as well.

I look forward to reading your progress blog from your hospital bed.

How long do they anticipate the operation will take? Have you had general anaesthetics before? Did you know that if you go for the morphine pump pain management it can block your plumbing up big style if you are not careful?

Take care and all the best.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

colin bird

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 06:45:42 am »
Good luck I hope you op goes well ,and I wish you a speedy recovery

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:33:44 am »
But in some ways it can only help, for 4yrs my leg  training has seriously been hampered to the point that I have the stereotypical ‘chicken legs’ my legs are very skinny compared to my upper body, 

Do these run in the family  ;D

I couldnt help it!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 10:18:24 am »
But in some ways it can only help, for 4yrs my leg  training has seriously been hampered to the point that I have the stereotypical ‘chicken legs’ my legs are very skinny compared to my upper body, 

I couldnt help it!

Please.... please no humour! I’m in a lot of pain

edward coller

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 05:05:46 pm »
wishing you all the best for the op and a swift recovery. Simon

robbo333

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 05:34:27 pm »
Mike
Hope it all goes well and you recover quickly.
As for your course, I actually think it's a good idea and I think you have a lot of 'real world' experience to offer.
Personally I wouldn't focus just on leaflets and marketing, I would focus on 'filling in the gaps' and doing it in one day.
So if someone has been on a carpet cleaning course, they then need to know about...
hence you are filling in the gaps. I know one day is a tall order (actually impossible) but think how much value you could add to a newbie in one day, if you told them a little bit of this, a little bit of that...etc.
Anyway good luck.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

benny d

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 09:05:15 pm »
Mike I hope it went well.
All the best.
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

John Higgins

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 11:14:26 am »

I couldnt help it!

Please.... please no humour! I’m in a lot of pain

Seems to be a lot of problems among older carpet cleaners with knees hips and lower body joints as you know I have dealt with lots of carpet cleaners over the years. Some customers for over 20 years.

you seem to have a dispropriate amount of this type of problems in your Industry. Maybe body movements involved in using a carpet cleaning wand can cause damage over the long term.

David Ware

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 01:11:06 pm »
All the best for a speedy recovery Mike. I've had TKN replacement this year, you have to except that your  will have good days and bad days. Don't over do the the rehab training its the long term gain not the short term.
David

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 04:25:32 pm »
Dave it’s a bit hard not to overdo the rehab , I have a list of exercise I have to do 4 times a day 10 reps each,  everytime I stand up from a chair creates so much pain I think...... ‘i’m Stood up I might as well do some exercises’  so i’m Doing them every half hour :D

This is what I have now instead of hip bones , titanium implants ( luckily I was able to melt down an old prochem wand I had to make them which saved me some money)

benny d

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 01:43:11 pm »
I can see in the second xray that the glide is still attached!  ;D
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »
Not too sure what they’ve done with the trigger answers on a postcard.