This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

H2GoKent

Overly sensitive? Too keen to dump?
« on: November 03, 2017, 03:04:57 pm »
I sometimes wonder if people need to develop thicker skins.
Many of us, me included have dumped people after they appear to show a lack of respect, or ask an awkward question, or forget we were coming etc etc. and you hear people saying I dumped this one or that one. When really a little patience could help you develop a really good round of work, if someone pays and you're happy with the work who cares I'm not really after a tender loving, relationship with my customers. Some customers have a gruff exterior but they are alright after a while.

If someone is genuinely difficult I just charge them more, or prioritise other work over theirs, but usually don't take any notice.

Messing me around for payment? Well that's a different matter  >:(
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

Walter Mitty

Re: Overly sensitive? Too keen to dump?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 04:06:14 pm »
I sometimes wonder if people need to develop thicker skins.
Many of us, me included have dumped people after they appear to show a lack of respect, or ask an awkward question, or forget we were coming etc etc. and you hear people saying I dumped this one or that one. When really a little patience could help you develop a really good round of work, if someone pays and you're happy with the work who cares I'm not really after a tender loving, relationship with my customers. Some customers have a gruff exterior but they are alright after a while.

If someone is genuinely difficult I just charge them more, or prioritise other work over theirs, but usually don't take any notice.

Messing me around for payment? Well that's a different matter  >:(

Exactly. It's a business transaction. It needs to be borne in mind though that a "not today" can often be the equivalent of not paying. It can work out the same as an employer sending them home early without notice, and docking pay.

Marc Stock

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:07:27 pm »
I agree.

Many window cleaners are far too sensitive. Personally many years ago when i very 1st started in my early 20's i used to get all upset if someone forgot to open the gate or didnt notice i cleaned them etc etc.

But then i realised...what is my relationship with these people? And it boils down to one thing, i provide a service and they pay for that service.

You do have to have thick skin. And alot of it depends on how you run your business. My focus is doing exactly what we promise our customers.

For me im interested in two things. Do they want thier windows cleaned?. And have they paid?

Thats it.

Plankton

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 04:10:45 pm »
Why put up with people that give you attitude when you can put your mind at ease by missing them. I could have had a bigger run if I didn't sell of a few hundred customers but then again some ehh... A lot were a pain in the arse! so it made more sense to sell than dump.

Slacky

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 05:56:53 pm »
I don’t think it’s that window cleaners are sensitive, I put it down to some being emotionally immature. Leaving them unable to realise the customers inability to see eye to eye with the shiner isn’t personal, it’s just the way they are. We’re all different, see.

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:09:15 pm »
The only important thing is can I get access and do they pay.  If either of those becomes a hassle then the relationship needs to end.

I run my business very clinically, I clean you pay. I'm not one for small talk, a polite hello how are you and thanks is all that's needed.

robbo333

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:27:11 pm »
I wouldn't say I'm sensitive, but I don't appreciate rudeness or bad manners.
I treat people and their properties with respect, and I expect to be treated in the same way.
Yes it is all about the money, but I work for myself and luckily, I have enough work where I can pick and choose who I clean for.
For me now, it's more about the people than the property. After all, I can clean anything for a fair price. It's just nice to work for nice people.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »
i very rarely dump work but ive dumped a couple lately.one has being diagnosed with alzheimers so i cant be bothered cleaning them anymore and the other was a family with 4 kids who were very slow with payment and wouldnt do BACS,cheque or standing order.

usually i dump because of slow/non payment generally.sometimes its because i cant be bothered and others if they start to lose their minds! ;D
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 06:55:04 pm »
Daz, I had to dump a retired couple, both with alzheimers! I turned up for the second clean and they didn't know who I was.
I had left them my leaflet (with my picture on) and I told them that the leaflet would prove I am their window cleaner.
Unfortunately they couldn't remember where they put the leaflet. 
Ho Hum  ::)roll
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!

lee_dewing

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 07:24:20 pm »
I wouldn't say I'm sensitive, but I don't appreciate rudeness or bad manners.
I treat people and their properties with respect, and I expect to be treated in the same way.
Yes it is all about the money, but I work for myself and luckily, I have enough work where I can pick and choose who I clean for.
For me now, it's more about the people than the property. After all, I can clean anything for a fair price. It's just nice to work for nice people.

👍 Strongly Agree 😉👍
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 07:57:56 pm »
Daz, I had to dump a retired couple, both with alzheimers! I turned up for the second clean and they didn't know who I was.
I had left them my leaflet (with my picture on) and I told them that the leaflet would prove I am their window cleaner.

ive had a few long standing customers lose their minds over the years.its very sad.i just stop going as inevitably its going to come to the point where they either get aggressive and accuse you of ripping them off,say that they ve never had a window cleaner or dont owe you any money! ::)roll :(

price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »
I agree, I have a bungalow I clean where the woman is nearly 100 years old. She is mentally well but unsteady on her feet. I also clean the neighbours who tells me this woman has had some falls recently and hurt herself. I feel relunctant to contact her in case my phone call or door knock results in her falling. The neighbour now knocks on my behalf.

JandS

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 09:57:06 pm »
I had one who was 104 when she died....about year before she died I had to drop her as she was coming to pay me with a 50 pence piece and holding her hand out for change....her son's were 78 and 80 and she outlived her daughter.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 10:07:06 pm »
I "had" one called jean, she tried twice to pay us with cigarette's , we went back a third time to collect and her carer told us she already had another window cleaner who had been doing them for years??

So have we!

if there was another cleaner he must of been turning up the day after us to clean "clean" windows because they were just as dirty as the rest of that round whenever we called.

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 10:59:20 pm »
I had a customer who died just before she was 101. I cleaned them until she died. Her son lived just over the road from her and in the end he took over paying. He did so reluctantly as he wanted her to have dignity to pay for whatever she wanted but he noticed her money was going fast. It turned out that the priest who went each wknd would take some money of her which she was happy to give. But she would forget and later give him some money again!  Perhaps its just me, but the one person you would have thought to know better and to have said "thank you but youve just gave me some!"  Would be the local priest!!

I used to hate cleaning hers as i would clean the inside windows too. But most of the time she spent it asleep in a rocking chair by the fire. I was scared that the banging of the ladders on the house would give her a heart attack or if she woke suddenly and saw me at the window etc she would have a heart attack.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Missing Link

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 11:47:37 pm »
I recently dropped a customer.  He owed for three cleans - so hadn't paid for six months from the first clean - and then paid me by bank transfer and sent me a text telling me he'd paid and complained about one of the window sills (I think he wanted the underneath of them cleaned; it wasn't that clear; his English isn't great).

I think it's a bit cheeky owing me for three cleans and then having a whinge about something.

Dropped. ;D
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Walter Mitty

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 06:24:06 pm »

I've had similar. It's a great pity but although I'm sympathetic, I also have to pay my bills.  I had one customer whoasked me if I had been cleaning her windows ever since she moved in. To tell the truth, I didn't know, so I asked when she moved in.  I think she said 1960. Oops! I'm getting on a bit now, but I'm not that old.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 06:30:18 pm »
I "had" one called jean, she tried twice to pay us with cigarette's ,

This reminded me of a customer I had many years ago. She tried to pay me with, I kid you not, a couple of bananas. She came up with the money after I explained. I turned up to clean again a few weeks later (wondering if I should) and she was very loud and abusive to me.  Fortunately, it was before I started cleaning. I don't think she had alzheimer's but she certainly had some kind of psychiatric issue.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 06:44:14 pm »
It's sad when they lose their marbles.

Had one a couple of years ago. Probably mid-90's age wise and she started getting "dithery" and taking time to "find" her money.

Then one day I turn up and knock the door and she looks at me and says "Who are you?" I say "I'm your window cleaner Mrs. H." (been calling over 10 years) She replies "Oh yes." And I clean and she pays me.

Finally I called and she said "You look just like my window cleaner!" I said "I am your window cleaner."
She said "No, you're not, my window cleaner is called Malcolm."

Me: "Yes that's me! I'm Malcolm, the window cleaner."
Her: "Yes I know, he's my window cleaner, not you."

And she shut the door.  ;D

A few months later a chap came out (her son - sorting out the estate) and told me she had gone into a home and died.

Sad. Lovely lady.

It's a game of three halves!

windowswashed

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 06:53:52 pm »
I dump bad payers, customers losing their marbles, those who keep wanting to miss a time without a reasonable excuse, verbally abusive rude ignorant people and customers with dogs that try to bite.
Bullpoop, bad manners,etc, I just let it go in one ear, process it and let it out the other ear without taking offence whilst listening to my music as I work  :)