Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marcushiggins

Which backup portable?
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:49:55 pm »
Hello, I'm a Prochem TM user but I'm looking for a backup portable. I've recently started regular work for a property management company where it's mostly communal apartment carpets - staircases, landings etc. Most of the time I can reach these with the TM but obviously I need to be in a position where I can always do these jobs - even the ones with no TM access. So I'm looking for a fairly capable portable, budgeting around £2-3k.

To be honest, I don't expect I'll use it more than once every week/fortnight but I still want to do a decent job when the time comes. I've finally  been to meet the nice folks at Solutions Cornwall to have a look there but naturally I want to keep my options open. I was hoping I might get some helpful advice here?

Many Thanks,

Marcus

Marcushiggins

Re: Which backup portable?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:12:28 pm »
Options considered so far - jag 8.4/cub
Prochem steempro powerplus
Airflex pro
Airflex storm (although this might be pushing the budget)
Various Alltec models.

As a newbie to the world of portables it makes my head spin weighing them all up!

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
Personally I would just go for a second hand  full kit.

john martin

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »
do your apartments have lifts ... will the machine have to stairclimb  with just you hauling ...or do you have someone to help lift

One you left out( in the full size machine catagory ) and in my opinion the best design and build  quality full size machine ...  Ashbys Enforcer
I would pick the 6.6 vac version in series  ...   for the most vac performance (or parallel )
Do you want heat ?  get the external Ashbys steammate ... its also the best inline heater

or for sheer convience get the 5.7 vac version enforcer with the steammate built in( or immersion + steammate )  ...  there is a guy here with six enforcers in that spec ? says the employees like the convience of built in ( employee techs usually know whats makes their life easier and job quicker  )

Im not some Ashbys fan btw , i just really believe its the best design

Marcushiggins

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:57:34 pm »
Mike - I'm a little wary of going second-hand because I wouldn't know the machines history, whether it's been used without defoamer/knocked about etc.

John - Not all of the apartments have lifts but I'm quite physically capable so not too concerned about that. With regards heat I do see it as a strong bonus as i often opt for conventional cleaning detergents but I'm also familiar enough now with detergent free cleaning that I could go down that route.

john martin

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:27:20 pm »
Mike - I'm a little wary of going second-hand because I wouldn't know the machines history, whether it's been used without defoamer/knocked about etc.

John - Not all of the apartments have lifts but I'm quite physically capable so not too concerned about that. With regards heat I do see it as a strong bonus as i often opt for conventional cleaning detergents but I'm also familiar enough now with detergent free cleaning that I could go down that route.

The enforcer will stairclimb  , i would describe myself as medium strength , i can haul it upstairs , if your strong u can do it easy enough , its not great for the back though to be hauling any full size machine a lot . I since got an alltec express for stair jobs ...  but there are disadvantages tot he smaller machines also if you have a lot of ground to cover the bigger machines will speed things up in terms of water capacity , often more power , better heat .
The last sentence you wrote there ... infers that " detergent free "  performs better if you dont have heat ...  really there is no correlation that supports that .
Sounds like the usual cleantalk sales pitch ...  look at a " detergent  free " product sy SPM ?   its made up of just phosphate or sodium carbonate ...and  some percarbonate bleach ....  those form the basis of most detergent products u care to mention ... but the detergent products will have a few  other ingredients aded to enhance performance .
So by removing the performance enhancing components are they left with something that performs better in colder temps ...no . it makes no difference .
Look at the big money companies like proctor and gamble , they formulated a cold water laundry product (tide cold water ) ...if you look into it i releys heavily on a boosting the enzyme content , and adding many more chemical components to gain acceptable performance at low temps .
If a product like spm or microsplitter ( another nonsence word ) worked better at low temps .... P&G could have saved themselves millions by just removing a few ingredients from regular tide ... to end up with just sodiyum carbonate or phosphate like the so called Microsplitters .
Its all nonsence ... cleantalk sales team will always push those products on discussion threads with all sorts of claims ... because ... they are really cheap to make ! high profit .... same with mmpower ... someone says nitro blew me away ... they will still say ...could have used mm power ...again , cheap and unfussy to prepare , no distilled water or additives needed just fill the conc into containers  at back of the unit with a hose pipe .  $$$

edward coller

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:28:02 pm »
I am a T/M user and use an Airflexmini pro as back up and now use it all time for upholstery cleaning. Mine has 2xvacs , 220psi pump, and an internal heater, which I rarly need to use, but that heats very well, and I can if required carry it up stairs. Extraction is very good for size of machine  and cleans really well. Probably agitate more than when using T/M and not being huge, it does require filling and emptying often, I use a 2 jet wand when using, rather than 4 jet with T/M.  was around £1,600. and is imo a great piece of kit. Best Simon.

mr muzzy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:28:32 pm »
if you want a portable you want a good one ,you need a built in heater ,twin vac
something like the altec machines ,ashbys enforcers might be a good machine but trying to move one of them things is unreal .
i have an extracta turbo really good i would say ,i have an extracta exel no were near the turbo
there are a lot of machines out there some good some not
there are after market heaters that sit beside or hang on your machine
some might say there great i have had two prochem and ashbys both ok when they work
don't work for long
good luck mate

Marcushiggins

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:20:34 pm »
Some good ideas, thanks guys! :)