Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MaxT

Newbie basic equipment (HWE) question
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:26:37 pm »
Just finished day course with CleanSmart Derek Bolton, was gonna get some more experience working with another company, and practice on friends carpets etc. before going out on my own, but...

I have a very low budget, and wanted to know what is the minimum spec equipment I could get away with for my first month or so. Of course, I'll upgrade in the near future, but I'm still building my knowledge up.

So,

Could I get away with a 135psi, single 2 stage vac? Or twin vac minimum, or definitely need more psi?

Honestly, I'm still learning very basic stuff. I'd be really grateful if you could tell me the disadvantage of low psi, and of smaller vac power.

For instance, could I still do as good a job as I would with 600psi, triple vac machine? What would I need to do to compensate?

If I did go in with a single vac, 135 psi jobby, would it just mean more passes with the wand, and yet more passes with vac only (to get decent standard of clean).

Thanks all.

edward coller

Re: Newbie basic equipment (HWE) question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:18:38 pm »
Imo yes you could do a job with that kit, depending on carpet type and state. You might need to prespray and agitate well after vacuming and and might require spotting and taking time. I have a T/M which is amazing, but also a 220psi twin vac with heater  for flats/apartments . This does a good job but takes lpnger and I would not do a minger with  it,  but thats me! If poss I would recommend twin vac or even a low moisture  system using encapsulation. People  buy you as much as your kit , be positive , keep customers  expectations realistic,  and be considerate in their homes and dont be too cheap! No Margin No Mission.Simon

MaxT

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:03:53 pm »
Thanks, yes I was gonna vacuum the hell out of carpet, prespray with microsplitter, agitate then HWE as taught on the course.

I just don't understand yet what extra psi means with the actual clean. Does it just blast dirt out more effectively? So, if it was low psi like 135, could I get same results by just going over and over it?

MaxT

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 07:07:33 pm »
Also, I'd like to do encap too, but of course still need CRB machine, bonnet machine extra anway.  Not sure it would be good business wise to just go full encap and nothing else as a newbie.

scott johns

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 07:32:25 pm »
just starting out carpet cleaning 135 psi and twin vac will be a great start your new venture it was only
15 years ago that these were top of the range portables. you will do a great job with these machines
so long as you you follow what you were taught on your course . 600psi machines will just allow you
to clean a lot quicker and do fewer passes but as a newbee I would stick to 135psi and grt the feel for
cleaning. all the best and happy cleaning

MaxT

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:41:06 pm »
Have opportunity to get a Craftex Maxi 5010 at a good price. But, a machine this size, will I need to constantly empty it for each room?

Says it has "1500W 2 stage x 1" vacuum motor. I don't know what 2 stage means, but it's only one motor. Will that be enough?

scott johns

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:46:05 pm »
no not powerfull enough whats your budget?
2 stage vac isn't enough to clean carpets now days it will take you ages to clean and you wont
get the wow factor that the client wants stick with a 3 stage twin vac and 135 you wont go wrong
where are you based ?

MaxT

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:49:12 pm »
Budget: "F" all. Dig in the sofa for spare change,  buy equipment from eBay etc. Lol.

Just wanted to know the lowest spec I can get away with.

So, 135 is ok, no absolute need for higher psi?

And 100% need 3 stage twin vac. Is that what I should aim at?

I'm in Buckinghamshire.

scott johns

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 07:57:35 pm »
yes that's what I started with over twenty years ago and I still have it don't use it now but I
would use it if I had to as I know you can do a great job with one. like I said 600 psi and triple vac which
I use will just do it exceptional a lot quicker as we do many jobs a day so need to be quicker but starting
out you wont fail with what I suggested shame you weren't ant closer as I am in sunny Essex I could have took you out for the day and showed you  the difference as you can regulate the pressure on my machine

MaxT

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 07:59:39 pm »
Don't mind coming to Essex. Fine by me, happy to practice.

tom20001

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 09:39:34 pm »
Best of luck Max t in your venture. 👍👍

You will do fine , be patient and ask the lads on here loads of questions. Great resource and the lads on here are fantastic to help

scott johns

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 08:07:07 pm »
hi max
sorry for delay but if you fancy coming to Essex its approx. 100 miles away from buckingshire
pass on your number and I give you a call to arrange a day with different cleaning tasks to
show you all the best

MaxT

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 08:43:35 pm »
Thanks Scott, don't know how to send messages here though.

tim handley

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 10:42:14 am »
my first machine was the twin vac 135 psi airflex turbo.  It was just fine to get me started and it very soon paid for itself. However, i was manhandling it up flights of stairs which is not good, also, you will soon start to wish for  more psi as well as longer hose lengths. So to start off yes, but you will soon be upgrading if your business kicks off, which i hope it does.

MaxT

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 01:58:06 pm »
my first machine was the twin vac 135 psi airflex turbo.  It was just fine to get me started and it very soon paid for itself. However, i was manhandling it up flights of stairs which is not good, also, you will soon start to wish for  more psi as well as longer hose lengths. So to start off yes, but you will soon be upgrading if your business kicks off, which i hope it does.

Yeah, that's what I mean. If I can get away with 135 psi to start with and then upgrade later. As long as I can get the same results, even if the work is harder with weaker machine.

Do any of you guys use more than 300psi anyway, even if the machine can go higher?

Robin Ray

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 07:51:15 pm »
I clean at 400- 500 psi most of the time and turn it down to 250 on stirs otherwise my stair tool jets damage the carpet. Jet size will also affect the psi you clean at.

tim handley

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:56 pm »
i run at 200 psi most of the time on carpets.................. works well...

Paul Clapham

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »
If you have very little   money to buy your carpet cleaning kit , how the hell are you going to run your business? you also  need money for marketing , marketing and even more marketing ..........insurance , your van , uniform, website , flyers, etc etc . .....and some drawings if you want to eat .

To set up a carpet cleaning business , you need at least £7.000 to £15.000 to buy all your kit and an old van , and then 12 months  wages in the bank to pay all your bills while you are trying to establish your business, and a very very supportive wife or partner , if you don't have that your business could been doomed from day one , sorry if all that sounds harsh , but that's a reality that very few mention on here !!!
This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:43 pm »
12 months  wages in the bank is tosh

if that were the case, half of us atleast on here would never of been able to set up

yes you need a plan and enough to buy your kit and a little cushion but in this industry you can and should make money from week one. Get some leaflets and the vehicle sign written, get out and pound some streets and get them leaflets delivered yourself. You will get enquiries from it and then there is no better advert than your van on someones driveway doing some work.

to say you need 12 months wages means you would need probably atleast 24k in the bank and then your money for kit on top - i'd love to see how many people on here started up with that sort of liquid cash in the bank - anyone?

Paul Clapham

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 05:16:23 pm »
12 months money in the bank to cover your monthly outgoings could be £6000 or £30,000 per year, we all have different out goings each month , and I don't know how anybody can sleep at night without have having your outgoings covered.

Personally I like ( and do ) to live a debt free life , no credit cards loans , no bank loans , no overdraft, no loans on my equipment or on my van , my mortgage is paid off , and my business is profitable , that's  what I call a stress free business  life.

To start a business with no capital in the bank? no thank you , all I am trying to say is don't give this guy or any new person setting up a business miss information about just buying a machine  ,  and WOW your a business owner !
This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.