This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M & C Window Cleaning

UPVC and Glue removal
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:10:05 pm »
Had a customer ask me recently if I can remove some glue that someone plastered all over his kitchen window and front door.  When I went round to inspect it, I found a right mess.  The windows, frames and the whole front door are covered in it.  It looks like but isn't evostik time bond, the old stuff that used to stink.  I don't think you can even buy the stuff any more.  It almost looks as if it's been sprayed on in places as it looks like webbing.  It is extremely tough stuff.  I broke three scraper blades just getting it off the glass.  Any ideas how I might get it off the upvc finish on his front door without ruining it?  It's a dark blue door so i've got to be careful. 
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

dave f

Re: UPVC and Glue removal
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:45:19 am »
stay well away any damage its on your toes. I always tell customers if I get asked to remove any thing other than the usual bird droppings dirt .that I am not insured for any damage caused plus its time consuming they wont pay extra be warned.

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:14:58 am »
Maybe it'd be better if he went to the police and then go through his home insurance

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:31 am »
Had a customer ask me recently if I can remove some glue that someone plastered all over his kitchen window and front door.  When I went round to inspect it, I found a right mess.  The windows, frames and the whole front door are covered in it.  It looks like but isn't evostik time bond, the old stuff that used to stink.  I don't think you can even buy the stuff any more.  It almost looks as if it's been sprayed on in places as it looks like webbing.  It is extremely tough stuff.  I broke three scraper blades just getting it off the glass.  Any ideas how I might get it off the upvc finish on his front door without ruining it?  It's a dark blue door so i've got to be careful.

good luck with that.id just say no.its not worth faffing about.we all like to please our customers but things like this could cause even more damage if you go scraping/using strong chemicals to try and get it off.
price higher/work harder!

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:06:31 am »
Must admit I was rather thinking that would be the best course.  Thanks guys
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

carl stanton

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 05:24:35 pm »
Best to ask what glue it actually is, if they know. Have they had any new flooring fitting? Could be splatter from that.

Type 20 solvent up call cleaner could do the job, hot hot water. Use plastic to scrape it off if possible. With GREAT risk you can use pipe freezing spray to make the compound brital which of course in turn could damage the upvc. I've cubes or ice packs could work but less effective shoukd the 'freeze off method work at all. The glue/ adhesive could have bonded with the upvc almost even melted in to it as such.

The customer would have to understand and agree it is a trial and error job that could leave the door less than perfect! I would get an agreement in email/writing

You say it's a blue door,. Some upvc products are sprayed the colour rather than the plastic being a blue colour itself, if the case is a painted upvc it could mean a repaint.