This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

zesty

Household bleach vs softwash recipe strength
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:41:23 am »
Slightly confused here.

Household bleach is usually around 4-6% sodium hypo.

The strength at which I clean render etc is usually less than 2%. It works.

So I'm surprised household bleach is so much stronger? Amazed there isn't more injuries from daily use.

Or am I wrong here? Is the household bleach 6% but at a lower SH strength?

Plankton

Re: Household bleach vs softwash recipe strength
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:36:40 pm »
No your right, you are slightly confused :) 6% active ingredient is very strong and I always point this out to my insurer when they ask do you carry chemicals "the products under your kitchen sink is stronger than I use" is my answer. It's not just sodium hypochlorite that's in your supermarket "bleech" along with numerous agents there's sodium hydroxide as well.

zesty

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:43:47 am »
I see,

So we are using a much weaker mix than shop bought bleach.

I find even a 1.5% mix is enough for most jobs, let alone 6%!

Mind you, the shop bought bleach is usually mixed with water to dilute it down, but still, it's strong stuff for joe public to be using daily...

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 01:28:29 pm »
I'm going to confuse everything here !!

household bleach contains ( usually less than  ) 6 % - thats 6% of sodium Hypochlorite  ( the strength of the Sodium Hypochorite is not shown ) so my guess would be that its 12% strength

when buying Sodium Hypochlorite at 12% your drum of chemical is 100% sodium Hypochlorite  if you thin this down say 3 parts water to 1 part Hypo your mix is still 33% compared to household 6% so is 5 times stronger

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

JandS

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:47:53 pm »
25 per cent
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

zesty

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 01:10:32 pm »
I'm going to confuse everything here !!

household bleach contains ( usually less than  ) 6 % - thats 6% of sodium Hypochlorite  ( the strength of the Sodium Hypochorite is not shown ) so my guess would be that its 12% strength

when buying Sodium Hypochlorite at 12% your drum of chemical is 100% sodium Hypochlorite  if you thin this down say 3 parts water to 1 part Hypo your mix is still 33% compared to household 6% so is 5 times stronger

Darran

Totally get that smudger,

I usually dilute mine down to 2-3%, so a lot less than household bleach...

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:35:32 pm »
does that actually work at that strength ??

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Plankton

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 07:28:36 pm »
2-3% of active ingredient... diluting 3l of 14% abv down to 3% by adding 11l of water.
Dilutions are based on the strength of the active ingredient, no point trying to over complicate it.

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 09:21:09 pm »
2-3% of active ingredient... diluting 3l of 14% abv down to 3% by adding 11l of water.
Dilutions are based on the strength of the active ingredient, no point trying to over complicate it.

???

JandS

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:07:37 pm »
Alan Ritchie is correct...to get 1 litre of 3% SH from a stock solution of 15% mix 200ml of SH with 800ml of water.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

zesty

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 09:42:57 am »
does that actually work at that strength ??

Darran

Hi Darren, yes it does, for cladding and render it’s absolutely fine. Not for roofs of course.

I use a 60 litre barrel, around 7-8 litres of of SH (14-15%), and the rest water mixed with surfactant. This produces around 3% or just under of SH mix.