Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dale Langdown

New Business Advice
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:27:11 pm »
Hi I'm new to this group so apologies if I'm going over the same subjects that you all feel you have read and commented on plenty of times. I'm planing on starting on my own and was hoping for some advice I'm currently just getting all the information I can available to see if it's the right step for my career rather than jumping in the deep end and regretting it.

I'm currently working as an Area manager in the commercial cleaning sector and we offer carpet cleaning services as an extra for current clients. I have attended the Prochem one day course and the Prochem one day stain removal courses about 5 years ago so feel I have a basic knowledge of carpet cleaning but would no way claim to be an expert. I was planning to attend course to improve my skills, knowledge and terminology of carpet cleaning.  Who would you recommend for this course? What machine would you recommend and length hose? I can't afford a truck mount at this current moment. I've never had to buy a machine so this advice would be very much appreciated. How long does it take to get your name out there and start to bring in regular work? Obviously I know that is a very open question with plenty of factors of marketing, quality of work and how hard you work but I'm just trying to get a feel for if the demand is there for this service if following the correct advice or would I need to run it along a part time job to start with?

Look forward to hear your responses?

John Kelly

Re: New Business Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:34:27 pm »
Give me a ring for a chat if you like. Make it after 3.

Robin Ray

Re: New Business Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:37:59 pm »
Hi,

It will likely depend on the type of carpet  you are cleaning predominately to which machine, method and solutions will benefit you the most. If you are working predominately in commercial cleaning am I right in thinking you are cleaning carpet tile and low profile synthetics the most? If thats the case going down the encapsulation route is probably the the most cost effective and profitable way. You will need a good upright vac, a cimex, orbital or rotary machine. The cimex is probably the quickest. You will also need brushes, pads and bonnets depending on the machine and surface a sprayer and a selection of good encapsulation products. All of this can be bought from Restoremate. You will be looking at about £3000 to get going. You can start encapping on a shoe string though. My slow speed rotary machine cost me £80 off of ebay and is bomb proof. So a second hand set up with a vac and chems could set you back less than £400- £500. It is also wise to get a small extraction machine as well though for stains that really need extracting. 

If you would like to go down the Hot Water Extraction route there is lots of information on this forum if you use the search bar.

When it comes to courses Prochem are pretty good however there are courses out there which cover just commercial carpet cleaning if that is your area such as this IRCRC course from Alltec https://alltec.co.uk/training/iicrc-commercial-carpet-care/

If you would like to become a "complete" carpet cleaner who covers all carpet types in a variety of setting It will be necessary to have all  the cleaning methods at your disposal. It is also wise to do three courses, Carpet cleaning, Upholstery cleaning and Spot and stain removal. These courses can be done at most of the main manufacturers and sometimes a course comes free when you buy a machine. I have personally attended courses at Prochem, Ashbys and Cleansmart and they were all good.

All the best wit your venture.