Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

My new Yellow Page has just arrived..........
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:49:42 pm »
No I didn't mistype the headline.

Ok I might be slightly exaggerating, but if this edition had been the old size it would have only been about 50 pages long. Its still ridiculously thin.

Judging by the adverts as well nobody is really spending money on their adverts as most seem to have gone back to basic little yellow boxes. In other words some businesses are covering this part of the marketing mix but not really holding out for much work to come from it.

On the plus side its so thin and small it was actually posted through our small letterbox; so at least it didn't get wet sitting outside the front door.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

cleanability

Re: My new Yellow Page has just arrived..........
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:06:56 am »
Had YP rep around recently. He said there probably won't be a YP around in 2 or 3 years. I still advertise in it as its so small you're not fighting for prominance and I think pensioner type ages will always use YP. In fact the older generation will use YP for a good few years if they could I think.

Chris

Hilton

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:53:32 am »
Think you are wrong about pensioners,
Those seventy and over or coming up are very computer savvy it would only have been a few years ago for these that they retired and almost certainly they and certainly their children would be very familiar with online shopping etc.

The days of assuming pensioners do everything the 'old way' are long gone.

As for YP nothing more than a door wedge these days, they got all they deserved after decades of ripping people off.

Michael H Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:13:02 pm »
I "teched" my folks up a few years ago and now my Mother is never off her Ipad. Internet shopping and streaming music is pretty normal now for the older folk.....

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:15:36 pm »
I still get good return but I'm afraid I'm not going in anymore it's gone that small I can focus on the future not on the past.

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:40:44 am »
Seems to be internet taking over now.

Robin Ray

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:04:51 am »
I have thought that it would be a good tool to advertise to the old group of people who still look to the yellow pages. I haven't had the chance to find out though as when I enquire about the book only Yell only seem to want to sell me online advertising. Yell online IMO is complete waste of time, what is the difference between them and everyone else online. From what I have seen Yell are the cause of their own demise.
I wouldn't mind betting Yell as a group cease to exist entirely in the next few years.

Jennifer w

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 12:43:15 pm »
"Seems to be the internet taking over now"..........

You hardly need to be poirot to work that out!!!!

Michael H Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 03:24:19 pm »
"Seems to be the internet taking over now"..........

You hardly need to be poirot to work that out!!!!

"Ah Hastings, zis internet 'as snuck upon us wizzout my noticing"  ;D

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 05:25:49 pm »
Well there ya go.....end of story  :)

The Yellow Pages will no longer be published on paper from next year onwards, more than five decades after it launched in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41125865

Adam P

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 12:29:47 am »
About time. It had a good run. If there is any sort of demand for print I'm sure someone will fill the tiny gap they have left. Now send all their users to my online yell ads please

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 10:47:28 pm »
I wonder when the last run will be?

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 07:12:57 pm »
My BT phone book has just arrived now.

Once the residential pages ran to over 1000 in length. Now the residential part is just 202 pages.

With the residential, business and business advertising sections the whole thing comes in at just 462 pages. Presumably this is as much to do with the fact majority of people no longer have either a land line or it's not with BT.

it's interesting that Virgin, TalkTalk and he like don't publish a directory. Obviously you can search for BT landlines through their website. Do the other providers of landlines also publish directories or make their users numbers available for an online search?

And this new directory was again small enough to come through the letterbox .

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way