Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nathankaye

video cleaning front windows
« on: August 09, 2017, 04:04:23 pm »
Come on guys this forum is about helping and helping newbies I suppose. Recently new ones have been asking all sorts of questions on here and yes youtube is full of vids anyway. So why not stick some up on this forum to help, so please if you feel need to criticize than please feel free to do a quick vid whilst your out working anyway to add to this one on the thread and be helpful.
(No excuses, im a one man band and can buy out 3 mins to do a video so it wont hurt you to do so either)

https://youtu.be/yUHH-8nB1H0

Disclaimer 😂😂
I had headphones on with a speaker but It hasnt picked up the speech too great, sorry.

Ok so i use a  14inch brush, 6 jets which for me sits in snuggly with most windows and i try to point this out on the video along with trying to show the flow (you may hear me say this).
Also its a 4wkly clean so i dont clean the frames every time as they dont need doing so (but greater durations and especially first cleans its a must to clean the frames to stop dirt falling back onto the wet windows and making a hash of your work) but on this vid i do demonstrate how i do so. where im cleaning the frames sidewards on, half my brush and jets are cleaning the frames whilst the battom half of the brush and remaining 3 jets are cleaning/rinsing the glass as well or aiding the rinse of dirty water from the top part of the frame.

Hope this helps and be lovely to see other posts vids themselves and not old vids they did years ago.

(Thought i would go back and highlight some points being brought into question)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

chris turner

Re: video cleaning front windows
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:22:08 pm »
Do we really have to watch you cleaning Windows again  ;D

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:25:39 pm »
You forgot to clean the door 🚪

8weekly

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:28:11 pm »
Hi ho, hi ho....  ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »
Do we really have to watch you cleaning Windows again  ;D

;D ;D  haha ive just watched it back and yes its a little boring!!  Especially with speech not being picked up

But did say its mostly for newbies
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 04:40:47 pm »

I always clean the door last after ive been paid. When i first started i would do the door and then when they open it to pay and have a quick chat, they would end up with a wet carpet. Since then i wait until they pay or if not in, after ive posted a ticket.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 05:01:38 pm »
I don't understand why you bother, it strikes me as being purely narcissistic to be honest.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »
I don't understand why you bother, it strikes me as being purely narcissistic to be honest.

Quite honestly its the opposite. I dont know how many vids i watched and researched switching from trad to wfp or for soft washing or jet washing.
I also got plenty of help n advice from this forum in between the sarcasm of peoples comments.
Its nice to be at the other side and give advice n help to ones.
Like i said it breaks up the boredom and only takes a couple of mins to help someone.      Going on a big bike ride to lovely places to raise money isnt quite a hardship either but 5 mins out a day to help rather than criticise can go a long way.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 05:39:29 pm »
You're right, its more of a holiday than a hardship.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 06:29:19 pm »
whats laughable nathan is you saying you cleaned 15 houses in 2 and a half hours on another video.its BS mate!some of us have been window cleaners for well over 20 years and know roughly how many an hour we can clean(3 or 4 an hour,5 at a push).

how come you can clean more than anyone else in the same time?...because its either BS or your doing some serious corner cutting! ;D..........oh and as well as doing 3 or 4 videos! ;D
price higher/work harder!

chris turner

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 06:37:16 pm »
With all due respect Nathan, I wouldn't be encouraging any newbies to watch and learn from that video as it would be asking for trouble.
It may work well for you but for a beginner I would strongly recommend not to rinse on the glass.
If a newbie sticks a 14 inch flocked brush on the end of their pole and starts trying to rinse on the glass then they'll be losing customers as quick as they gain them.

I do appreciate you are trying to help others, which is commendable, but if I'm totally honest you often come across as cutting corners to try and get through as much as work as possible.
You can't teach speed, you can only teach technique,  the speed eventually follows.

If you really want to teach newbies then slow down, show them the basics, different techniques for certain windows etc etc. Let them figure out the speed they are capable of once they know what they're doing.
If someone watches your videos to learn the game and thinks that's the industry standard and that's how they need to work from the get go, then you could have the opposite effect of what your trying to achieve and be setting them up for failure.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 07:07:18 pm »

I always clean the door last after ive been paid. When i first started i would do the door and then when they open it to pay and have a quick chat, they would end up with a wet carpet. Since then i wait until they pay or if not in, after ive posted a ticket.
Why don't you ring the bell before you start the downstairs window,  saves you hanging about doing nothing while you're waiting for them to come to the door with the money. Also I think your video shows perfectly how it is better to use a standard size brush on domestic work rather than the 14" one you are using.

chris turner

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:45 pm »
You are brave for putting up videos il give you that ;D
Most of us don't have the balls to do it as we know the guns come out and everyone will start taking shots at us. It's happened many a times over the years. Ask vin (perfect windows), it drove him off the forum for a while!

KS Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:36 pm »
whats laughable nathan is you saying you cleaned 15 houses in 2 and a half hours on another video.its BS mate!some of us have been window cleaners for well over 20 years and know roughly how many an hour we can clean(3 or 4 an hour,5 at a push).

how come you can clean more than anyone else in the same time?...because its either BS or your doing some serious corner cutting! ;D..........oh and as well as doing 3 or 4 videos! ;D
Because you and some others can only clean 5 houses an hour doesn't mean others can't clean more. I have also come under fire on here for the amount of houses I clean per hour, I don't lose any sleep over it if some think it's BS, I know what I can and can't do.  Do I cut corners? I might be a little bit splash and dash compared to some on here but the most important thing is that my customers are happy with the job I do and the service I provide. Just to throw a curve ball in there, perhaps some people over clean to justify the prices they charge?

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 09:59:58 pm »

You are more than welcome to spend a day or half a day working with me to find out daz.
Also i showed how small those houses were buddy and compact on that video. Also bear in mind they are 4weekly and not covered in tree sap or worse.
Finally technique mate plays a huge part as well as equipment. Yes im 2 yrs on wfp and over 13yrs on trad, working day after day cleaning tediously and you dont think technique can be perfected if you push yourself. As for instance on the 2 techniques i did a vid on trad cleaning. Using either one of those methods would increase your speed especially doing so day in day out. Someone commented on that vid how they go slow and mop a window, squeegee a window.....what a slow process!! Someone gave comment how they go slow so not to have much detailing to do.........well i disagree!! Push yourself and perfect your technique because when you do, you might suprise yourself what your capeable off!!!

So if you wanna believe its Bull, then thats your choice. If others think speed equals poor quality than thats their problem to deal with. If ones want to flood each window to convince themselves that a good job is done then so be it and finally the ones who except that they cant do what others can do, then i feel sorry for you infact i pity you and the likes of some comments because you limit yourselfs with limitations placed by your minds eye and not the reality of what you can achieve!!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 10:09:48 pm »
With all due respect Nathan, I wouldn't be encouraging any newbies to watch and learn from that video as it would be asking for trouble.
It may work well for you but for a beginner I would strongly recommend not to rinse on the glass.
If a newbie sticks a 14 inch flocked brush on the end of their pole and starts trying to rinse on the glass then they'll be losing customers as quick as they gain them.

I do appreciate you are trying to help others, which is commendable, but if I'm totally honest you often come across as cutting corners to try and get through as much as work as possible.
You can't teach speed, you can only teach technique,  the speed eventually follows.

If you really want to teach newbies then slow down, show them the basics, different techniques for certain windows etc etc. Let them figure out the speed they are capable of once they know what they're doing.
If someone watches your videos to learn the game and thinks that's the industry standard and that's how they need to work from the get go, then you could have the opposite effect of what your trying to achieve and be setting them up for failure.

Some good points!
As can tell from this vid it was kinda spontaneous, resting my phone on top of the van. Didnt realise i wasnt in shot most of the time sadly. Also the bluetooth headset I have with microphone built in didnt help as I am actually explaining what im doing and why, but sadly it didnt get picked up for some reason. So this has been a learning curve for doing these vids and I do plan on doing more thats why I have this you tube channel and i will be focusing on the steps/points you mentioned. Lol just not be highlighting them too much on this forum

((Just an additional point its a dual trim monofilament brush, so rinsing on the glass is ok, even for newbies))
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 10:13:36 pm »
I like your videos nathan, but this one seemed a bit pointless really, just some chap cleaning windows...

it was like watching paint dry  :'(

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 10:22:12 pm »

You are more than welcome to spend a day or half a day working with me to find out daz.
Also i showed how small those houses were buddy and compact on that video. Also bear in mind they are 4weekly and not covered in tree sap or worse.
Finally technique mate plays a huge part as well as equipment. Yes im 2 yrs on wfp and over 13yrs on trad, working day after day cleaning tediously and you dont think technique can be perfected if you push yourself. As for instance on the 2 techniques i did a vid on trad cleaning. Using either one of those methods would increase your speed especially doing so day in day out. Someone commented on that vid how they go slow and mop a window, squeegee a window.....what a slow process!! Someone gave comment how they go slow so not to have much detailing to do.........well i disagree!! Push yourself and perfect your technique because when you do, you might suprise yourself what your capeable off!!!

So if you wanna believe its Bull, then thats your choice. If others think speed equals poor quality than thats their problem to deal with. If ones want to flood each window to convince themselves that a good job is done then so be it and finally the ones who except that they cant do what others can do, then i feel sorry for you infact i pity you and the likes of some comments because you limit yourselfs with limitations placed by your minds eye and not the reality of what you can achieve!!

steady and brisk is how i like to work these days mate. ;D

running round like a busy fool is not for me anymore nathan.(esp if the customer is in!) ;D
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 10:36:40 pm »
I like your videos nathan, but this one seemed a bit pointless really, just some chap cleaning windows...

it was like watching paint dry  :'(

Yep im gonna delete soon. I thought with having a bluetooth microphone it would pick up the speech but it hasnt done so. When i uploaded it from my phone I thought it might just be my speakers and that a laptop or whatever would play the speech louder. But I have just chrome casted it to my TV and on full pelt on sound you cant hear me which goes against what i was trying to achieve  :'(

In answer to someone else comment about the 14inch brush, when im cleaning the downstairs bay and working from the side, i do say on vid (thats why this copy is pointless) that i have a 14inch brush, half the brush is cleaning the top frame with 3 jets on, and half the brush is cleaning top line of the window again with 3 jets on, which not only aids in shifting any dirt from the top frame but also on the window as well.   So the idiots who say about cutting corners with speed or whatever get off your high horses and correct your stubborn way of thinking.
Would i have compact rounds and be in this job for over 15 yrs if i did a crap job splashing windows and the prices that my customers pay compared to local competition.   I do wonder how some of you guys actually work, its like living in dark ages from what alot of you think. Youve been in a rut for so long that when others come along with new ideas, styles  ((and what makes me laugh is that because ive not been on this forum long or on wfp long you think im a newbie)) and results you close your mind to it because in your tiny minds if youve not been able to do it in X amount of years then no one can.
Thats why people like me and others including Lee may come across as a threat perhaps.........bet your glad Lee isnt operating in your areas im guessing.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 10:39:57 pm »

steady and brisk is how i like to work these days mate. ;D

running round like a busy fool is not for me anymore nathan.(esp if the customer is in!) ;D

I take it your not going to take him up on his offer of teaching you how to clean windows the right way ? lol.