Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul alan

still no joy with this tank
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:17:38 pm »
I still have a 650ltr tank with frame that needs bolting in to my transit swb t280.

firstly l was having my brother in law bolt this through the chasis, but he's since started his own business as a fitter and is busy so dont want to bother him.

Since l have after reading what other people do decided to get it bolted to the floor, so today l have been to the second garage that say they wouldnt take the job on! the guy says he would have to take away the exhaust and petrol tank to do the job and would then have trouble "lining" it all back up? 4-6 hours work?

Wish l could just do the job myself but I'm not confident at all with this.

So l'm stuck with an IBC strapped down in the van and a proper tank with frame in the back garden.

Is anyone on here handy with a drill and doesnt live too far from north wales?

The wife makes a great brew and the kids are great "helper outers".

failing that has anyone got any good suggestions as this tank must go in.

Cheers

8weekly

Re: still no joy with this tank
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:38:37 am »
I still have a 650ltr tank with frame that needs bolting in to my transit swb t280.

firstly l was having my brother in law bolt this through the chasis, but he's since started his own business as a fitter and is busy so dont want to bother him.

Since l have after reading what other people do decided to get it bolted to the floor, so today l have been to the second garage that say they wouldnt take the job on! the guy says he would have to take away the exhaust and petrol tank to do the job and would then have trouble "lining" it all back up? 4-6 hours work?

Wish l could just do the job myself but I'm not confident at all with this.

So l'm stuck with an IBC strapped down in the van and a proper tank with frame in the back garden.

Is anyone on here handy with a drill and doesnt live too far from north wales?

The wife makes a great brew and the kids are great "helper outers".

failing that has anyone got any good suggestions as this tank must go in.

Cheers
Hard to resist. A morning's work for a cup of tea and being annoyed by kids.

paul alan

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:10:23 am »
And that lovely warm feeling you get from knowing you've done a good deed! £

andyM

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 09:19:13 am »
I'm surprised that a decent garage can't do that for you?
But saying that finding a decent garage is a job in itself!
One of the Plebs

Don Kee

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:32:38 am »
Went to the garage when I had the T280 and it took us no more than 30mins to fit

Up on a ramp with me in the back of the van, they dropped the fuel tank (not take it off, obvs make sure you have minimal fuel) and I drilled the holes in from the inside (being careful not to hit the tank!!)
They then held the spreaders and nuts in place (oi oi!) and I tightened the bolts
Fuel tank back on properly and job jobbed

Think your garage are just being a bunch of mincers, but if you're struggling to sort and want to get rid of your tank then I'll have it off you  ;D ;D ;D

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 10:18:35 am »
Why not take it to a few more garages and ask them? Surely one will say yes...youve only tried one garage.

Of it was me I'd get some good axle stands and get under there and figure it out..it can't be that hard

Matt.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 11:00:42 am »
Pop down to ur local car body repair shop, I used the one local to me, they bolted it down and put a frame underneath the same size/shape as base of tank.

Scrimble

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 12:24:04 pm »
why dont you just man up and do it yourself?

can you not operate a drill?  do you know how to use a spanner?

chris turner

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 02:12:05 pm »

Your a spanner.

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 02:12:32 pm »
You're a spanner.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

chris turner

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:30:49 pm »
You're a spanner.

I like to think of myself as more of a tool.

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 04:35:50 pm »
Any commercial van body builder will be able to help you.

We used to use this company many years ago
www.cpdbodies.co.uk
 (page the screen down and you will see the type of work they do. I'm sure there will be some company near you doing similar.)

If I remember correctly that fitted a van with one of those flashing amber warning bars across the roof, something our fitters in the garage should have been easily able to do.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

paul alan

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 06:32:49 pm »

my 4 old son can operate a drill and use a spanner! Does that mean he could safely install something that weighs around 700k when full into a vehicle?  Exercising caution doesnt make me any less of a man you..........

Why dont you iust grow up?

What a daft thing to say....

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 06:34:23 pm »
I'm surprised that a decent garage can't do that for you?
But saying that finding a decent garage is a job in itself!

Yeah so am l, they probably dont have the experience with this.

paul alan

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 06:35:34 pm »
Pop down to ur local car body repair shop, I used the one local to me, they bolted it down and put a frame underneath the same size/shape as base of tank.
I actualy contacted one and he's going to have a look tomorrow.

paul alan

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 06:36:18 pm »
Any commercial van body builder will be able to help you.

We used to use this company many years ago
www.cpdbodies.co.uk
 (page the screen down and you will see the type of work they do. I'm sure there will be some company near you doing similar.)

If I remember correctly that fitted a van with one of those flashing amber warning bars across the roof, something our fitters in the garage should have been easily able to do.

Will check the link, thanks spruce.

Scrimble

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 06:47:23 pm »

my 4 old son can operate a drill and use a spanner! Does that mean he could safely install something that weighs around 700k when full into a vehicle?  Exercising caution doesnt make me any less of a man you..........

all a garage or anyone else is going to do is drill holes and put some bolts in with thick washers, at least m8 or even m10 size

and you cant do that because? 

I am grown up in fact, so grown up that I can drill holes and insert a bolt, then tighten it up after.

chris turner

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 07:33:59 pm »

all a garage or anyone else is going to do is drill holes and put some bolts in with thick washers, at least m8 or even m10 size

I am grown up in fact, so grown up that I can drill holes and insert a bolt, then tighten it up after.

Spanners usually are very useful at those things.

paul alan

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 07:45:22 pm »
Because..... theres the possibilty of getting it wrong which could cost me a lot of money or if its unsafe even worse!

Either your making it sound realy simple or l'm overthinking it.

You could say to fly a plane all you do is jump in the control pit, put your belt on, start the engines and pull the lever back then your golden!  I know bolting a tank isnt realy compareable but my point is there must be more to it than just drilling some holes and putting some bolts with washers on through and hoping for the best.

I dont know very much about the safety aspects of correctly securing a very heavy load but l know this, if it aint done properly it could be disasterous.

Thats enough to make me think twice about whipping my drill out and"having a go"

Stoots

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 08:11:14 am »

I agree.

But not everyone these days are "proper men" in this regard. Its died out, Im old school and was brought up watching my dad do every d.I.y task imaginable from concreting to building a house extension etc you name it he did it himself.  Personally there's not much  I won't attempt to d.I.y, none of its rocket science just takes common sense and a bit of nouse.

There are so called "men" these days that can't even put up a shelf, it must be embarrassing for their partners when they tell there friends my husband had to call someone in to fix that broken fence panel etc. 

But that's the way society is, women taking more powerful positions and men becoming more feminine.

It used to be women cooked and cleaned and men fixed things and we're manly, these days the boundary have crossed over.

Nowadays you have big a big Jesse who can't bolt a tank it

Lol no offence but it's kinda true  ;D