Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

What was your total gross turnover carpet/upho;stery cleaning last year?

less than £9k
9.3%
10 (9.3%)
£10k - £25k
24.3%
26 (24.3%)
£26k - £35k
12.1%
13 (12.1%)
£36k - £45k
17.8%
19 (17.8%)
£46k plus
36.4%
39 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Liahona

Re: Moneymatters
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2006, 08:35:58 pm »
We have gone off the subject a bit but I know thats not too unusual. Anyway, Damien, you are having a laugh surely. If you are serious then what you are saying is....... You pre-spray not only cold but also use a chemical that could be at least 10 hours old. Some chemicals although not all lose their ability to do as they should the longer they are in solution. Then you carry a portable with cleaning solution in it to the next job. Not knowing what you may need to clean the next textile I take it you are hoping it is the same as the textile you have just cleaned. Should I then take it you empty your machine to the nearest grate? This being the case is a bigger laugh than pre-spraying cold. Each to their own but if you clean like this, well it wont be long till you arent cleaning at all. Best, Dave.

colin thomas

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2006, 08:51:26 pm »
i started with about 10 other guys in a truck-mount franchise and now there are only 3 of us left, the others went broke, i think that basically there are a lot of fibbers out there, when it comes to earnings, for some reason or another, in the carpet cleaning industry, nobody likes to say they are not doing well.  cb
colin thomas

Damian

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2006, 09:13:31 pm »
Dave what works for you is fine. What works for me is finer-to me. We all have different ways of doing things and my way works just ticketyboo thankyou. As for not cleaning long then well 18 years at it and busier than ever? Dunno-it may go pete tongue next week-who knows? You openly admit to causing arguments in earlier threads? Friends with stphen edwards? lol. The post was about set up times on porty's-not condemning someones work. I understand that you say you are in fine cleaning-fine. I do not want nor look for that side of cleaning am way too busy seeing my regular custy's.

P.S My name is spelt Damian.  ;D
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

rich hand

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2006, 09:37:20 pm »
Damian my methods are almost identical to yours. I too prespray cold and it has NEVER been a problem. ALL my customers are happy and I have never had a call back in 800 jobs.

I use spitfire advanced btw and only water for HWE which is usually luke warm atleast. I only need 2 trips to the van to get all my gear out, could manage it in 1 if I wanted; I have been a competetive athlete for 12 years  >:( its easy!

5X4 lounge carpet in and out 40 minutes, inc furniture moving, for the best result poss. You would love to see me do the edges  >:(

£/time = ;D

rich hand

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2006, 09:46:08 pm »
Mike, you cant mate. 20 mins is a good time though, well done. Best, Dave.

Dave, are you really that old  ;)

Damian

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2006, 09:48:51 pm »
Amen Rich! bout the same times i reck? Not splash and dash at all but just work very effectively!! Aint got time to hang around-money to be made! As long as stains are removed and its touch dry(fully in less than an hour) im happy and walk away from site.  ;D Personally im not an athlete-look like one! But can box a little  ;)

rich hand

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2006, 09:52:38 pm »
Thats right mate, effective and efficient and splash and dash it certainly need not be! Keep it going  :)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2006, 09:59:54 pm »
You have to be fit at this game it's manditory, Damian where did you used to box? I used to box in my younger years :o sheff boys club and the catholic club just up from Shalesmoor.

Shaun

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2006, 10:13:48 pm »
No haven't boxxed since I was in my early 20's, the bloke next door owns the Sheffield Boxing Centre on Burton St Hillsborough.

Sheffield

Damian

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2006, 10:20:46 pm »
Damian my machine weighs 47kilos!!! But its not a problem; the service is definately there, and her majesty is gorgeous!!!!!!!
Rich what have ya got? my prochem is dunno weight? the ninja i guess all up is 25 to 30 kilo's Neither am sure you will agree are problematic  ;) You sound bout as fit as me! Must cut out the bacon butties at dinner! haha ;D

rich hand

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2006, 10:50:58 pm »
Its actually a modest Truvox President (off ebay). Bacon butties are nothin when your a rapid cc, you wanna get onto 12' subways if you can find em. I lived on these when I had a franchise in Oz and I still lost weight!

Now this thread has diverted big time but thats fine; btw I had 3 years competing in tkd before becoming a sprinter 8 yr ago so we could all mix it for a true change of pace  ;D

What do you eat Shaun?  ;)

carpetclean

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2006, 08:25:54 am »
i started with about 10 other guys in a truck-mount franchise and now there are only 3 of us left, the others went broke, i think that basically there are a lot of fibbers out there, when it comes to earnings, for some reason or another, in the carpet cleaning industry, nobody likes to say they are not doing well.  cb

i for for one dont mind saying its tough getting started in this game . at the moment i find it to be an expensive hobby that i enjoy and though i have took in over £17k part time in the first year i have spent it all on re investment. it will be another couple of years providing it continues to grow before i can make a living out of it.
incidentally i was called out to do a job and when i got there the woman was looking at me puzzled said i looked different, as i had cleaned her carpets many times  [ i dont think ] i asked her where she got my number and she explained it was from the van in front of my house . i told her it was my next door neighbour  who she used ,who has been at it 37 yrs. i went a ahead any way and she was so impressed i have took over cleaning not only her house but the other properties she rents out so a stroke of luck with a written wrong number.
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

murky

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2006, 10:00:23 am »
Just a word of warning.
Don't empty your machine down the drain!
I did once. I didn't know the lady of the house worked for the Health and Safety she politly but firmly warned me against it, as people used to pour paint, engine oil etc down them.
Then after it had been filtered we have to drink the end product
It is highly illegal now.
You can chuck your waste down the loo or sink ok but not the roadside drain as thats for storm water only.
Thats why you don't see window cleaners slopping their buckets down the gutters any more

carpetclean

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2006, 10:08:22 am »
water goes down the man hole cover on the front drive which is the main sewer
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2006, 12:42:05 pm »

Also what do you say to 'chatty' clients? Most are fine and you can get a rapport that will help your business, but some just won't take the hint and I feel I'm being rude if I say I have to get on.

One 2hr job ended up 3hrs. As I rarely have more than one job a day it wasn't an issue, but I'm starting to quote a bit cheaper on smaller jobs and that's changing.

carpetclean

« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2006, 05:23:58 pm »
i think its a good thing to chat to clients as time given is an investment and they appreciate on the whole if you take time to explain procedure . they will remember you when they come to want it done again
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed