This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nathankaye

why stick to old school methods??
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:26:33 am »
Having lunch at a delightful petrol station floor court and local shiners turn up.
Doing a good job, but using ladders to reach the window and hes moving ladders 3 times per window!  Painfully slow to watch, but entertaining whilst eating  ;D
Not even working from a trad pole but how much quicker would it have been wfp and easier  or even wagtail on a pole

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Bungle

Re: why stick to old school methods??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:19:01 pm »
You can tell he's a part timer. Still got white legs  :D
We look at them, they look through them.

Tosh

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
You should've shown him your balls.

In yer tank.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:32:13 pm »
I enjoy working with trad tools but for years hated working with ladders.  I remember too thinking, 'How can you clean windows with a brush on a pole' when a customer first told me about it. But now, ten years in with wfp, I love it.  I do as much as possible with it and rarely use my trad gear.  My ladders were used about 3x last year.  And that's the way I like it.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:45:39 pm »
I enjoy working with trad tools but for years hated working with ladders.  I remember too thinking, 'How can you clean windows with a brush on a pole' when a customer first told me about it. But now, ten years in with wfp, I love it.  I do as much as possible with it and rarely use my trad gear.  My ladders were used about 3x last year.  And that's the way I like it.

Absolutely, myself too. Im only 2yrs in, but could kick myself for not doing it sooner! Although, I think I have actually picked the best time to switch over as the equipment has improved tremendously.  I remember watching two guys take forever building a pole up section by section to get to a four storey high flats whilst I polished of two house traditionally and laughing to myself.

But ive stopped tryingbto convince other shiners to switch when they come up for a chat. As they were still at the disbelief stage and taking work of people doing a bad job with wfp (though they never blame a trad guy when they take his work for doing a bad job).
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:15:03 pm »
theres still room for a bit of squeegee work and i must admit i enjoy the change from poling all day.(although its rare from a ladder usually ground floor windows that are awkward to clean with wfp).

most of the die hard tradders who work near me have even gone WFP over the last year or so.
price higher/work harder!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:07:42 pm »
theres still room for a bit of squeegee work and i must admit i enjoy the change from poling all day.(although its rare from a ladder usually ground floor windows that are awkward to clean with wfp).

most of the die hard tradders who work near me have even gone WFP over the last year or so.
I like doing insides traditional...makes a change as you say :)

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:27 pm »
Glad i cam straight into wfp, what a ballache it must have been tradding all day long.

Don Kee

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 08:27:19 pm »
Most shops, actually all shops I've ever done I've done trad.
Would leave a pool of water outside the front of the shop for their customers I didn't....

I'd also suggest that on the bigger panes of glass on some shops fronts, trad isn't that much slower than wfp, especially on hydrophyllic glass (the glass that beads) and the shops on a busy road so more dusty

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 09:13:20 pm »
Most shops, actually all shops I've ever done I've done trad.
Would leave a pool of water outside the front of the shop for their customers I didn't....

I'd also suggest that on the bigger panes of glass on some shops fronts, trad isn't that much slower than wfp, especially on hydrophyllic glass (the glass that beads) and the shops on a busy road so more dusty

Depends when your cleaning them.
When i did shop work i also did trad work but most (on a busy high street) were done before opening or as they were opening.
But im not having a dig at the trad work, more saying that even a trad pole with perhaps a wagtail would speed things up.
This chap moved the ladder 3 times per pane of glass. Once he reached the end, he had to leave the ladders aside and secure (H&S) and then double back blading/mopping the bottom halfs.
It just seemed unnecessary to use ladders in comparison to different options
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 07:52:12 am »
Glad i cam straight into wfp, what a ballache it must have been tradding all day long.

i notice you still have some trad gear in your van though! :)

i was trad for 17 years!its something you just get used to.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 09:37:41 am »
I still have all the tradgear in the van . It gets used 10 minutes a month . I just leave the gear inthe bucket with the water in . Don't usually change the water . The longest I've gone with the same water is about 6 months . Ha ha.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:23:31 am »
I still have all the tradgear in the van . It gets used 10 minutes a month . I just leave the gear inthe bucket with the water in . Don't usually change the water . The longest I've gone with the same water is about 6 months . Ha ha.

Woah! Doesn't it stink?  On the rare occasion I use my trad gear, I empty the water straight out, even wring out the mop, otherwise 48 hrs this time of year and it's rank.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

NBwcs

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 11:11:32 am »

[/quote]

Id go a step further than that and say trad is probably quicker on large  downstairs shopfronts especially if your tall enough not to need steps/pointer.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 11:33:03 am »
Yeh it does stink . But it covers up the smell of the rest of he van . Bits of food smelly trainers , sweaty t shirts . p bucket .

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 07:06:34 pm »
theres just some work thats unsuitable for WFP.I cleaned 2 nurseries today.one WFP and the other trad.the one i tradded was a ground floor building in the style of a wooden lodge with mock georgian wooden frames that are removable.it just wouldnt be practical to use WFP.

I also cleaned 2 childrens homes.one has a large main entrance thats undercover with a large glass window above the main doors so i used a small trad pole for that window.

robbo333

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 09:51:27 pm »
I like a bit of trad now and again: it's something different and uses a different set of muscles helping to reduce RSI.
Give me a sunny day, a nice quiet, peaceful bungalow where the owner is out and I'll be more than happy to trad it. OK so it takes a little longer but it's not always about the money.

Also I see loads of window cleaners doing all kinds of stuff (I was in Aldi the other day and what I saw was literally a comedy scene off the telly) it wasn't even bad, it was worse than that...it was wrong! Mrs Window Cleaner works in a very well known high street store and their NEW window cleaner uses Mr Muscle or similar to clean (smear) the windows. Fundamentally these stores are NOT having their windows cleaned.

But after all is said is done, do I care about what other people are doing. Not in the slightest, couldn't give a monkeys! I just focus on what I am doing and how I can do it better.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 08:11:26 am »
to me it is all about the money and time taken.dont kid yourself! ;D

id never dream of tradding a bungalow these days.the odd windows here and there.thats it. :)

Dry Clean

Re: why stick to old school methods?? New
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 08:31:45 am »
to me it is all about the money and time taken.dont kid yourself! ;D

id never dream of tradding a bungalow these days.the odd windows here and there.thats it. :)

Your still not as quick as Nathan so you would be better describing yourself as mostly about the money.