This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

L plate

MINERAL DEPOSIT HELP!!
« on: June 09, 2006, 09:05:07 pm »
Help please

Have any of you come across mineral deposits on windows
They look like dried spots of rain running down the window
You can feel it resisting the squeegee and scrim when cleaning

I tried MDR I appidid it with an applicator pad from halfords. Rubbed it in well with the pad. Washed it off with clean water and to my surprise and the customs it was still their. :-[ :-[ :-[

Have any of you had success with MDR or any other product.
Advice on how you used and applied the product would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again   L Plate 

reah

Re: MINERAL DEPOSIT HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 05:42:06 am »
Hey
Have you try using a 4inch scraper on wet glass.
Or you could try mdr with a white pad this sometimes works,they are abbrasive but not enough to scratch the glass.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 08:50:07 am »
You can improve it, but you'll never get rid of it completely, its a lot of effort for very little reward.

Using a razor scaper, either the 4" Unger one, or the smaller Stanley one for instance can help if the build up is really bad, but it will be almost etched into the glass, and you will not remove it all.

You can also use the finest grade of wire wool (ooo?) in conjunction with a product such as MDR, but you still have to soak and leave the glass, the acid has to be given time to work.

limescale deposite gets on many windows, its leached out of brickwork and mortar by rain.
Much easier to tell the customer there is nothing you can do about it, either that or tell them you'll have to quadruple the price you charge plus the cost of the chemicals needed, and it won't get rid of it completely even then.

Best of luck,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

L plate

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 10:18:06 am »
Thank for the replies I spent ages on it before the customer told me that none of the other window cleaners could shift it ether
 ??? ???
But it would be nice to fine a product that does what it says on the tin. ;D ;D

Thanks again.  :) :)

baldeagle

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 02:19:48 pm »
One of my customers has just had a leak from a cistern overflow for about 3 weeks.

It left lime stains on the kitchen window panes and I found a quick spray with a product called "Limelite" did the trick.

£2.69 at the Co-op.

I sprayed it at the top of the pane, then did the bathroom window.

When I'd finished the bathroom, the foam on the kitchen pane had reached the bottom.

Did the window as normal, all OK now!

Baldeagle
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 02:30:18 pm »
try crystal clear 550 it much stronger but make sure you have gloves on.

http://www.windowcleancentre.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?ProductID=186&SectionID=26
Belinda
the real boss.