Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sergio

Indian viscose handmade rug
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »
Which chemical is more suitable for wash an indian viscose handmade rug?

I have got these:
ChemSpec Oriental Rug Shampoo
One Step Fineline for wool Microsplitter
Prochem Prespray Gold

Thanks

Robin Ray

Re: Indian viscose handmade rug
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:05:39 pm »
I have hand cleaned these with Prochem shampoo and terry towels. To be perfectly honest though I hated every second of it and I would never do it again. Unless you are getting a lot out of it, its a big headache.

Viscose is not a suitable fiber for anything...........except maybe toilet paper...

Sergio

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:39:19 pm »
I have hand cleaned these with Prochem shampoo and terry towels. To be perfectly honest though I hated every second of it and I would never do it again. Unless you are getting a lot out of it, its a big headache.

Viscose is not a suitable fiber for anything...........except maybe toilet paper...
you advise to clean with chemspec shampoo? How  did you rinse the rug?

Mike Gwilliam

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:42:41 pm »
I wouldn't get involved especially if you've had no experience. Viscose can easily be damaged by wet cleaning. It's made from wood pulp or cellulose and the pile will certainly alter in appearance when cleaned possibly resulting in one very unhappy customer.

Personally I wouldn't touch one anymore. Last year a customer insisted that I try and remove a stain from one despite me saying it's at her risk. The stain didn't come out and the cleaned patch stood out because of the difference in shading or distorted (damaged) pile.

Robin Ray

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 08:33:39 pm »
Hi Sergio,

I would advise getting on some courses so you can learn how chemicals work and the techniques you can use with them.

Shampoo can be whipped in to a foam then you can use the foam to clean delicate items. It is not designed to be rinsed out, it encapsulates the soils then dries to a crystal / powder which is then vacuumed away at a later time. If you do not know about how to do this method and have never tried it a viscose rug is not a good place to experiment.

As Mike says Viscose is made from wood pulp therefore the item being cleaned will have an altered texture 90% of the time if any moisture is added. It is also prone to cellulose browning  so neutral or acidic solutions need to be used. It is also a very week fabric so it is easy to damage the item. The customer needs to be aware of all of these risks before any work is undertaken otherwise these problems become yours.

Surprisingly even though viscose is such a stupid cheap material it is quite often used in the most expensive items so unless you are extremely careful and know exactly what you are doing it could be easy to make expensive mistakes.

Sergio

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 11:19:34 am »

It's the rug

Robin Ray

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:54:48 pm »
Along with all the problems which have already been mentioned you could also get color bleed from the black in to the pink and white.

john martin

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:25:30 pm »
I say do it ,   like what other options does the customer have ,  its clean it or replace it . Let them know its not really suitable for cleaning but it should be an improvment  .  Manage their expectations . Im pretty sure they say just clean it .    bear in mind all the advice given above , do a small piece to check for dye running etc .  I would put some of your prespray gold mix in a spray can and brush it in gently with a soft nylon brush by hand , then extract it with a handtool , or upholstery tool if u have one or the wand if u want . Spend a bit of time cleaning the tassles and they should look brighter , Rub some oxidizer into them if you have time .
The rug might look a bit odd when its wet but it should look ok when its fully dry , about a week indoors  :D  or not so long outside in the Italian summer .   Charge a bit more because it so exotic and had to hand cleaned  :)

Sergio

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:26:13 am »
I say do it ,   like what other options does the customer have ,  its clean it or replace it . Let them know its not really suitable for cleaning but it should be an improvment  .  Manage their expectations . Im pretty sure they say just clean it .    bear in mind all the advice given above , do a small piece to check for dye running etc .  I would put some of your prespray gold mix in a spray can and brush it in gently with a soft nylon brush by hand , then extract it with a handtool , or upholstery tool if u have one or the wand if u want . Spend a bit of time cleaning the tassles and they should look brighter , Rub some oxidizer into them if you have time .
The rug might look a bit odd when its wet but it should look ok when its fully dry , about a week indoors  :D  or not so long outside in the Italian summer .   Charge a bit more because it so exotic and had to hand cleaned  :)
:):):):):)

Robin Ray

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 05:51:09 pm »
Haa if you ask enough people you get the answer you want.

I hope it goes well Sergio