This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

leegooner

drought met police
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:45:33 pm »
got a call today apparantely the met police for bexley and greenwich

are suspending all window cleaning on there sites because of the

water shortage (politically correct poop me thinks)

will try to get some more info tomorrow. :)

Re: drought met police
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:03:43 pm »
???? even with all the water drought orders coming into force it is not going to effect window cleaning at all so i dont understand why they have done this?

last year h&s bought in the regulations for working at height so most wc invested in wfp.

So now wc with wfp are not classed as using water for non essential use.As long as you are not hooked straight to a water main window cleaning is beaing allowed to continue.

http://www.nfmwgc.com/documents/good_news_email.pdf

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 12:59:14 am »

water shortage (politically correct nuts me thinks)

WFP is still allowed in areas under a drought order.  The areas you mention should be under Thames Water i think.  Thames is not under a drought order but just under a hosepipe ban (when attached directly to mains)..

neil100

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 07:16:21 pm »
Thames water have now applied for a drought order.

nel

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 07:45:46 pm »
Thames water have now applied for a drought order.

nel

Ho hum.  Another load of arses to kick.  So where are we going to have some fun this time? Wonder how far I'll have to travel for THIS hearing.This lot have got among the leakiest pipes in the country so I'm wondering if, to make it sound less, they will quote their leaks as (a) millions of litres per day (unlikely) (b) number of cubic metres per day (c) litres per household per day or (d) not mention it at all and hope we don't notice.
As a strategic solution, ther government needs to ensure that water can be drawn from somewhere in the southeast or there is going to be mega trouble.  If I'm stopped from trading eventually, I'm up for civil disobedience as a first resort.  It can start by making sure their phonelines are totally blocked by being inundated with calls.  I honestly feel that picketing the water companies' head offices is a reasonable option here.
They couldn't run a bunk up in a brothel.

macc

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:52:40 pm »
We need to take a leaf from the FRENCH, be more militant. Let them know we are not going to take this crap.

Macc

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:57:23 pm »

water shortage (politically correct nuts me thinks)

Have we got an update on this yet.

Dave

Londoner

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 09:40:53 am »
I heard there is some difference between cleaning domestic windows and commercial windows in a drought order.

Anybody know what?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 09:55:04 am »
I heard there is some difference between cleaning domestic windows and commercial windows in a drought order.

Anybody know what?

It's worded as the banning of cleaning windows by hospipe, sprinkler or similar apparatus.  However, the drought orders granted so far have allowed this as long as the equipment is not directly attached to the mains.  This is a way of stopping householders washing their windows rather without hitting WFP.  The drought order has been divided into three phases (so far).  Only if the third phase is implemented would WFP be affected as it would ban window cleaning as worded above with no distinction as to whether the equipment was attached to the mains or not.  They have said that phase three would only be implemented shortly before, or at the same time as standpipes.  However, there is nothing to stop them going to phases two and three in the next week if they want to.  That's when it could start getting dirty I think and when many of us will face a choice of being nicked by Health and Safety, being nicked for breaching a drought order, or just facing financial ruin.  I would probably get the ladders out again and just leave certain windows that would feel unsafe to clean.  I would also be as obstructive as possible to the water companies and would happily do my share in keeping their phonelines blocked.

leegooner

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 03:11:07 pm »
got call this morning met police sites in bexley & greenwich

are having inside & ground floor in and out cleaned

carlisle group have the contract.

lewisham,sutton & bromley met police sites

the same thing apollo cleaning have the contract :)