This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Another one bites the dust (again)
« on: June 08, 2006, 05:53:43 pm »
I've not had anyone moan about WFP for quite a while now.  However, today a customer started telling me that the way I work couldn't possibly leave a good finish, the window cleaner who goes next door uses ladders, and how someone he knows told him that the WAHD allows you to work on a ladder for up to 30 minutes.  I did ask him if there was a problem with the finish after it dried and he just re-stated that my work method "couldn't possibly" leave a good finish.  He eventually admitted that he hadn't checked it though. This is a guy who once moaned about the price - on a job that I regard as grossly underpriced.  It was already on my list of "dumpables if I get any aggro". I thought of all the things I could tell him regarding pure water (told him before anyway), the WAHD, and the legalities of ladder usage when I just thought "I can't be arsed with this."  I thanked him for his custom and wished him well with his next window cleaner.

garry

Re: Another one bites the dust (again)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:56:15 pm »
 you have done the right thing if he phones you dont go back. ;)

JohnL

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 06:02:27 pm »
yep, just to be topical - show him the red card  :)

good move

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 06:15:50 pm »
I did mumble something about "I haven't invested 15 grand in my business to go up ladders" and told him that there were hefty fines for inappropriate ladder usage (not trying to start an online war so I leave you all to your own interpretation of "inappropriate").
Part of the problem now is that someone who hasn't yet invested in WFP is probably under a temporary exemption until April 2007 (new startups excluded), whereas someone who has the equipment (like myself) cannot claim this.  The ironic thing is that we are only talking about 5 windows (4 climbs) on this particular job as the two rear ones are above a flat roof which I climb onto by ladder.  The ground floors I am mostly doing by hand anyway as I live and work in a drought hit area.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 06:31:18 pm »
Like you said, he was on your list of dumpable customers  >:( well now I guess he is off that list and now onto the dumped customer list.

Sounded like he had already made his mind up whatever you had said, I would have asked him to pay in a couple of days and in the mean time take a look at the finish and judge for himself.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, don't lose sleep over it.

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

neil100

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 07:41:07 pm »
I got home today and had three letters, They contained three cancellations.

1. I have only cleaned these windows twice, It was in a new area, the lady phoned me up begging me to clean them, they had not been done for years. Wfp the front and I do trad round the back because of access issues. I was hopeing to get either side of this terrace house.

Guess what " I'll clean your windows for peanuts brigade have been round", so she thanked for the last 2 cleans but wont be wanting my services anymore.

£16.00 down the swany.

2. I've been expecting to lose this customer, I only do the windows every 2 months and its only £10.00. But when shes in she has just been asking for the front cleaned only and trying to get me to come every 4 months. I have refused to do them every 4 months, Her letter said due to the riseing costs ( yes it costs more for the whole house rather then the front) they dont want them to be cleaned regularly. But she will keep my card and give me a ring when she wants them cleaned. I am looking forward to that conversation.(IN THE BIN COLUMN)

3. This lady has been a good customer, It was a topper, 6 windows for £5.00. I only did this one on the street. But she must of not liked wfp dripping cos she asked me to clean the bottoms instead. Done bottoms twice and now I think shs as got someone cheaper. Alls fair in love and war I suppose.

£31.00 lost. I hate loseing customers.

Never mind I did 2 new customers today, both £20.00 each, Both are better earnings to time ratio.

I am seeing the director of a cleaning company tommorw who my sister works for in management. He aims to go national with his company and he is expanding rapidly in all the big citys in the north of England. HE has teams of salesman getting contracts, But I know he wants a quality reliable w/cleaner for some big contracts. Lets see what happens.

Nel.

andypandy

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 07:53:00 pm »
wfp what dont waste your times and others

JM123

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 09:25:55 pm »
its all about persecution...no, I mean perseverance (pronounced per-ser-ver-ants) i lost nearly £70 worth in 3 days because of the beer brigade and other wcs telling porkies like "those brushes scratch the glass", "that water will kill my plants" and my personal favourite "it'll wear the glass thin".  Still, bright side is I picked up a few more nearing £70 but no more *rap* from customers.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

twt

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 09:37:30 pm »
i never worry about losing customers because i probably turn down 5 or six potential customers each week. plus new customers are always priced better than your old ones so its a win win situation.

abacus

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 10:50:48 pm »
Hi
I hate to lose customers not that a few make a differance here or there but it just hurts I think its a why wasn't I good enough kind of thing But I get really mad loseing customers to the benifit boys and those with stories of how bad the wfp are when they havent even lifted a pole let alone know anything about them or even H&S. In my area they put it around that the wfp only cost a couple hundred and that they didnt work and their was no regulations to stop ladders at all. This mind while they they used step ladders and milk creates and dryed scrim by trapping them in the re car windows while driving along the could bearley see out the windows.
I never knock others there's plenty of work out there but what goes around comes around while thier picking up your work by dropping a couple of quid your picking up others at better prices that how seems to go
I lost one this week she already left once befoe only took her back because I do her mother in law but even she cant stand her Im sure there will be a sutable rise in price when she asks again..say double

who'd be a wc?

regards grant

ps useing those initials no wonder people s*** on us
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 11:24:37 pm »
Don't blame the Water Fed Pole for loosing customers.
All businesses loose and gain customers.  We always have.  It's just as we change over to a new strange system the moaners have been handed an excuse to dump us.  But.......add it up and we always gain more than we loose!

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

mark dew

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 11:53:15 pm »
Don't blame the Water Fed Pole for loosing customers.
All businesses loose and gain customers.  We always have.  It's just as we change over to a new strange system the moaners have been handed an excuse to dump us.  But.......add it up and we always gain more than we loose!

David

David, how are you getting on with wfp. I started the same day as you.
Going well? Happy customers?

mark

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 12:31:33 am »
wfp what dont waste your times and others

I'm not sure I understand your meaning Andy.
Could you please rephrase it so that it makes more sense?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 12:32:44 am »
i never worry about losing customers because i probably turn down 5 or six potential customers each week. plus new customers are always priced better than your old ones so its a win win situation.

Totally agree with you Philip.  i turn work away too - usually because of access issues.