Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

CleanGuru

Sticky pub floor
« on: June 01, 2017, 06:01:56 pm »
We've been dealing with a new pub cleaning contract for the past few months. We have hundreds of contracts throughout the country and have never had the issues with a floor that we've experienced in this one pub. So it's a solid wood parquet floor, very used (about 400-500 punters each night) and could definitely do with being sanded back and resealed (which the owner is going to be doing soon). In the meantime, we've tried every technique, chemical, floor scrubber/dryer and even no chemical at all to get rid of the floor's stickiness. When I say sticky, i mean 'shoe comes off' sticky. Once it's mopped or you have used a scrubber/drier, about half and hour later - as sticky as it started. It's like its coming out of the wood. Worst part is though, it gets dragged through the rest of the place at doesn't have wood flooring.

Really would appreciate any help or similar experiences!
Cheers

alan lewis

Re: Sticky pub floor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:32:35 am »
Have a look at this, I think the sanding will need to be done sooner than planned !

https://www.woodandbeyond.com/blog/fixing-a-sticky-wood-floor/

Alan

Simon Perry

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:00:46 am »
Have you tried applying an emulsion floor polish.? Providing it bonds to the surface, it may hold the stickiness at bay for a while.
Regards
Simon

Barry W

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 05:11:58 pm »
Sounds like years and years of people putting polish on top of crap probably vinyl polish as well. It needs stripping back asap. The floor will be a different colour underneath I bet.
 Have you tried a polish stripper on a patch ?

CleanGuru

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 01:31:50 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts guys. We'll try a bit of patch testing as suggested. However, it's good to know that our instincts about getting the floor properly stripped down and re-sealed were right 👍.