Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RPCCS

looking for advice
« on: May 15, 2017, 05:25:53 pm »
Hi, Im wanting to branch out in to carpet and upholstery cleaning, been on the windows for 28 years now, and want to branch out to this for the winter season.
How much should I look to pay for a decent machine, used would be better until I get enough work?
How much should I be charging? is it per item, or per hour or  area?
 Already have a good database of customers, as Im keeping the window cleaning round on.
Cheers Rich

edward coller

Re: looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 05:48:38 pm »
Your existing customer data base will be invaluable and a great way to start.  Ive just bought a new machine as backup from Airflex and anm mighty impressed almost as good as my Truckmount, at least for smaller jobs. get some training asap to avoid  worst slip ups Alltec do some great courses, prices are so variable, my advice is to go as high as you can, dont undersell yourself just cuz your new at this game. Foe example, I charge between 160 to 190 for 3pce suite, and  85/95 for a through lounge, 85 for hall stairs landing, and perhaps show discount for larger jobs. There will be lots more advice re price icoming up! Simon

RPCCS

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:05:40 pm »
Thanks for that, I had no idea what sort of price to charge, yes I will be doing a course, I had already thought about that, and looked it up. Cant remember the name, but the cost was £150+vat for the carpet and upholstery training.
I have been given the chance of work already from one of my commercial jobs, they said they would give me the job of doing the dining room chairs, obviously just the cushion part,
 How much each should these be? also how much should I look to spend on a machine? Dont want a van mount, as reach and wash system in the van
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 10:28:17 pm »
Anyone else advise please?
Cheers Rich

tim handley

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:12:26 pm »
when i started i spent hours and hours reading up on various sites/forums, use search facility and it all there. But its no  substitute for courses prior to starting, you can get courses all over depending on where you are based solutions in cornwall, cleansmart in Nottingham, Alltec as mentioned above, restormate up in Northumberland, Cleanspec up in cumbria all good..........
just read as much as poss, ask questions and get booked up on a few courses, more the better..........
with your your existing client list you should hit the ground running.............

RPCCS

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:20:40 pm »
What sort of price should I  expect to pay for a machine?
Cheers Rich

Wayne Bott

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »
Hey,

Recently bought a machine for £200+ you can try these guys our if you looking for a decent machine

Try Click Cleaning
If you’re in need of small or large-scale domestic or commercial carpet cleaning services get in touch with us.

http://spotless-carpets.com

edward coller

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 06:25:40 pm »
The small but well formed Airflex machine I bought was 1700, inc vat. Great extraction and variable pump and built in heater that I like. Im not mechanically minded in the slightest, so I buy new so I dont have to worry about it stoping. Just sold a good  oldern machine with a few small problems, to some starter ups who are good with the tools for 150 squid which will do a good job. Simon

Gabrielius

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 10:02:52 am »
Around £1k for used machine, try buy new if you can as when buying 2nd hand it might need a lot of repairs and if you haven't got a spare machine you will find it very frustrating if it breaks down whilst doing a job.

john aitken

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 02:21:35 pm »
Anyone else advise please?
[/quote ] before you start quoting  180 for a suite.   I suggest you ring a couple of cleaners in your area and find out what  there price is

Robin Ray

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 08:32:52 pm »
I came from Window cleaning to carpet cleaning. You will find that with the exception to the run up to Christmas the winter months will be a lean time for carpets. You will also find you have to work a lot harder for new carpet cleaning customers than for windows.  As has been said before your existing customer base is going to be your main advantage. Its a great add on  however, if it is purely an economical move there are a lot more  economically successful ways of expanding on a window cleaning round.