This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jinky230

can backpacks go the distance
« on: June 07, 2006, 03:38:08 pm »
guys was talking to a friend who knows abit about hoses etc

It seems the bigger the bore of the hose the more water you get and the smaller the bore the more pressure you get

know was wondering if you fit 6mm microbore to your pole and connect to the backpack would you get more pressure at the brush for rinsing and use less water, bright sparks needed for this one

jinky

Jeff Brimble

Re: can backpacks go the distance
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:26:59 pm »
Maybe its like comparing a pressure sprayer with a fire hose. The sprayer cleans with pressure the fire hose with volume. I think that you need just enough water to clean the windows, not too much, not to little.
You dont "need" pressure to move the dirt because the brush agitates it and the water flushes it away. Ergo a low pressure sytem with enough flow will clean just as well as a high pressure system.
The backpacks are designed to take pressure by using the "jets" but you could simply reduce or remove these to get the same ammount of water up the hose. Ideally you should start at the brush head and design your sytem back to the pump rather than the other way round.
You mention 6mm is that 6ID or 6OD. I have happily used 4mmID for the last 8 years with 4mmID and low pressure "jets"m and a 35psi pump (as I dont need the water to squirt  3ft out) The water slows down in the tube due to fluid hydraulic friction not just  lack of pressure. So if you maintain the same pressure you get slower output the further away the outlet. You just need flow so a low pressure hose will also do.

abacus

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:46:26 pm »
Hi jinky
according to williamson pumps (the guv) if you use micro you can put a lot of strain on the pump not for short lengths that you might use on a backpacks but if you use 50mts or100mts this is because of the friction! not something I would of associated with water they have done tests apparently
as you can put more on a reel most people do this means that more is left on the reel and is not fully unwound and this creates more strain

your pump can only achieve the pressure it is set at, it will then cut out, If you restrict it you should in theory get less water same pressure unless you are using a large jet where the water is escaping faster than the pump can reach pressure in which case use the smaller jets 2mm as appossed to 3mm or 4mm in any case the hose on your pole must 4or 6mm so it is already restricted to that size

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 07:59:18 pm »
You can reduce pump pressure by fitting a simple small by pass whatever pump/regulator you have which takes the strain off the pump.

jinky230

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:49:43 pm »
guys we have a trolley we made with the 100psi and the varistream, and I really like the flow out of this system, I just feel the flow from the backpack could be better, notice peter fogwill on the other forum thinks the same

like the idea of the smaller jet, to help with the water usage,but would like to see more water for rinsing

Jeff I have normal hose on my trolley and would like to switch to a lower diameter to get more hose on a reel, could you recommend any

jinky

master cleaner

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 09:00:41 pm »
hi jinky i use microbore like a lot of people on this forum , i have got it on both trolleys and it is a dream to work with compared to normal hose,i got 2, 30mtr reels from gardiners for about £60

gary

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:28:39 pm »
Jinky, Hoselock have a cheaper smaller diam yellow hose on their "hosebox"that is up to tap pressure. Cannot reccomend others because after using and seen  few I now only use 4mmOD "Raindrip"USA  thinwall low pressure lightweight pvc. Its for plant irrigation so withstands ultra violet light and is soft and flexible. From http://normangardenproducts.co.uk 100ft black £10.50, which none of the suppliers seem to use ?
Personally I do not think having reinforced hose is needed with 2L or less for a bpac or trolley, and it also takes up weight.

jinky230

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 09:38:28 pm »
guys thanks for getting back to me, the problem I an having is standard hose just takes ages to reel in.I think you are right jeff you do not need pressured hose for 100psi pump.Would like to get something that I can gather quickly when I am around the back of houses, gather it up quick and reel it when I pop around the front

gary had a look at gardiners and thanks for the info but jeffs idea looks tempting, I am not too bothered about cost but more interested in getting the right solution for the job

jinky

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:45:43 pm »
If you want distance you may have to start with a larger dia. on a reel  then reduce to a smaller. Raindrip also do 50ft for going up the [pole.

jinky230

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 10:04:49 pm »
Jeff I have 25 metres on the trolley at the  moment and it comes up really short sometimes, would like to put on at least 50 metres, would I be better with microbore as gary said for this length of hose

jinky

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 10:33:35 pm »
If 25m is slow then doubling to 50m wont do. So you need larger near the pump then reduce to smaller. Its the same with irrigation or mains water sytems or micro central heating. 4mmID  is maxed at 75ft with 35psi  but your 100psi will produce a better flow but at distance you may need to go larger then smaller. So a reel of say 10ID then a reel  6ID then  4mmID etc

jinky230

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 10:53:37 pm »
jeff I get could flow rate with the 25 metres of hoselock hose it is the length that is giving me problems with large gardens and large conservatories, you mention different size could you explain in a laymans term, as I dont understand

thankyou

jinky

abacus

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 11:24:11 pm »
jinky on the backpack don't you have four settings I wash on no 2 and rinse on no 3 the flowon no 3 is really good not that that will solve the problem of your trolly but maybe you wont need the trlly if your backpack worked ok for you

regards grant

ps saw some water bowsers going cheep if anyone wants  to make a trailer system
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

jinky230

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 11:30:17 pm »
grant I go max all the time on the back pack would rsther give them a good rinse than go back to probs running on the lower settings - 3 is good as well

just pull a trolley with a 25lt container, and fill up when needed I only half full the backpack - getting old now too heavy fully loaded

the backpack is not a problem it is the hoses on the trolley its a nuisance constantly winding them up but the flow of water from the 100psi pump is worth it, you feel you are washing windows instead of tickling them

jinky

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 07:22:17 am »
If you mix two sizes of hose on the same reel, the smaller hose slips between the larger bore as the hose expand and contract and can "lock" within the reel, needing a long sustained powerful pull to release. I suggest using an "open" reel so you can see whats going on or 2/3 seperate reels. But I do really like the "hosebox"

jinky230

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 09:01:53 am »
jeff is the hose box the retractable one with 20 metres

jinky

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 01:31:47 pm »
Yes,well its a hand wind up one,  its lightweight without the yellow hose supplied and will hold quite a lot of microbore. You have to order it specially. Not to be confused with a larger version 30m that has an automatic guide sytem and is bigger with a small lifting handle on the top.

jinky230

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 05:00:18 pm »
jeff the rapid reel came in from northern tools it looks really well built

the coach builder is building an attachment to my trolley so will probably use that al I need is a reducer from 12mm to what ever I dont know to go with microbore or the braided hose I like the flex of the braided hose

any advice would be highly greatful before I spend money foolishly

jinky