Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dry Clean

Re: No bulkhead in a van? would you still fit a water tank?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 08:30:49 am »
personally  I wouldn't feel that confident that a bulkhead  alone would  stop a tank weighing half a ton,from crushing you to death.
My tank is bolted to chassis,so hopefully I will be ok in an accident.
Pure freedom only bolt their frames through the floor not your actuall chassis

I think the majority of vans are now unibody which means the whole body acts as the chassis, so as long as they have plates under the floor stopping the frame bolts being ripped through it in an accident then it will be the same as being bolted to a chassis.

p1w1

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 08:41:36 am »
personally  I wouldn't feel that confident that a bulkhead  alone would  stop a tank weighing half a ton,from crushing you to death.
Pure freedom only bolt their frames through the floor not your actual chassis

I think the majority of vans are now unibody which means the whole body acts as the chassis, so as long as they have plates under the floor stopping the frame bolts being ripped through it in an accident then it will be the same as being bolted to a chassis.

colin bird

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 08:12:52 pm »
Pure freedom only bolt their frames through the floor not your actuall chassis
d disagree mate I have large metal plates that are around the chassis,,that is attached to my tank frame ?  And that's how it's been for the last three van mounted systems I've had ?
Also bolting through the chassis in my opinion would weaken it as you would have to drill big holes,but I'm only a window cleaner and not an engineer

Marc Stock

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 01:35:17 pm »
As long as you don't exceed the payload limit you should be ok on the existing lashing eyes.

Mine is strapped down using all 6 of the lashing eyes.

500kg /6= 83.6 kg

robert mitchell

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 02:41:15 pm »
As long as you don't exceed the payload limit you should be ok on the existing lashing eyes.

500kg /6= 83.6 kg

It doesn't still weigh 500kg when you stop suddenly from 30/40/50 mph and the load wont be spread equally between the six lashing points so thats a very flawed calculation.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Dry Clean

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 02:42:24 pm »

500kg /6= 83.6 kg

Doesn't work that way Marc, in a collision the lashing eyes to the front of the tank wont be taking any of the force
also if the tank isn't in a metal frame then it will buckle change shape meaning one strap could end up taking the full
force and snap overloading the other two.

With a bolted down tank in a frame the three bolts to the back will take the majority of the force but the three to the front
will still take a certain amount depending on the size of the plate under the floor, if one bolt snaps you will still have the opposite
bolt holding on unlike a strap where you lose the two.

Strapping a tank in is a quick and cheaper way to do the job and will allow a certain amount of protection but its definitely a
compromise on safety.

Marc Stock

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 09:52:57 am »
Oh I see.

So why is it more expensive to insure a van that has been modified to accept a tank, than to use the lashing eyes if using the lashing eyes is not as safe?

fortunately most of my driving is stop start driving and i rarely exceed 40mph

robert mitchell

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:37 am »
Oh I see.

So why is it more expensive to insure a van that has been modified to accept a tank, than to use the lashing eyes if using the lashing eyes is not as safe?

Becaue of ignorance in the insurance industry .......it is starting to change though with some insurers only wanting to insure professionally fitted tanks , a good thing in my opinion .

coming to a dead stop by hitting a tree for instance at 40mph , that tank in your van will not stay put.

www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 11:10:15 am »
Oh I see.

If a tank's bolted in the energy in a crash will be absorbed by the structure of the van.  So even a lowish speed collision is likely to end up as a write-off as the van structure will be irreparable.  A low speed crash with a tank merely tethered will be much less likely structurally to damage the van, so no need for a payout.

Vin

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 05:38:28 pm »

500kg /6= 83.6 kg

Doesn't work that way Marc, in a collision the lashing eyes to the front of the tank wont be taking any of the force
also if the tank isn't in a metal frame then it will buckle change shape meaning one strap could end up taking the full
force and snap overloading the other two.

With a bolted down tank in a frame the three bolts to the back will take the majority of the force but the three to the front
will still take a certain amount depending on the size of the plate under the floor, if one bolt snaps you will still have the opposite
bolt holding on unlike a strap where you lose the two.

Strapping a tank in is a quick and cheaper way to do the job and will allow a certain amount of protection but its definitely a
compromise on safety.
compromise of safety ??? ill ask you like I asked gripper tank have you any stand up datea to prove this ? as if so by law its your duty of care to let the right people know i.e. ford.vw,fiat, let alone eddie Stobart, d.p.d ect ect  if your with holding real prof then your liable for any people getting hurt

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 05:42:41 pm »
Oh I see.

If a tank's bolted in the energy in a crash will be absorbed by the structure of the van.  So even a lowish speed collision is likely to end up as a write-off as the van structure will be irreparable.  A low speed crash with a tank merely tethered will be much less likely structurally to damage the van, so no need for a payout.

Vin
also if your bolting it to the  chaisses this also could void all warranty claims on the full drive train  (new vans) unless signed off buy structural enginer  this is what I was told by v.w. uk in Milton k. when I rang them about our t5 with our truckmounted carpet cleaner in the back 

Marc Stock

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 05:46:50 pm »
Wow it's a difficult one isn't it. So much conflicting information