This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Rochester

The B*****d of all jobs
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:35:49 pm »
We have just won a new 5 year contract for commercial window cleaning at a very large premises.  The work is split down into monthly and 3 monthly cleans in various areas.

Most of the jobs are straight forward, except one, which we did (or tried to do) yesterday and which I could do with some advise on.

This particular job involves climbing out onto a gantry crane in a large warehouse sized building, the crane is 4 storeys up and there are some large windows 12' x 12' that overlook the warehouse area at one end of the building.

The crane is positioned next to the windows, but due to the end stops, it is still some 15' away from the windows (I was told it went right up to the window) and sits right in the middle of the windows height wise, so you have to use long Unger poles to clean the windows.

The problem I had yesterday was not getting the applicator onto the windows to wet them, but getting the blade onto the windows and moving in a smooth motion to clean the windows without leaving massive streaks.   

The main reason I had problems was because some of the pane was below me, some was level with me and some was above.

Plus I was dressed in full harness, Hiviz vest, helmet, safety glasses, ear plugs and boab belt.

I remember seeing a blade on some site a while ago that was angled in a different way to the standard handle, but I cannot find the site now, I seem to remember that they were cleaning domed glass from a barge or similar.

If there is anyone who has done or does something similar to this and can help, it would be GREATLY appreciated.  I must have lost about a stone in sweat yesterday doing this one job.

Justin Ruggles

Re: The B*****d of all jobs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 09:46:58 pm »
Zero degree Squeegee handle you need. www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk stock them. You can squeegee with them like you have explained without leavng any squeegee marks.

Justin

Ps its the Unger Straight Squeegee handle.

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:01:28 pm »
LIONHEART , THE MAN YOU WANT IS JOUK 45 , I RECALL HIM PUTTING A POST ON ABOUT AN AMERICAN COMPANY THAT HAD SOME SORT OF GOOSENECK THAT WENT ON THE POLE THAT WAS VERY VERSATILE , POST UP FOR HIM , HE PROBABLY STILL HAS THE VIDEO .

Rich P @ F 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

JohnL

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 10:11:57 pm »
are you sure it wasnt the Procurve pole

if it is :-

it requires two heads, a squeegee and a blade and both work by a push fit and sit on a curved head. the trick is once the head is on the end of the pole it revolves and once you get used to it, it is very versatile

check out he procurve site and see the video

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

jouk45

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:50:10 pm »

Ian Rochester

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 12:27:48 pm »
That's what I need!!!

Just emailed them to find out if there are any UK distributors.

Cheers to all

Ian

Ian Rochester

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 05:27:47 pm »
Cheers Rob/John/Jouk,

Just spoke to Ann at the window clean centre, ordered the 1.8 - 5.4 pole, with squeegee handle and 18" channel, applicator handle and 18" tube, only £78,  it's all on it's way for me to play with, should have it by Thurs/Fri.

Thanks to all for your help.

JohnL

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 06:01:19 pm »
you wont regret it, and once you get used to it I think it has a big roll to play for certain jobs, especially the one you highlighted  :)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

jouk45

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 07:51:20 pm »
did you know can get them with spray jets to

Ian Rochester

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 09:07:58 pm »
I did see the "Hydrasoar" on their website, but it looks just like a simple water pole that you can buy from the local market.

Is there a system that goes on the Procurve as well?

jouk45

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 10:09:26 pm »
lionheart, you just convert your own pole to water fed,   just feed the tubing up the pole

Ian Rochester

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 07:53:35 pm »
It's arrived!!

Just had a little go with it.......wierd!!

Some practicing is necessary

JohnL

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 08:45:34 pm »
you will soon get used to it - and when you do you will see the benefits

JohnL