Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

p1w1

Power up hd reel.. my honest review after 1 day
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:21:29 pm »
So first day using this reel upgrading from a hanney reel.
After having to send the one from wcw back because of a fault (handled excellently by wcw by the way regarding the return) i ordered from waterworks which was about an extra £20.

First impression.. they are quit big but very solidly built and fairly heavy also narrower then normal reels which isn't a problem and in some ways better as its a smaller footprint.

I found the fittings that come with it dont seem to fit the hose brilliantly and you really need to tighten the jubilee clips up as tight as they can go (this is what i found) but i'm going to to change them anyway,  the inlet thread size is 1/4 inch  so going to replace the outside with a pro 26 fitting and get  bigger barb for the inside of the reel.

The reel didn't come with any jubilee fittings so you will need to source them separately. It also comes with a handle should the motor fail and a t bar (think this may be to stop the reel turning if needed while in transit, although i havent used it and didnt have any issues).
Very simple to connect up to the battery and there is enough cable length to the controller etc giving you enough options on were to put it in the van.

Actual use i found is brilliant when pulling the hose out there is not a lot of restriction and hose comes of easy enough and i found it doesn't keep on spinning when you have pulled the amount of hose you need off therefore the hose doesn't get loose on the reel.

Winding in is really easy just push the button (have to keep it pressed) and it fly's in it did about 100m of hose in 30-40 seconds and its simple to guide it back on the reel while its reeling in.
Overall  I'm very happy with it..does it let me do 2-3 extra houses a day? No. Does it make my day even quicker? No. I never brought it for those reasons.

It simply makes my working day easier and its more a luxury then a necessity, but i think i can honestly say you do notice the difference between manually winding in the hose and using this reel at the end of the day in terms of spent energy (i'm 45 and still pretty fit).
If i would improve anything so far it would be the option to be able to slow the reel down when its nearly wound in as its just 1 speed but after using it on a few houses you get the feel for when to let go of the button (so just a minor thing).

Overall i would recommend this reel,  i think for what it is its reasonably priced time will tell regarding the the motor but there not that expensive to replace anyway. If your happy to pay near on £500 for a 25ft extreme and understand the value in that then i think you will find the same for this reel ( it does make your day easier).

Although you can get the cheaper version petal reel (i personally have never liked the petal style reel) i would recommend paying the extra and going for the hd version.
I didn't get the remote version personally i didn't need it, and i wouldn't want to start winding in when im not able to see if there a people walking past on the pavement while doing so and also i think it is best to feed the hose onto  to the reel while it is winding in.
Also 100m of microbore easily fits on to it.

Just my 2 pence worth on the reel for anyone thinking of making the move  :)

matthewprice

Re: Power up hd reel.. my honest review after 1 day
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:11 pm »
I used the HD today for first time .What  a joy to use . Certainly made my day easier .Took a bit of  playing with the calabration as I had switched to microbore.small leak on outside hose connection ,fixed by tightening JC ,will probably will change for a double ear ring to make really secure .By far the best reel I have ever used .Would definitely buy this again .

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 08:08:25 pm »
Thanks for the review and comments!

Just a quick Q.

Before you had the leccy reel was your hand reel fixed in the van or did you generally lift it in and out?
It's a game of three halves!

p1w1

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:26:30 pm »

Just a quick Q.

Before you had the leccy reel was your hand reel fixed in the van or did you generally lift it in and out?
Fixed in the van but at waist height on top of a converted swivel chair base so i can point the reel in any direction. I've done the electric reel the same way.

tlwcs

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:43 pm »
I love mine. Just upgraded from the petal add on to the HD. Superb.

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:56:53 pm »
Leccy reels are so much easier than manual. Even better mine only cost 50 quid, dont think i could stomach 400 plus for one though.

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 09:21:27 pm »
I have the new (ish) reel from purefreedom when i switched 2yr back. Pending where im working i either pick up reel, close van doors n connect to a port at back of van or else i just leave van doors open. Just having van doors open is better as obviously not lugging reel around, but its so much easier winding it in at this level. Im only 39 n still fit, but after many yrs of hard work trad cleaning im enjoying the easier n more profitable ways of working. So liking these reviews on power reels.
Do you know if you can get a kit to motorise the pure freedom reels?? Also any links would be beneficial, cherrs in advance chaps
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jays Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:40:14 pm »
If it's the blue petal reel from pure freedom you can use this is think https://www.waterworkswindowcleaning.co.uk/power-up-add-on-gen-2.html

nathankaye

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 12:14:06 am »
I have this one, so im guessing i need to change reel if im gonna diy it
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

matthewprice

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:45:14 am »
My old reel was fixed to floor .

Jays Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 08:25:58 am »
Nathankaye
You can use the petals reels with the waterworks addon kit i checked with jordan king from water workd its in the link I put up . Or you can DIY it completely but I felt I'd rather pay the price then mess about  trying to diy it . To busy don't have the time .. for the likes of me I can't find the thread for the diy eletric hose reels members where making on here .

Jays Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 08:39:41 am »
Look up the tread on how to diy your own one . If you feel you have the time . If I do mange to find it i will send you it .

duncan h

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »
I have the HD mk1.
Life saver for me. Wouldn't be without one.
Only comment I found different and what does my head in is, when reeling out its got no resistance and keeps on reeling out. Causes problems at times. Still love it

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:06 pm »
Cheers Jay, i try n look uo link later.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jays Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 07:47:58 pm »
No problem Nathankaye

Here's  the link for the DIY version

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=205356.0

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 09:32:38 pm »
No problem Nathankaye

Here's  the link for the DIY version

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=205356.0

Cheers bud, just spent last half hr or so, reading through all 12 pages on there. Lol i feel like an expert now and placing my orders
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jays Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 10:55:06 pm »
No worries bud let me know how you get on .

the king

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 06:00:37 am »

Just a quick Q.

please speak english  ;D ;D ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 08:33:33 am »
No worries bud let me know how you get on .

Will do. Ordered all parts last night, just hoping i dont have all the trouble all other chaps had with being sent the wrong motor. But im looking forward to sorting that out along with the immersion heater
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

matthewprice

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 07:50:17 pm »
Bit of an update .After 3 days use .Still impressed .On the HD there is a decent amount of resistance when pulling hose out ,so as  yet hose has stayed on reel .Also I have a large lesure battery and instead of a week plus between bench charging ,I am getting 2 days possibly a bit more but don't want to risk battery .Going to try running HD on large car battery  see how long these last .