This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

richyp

Window cleaning and google adds
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:40:38 am »
Hi, has anyone used google adds for domestic window cleaning and what were the results. I use it for upvc cleaning and gutter cleaning at present and quite pricey. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Richy

Forum Admin

Re: Window cleaning and google adds
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:31:25 am »
Hi Richy,

When you say your upvc cleaning and gutter cleaning adwords are pricey, what keywords are you using and what is mostly eating the budget?

It can be very easy to get people clicking through but you need to get the right people clicking through, from my experience you need to be more specific with the keywords. If the clicks are being used up and budget gone in a month and no work from it you're using the wrong keywords for you. Use your specific town names in your area that you're targeting, you can pause and start new ones all the time. It may be worth targeting a specific area for a month and seeing the results - such as 'Window Cleaner in "nearby town"'. Google lets you be as specific as you wish, changing the matches: "broad match, phrase match, or exact match keywords", trying exact match helped and got rid of a lot of untargeted/wasted clicks for us.

Forum Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:48:08 am »
Here's some further information on keyword matches:

Here’s how this works: AdWords allows you to add keywords to a campaign in one of the three ways mentioned above. You can add them as a broad match, phrase match, or exact match.

A broad match keyword means that your ads will show if the keywords are used in the search, regardless of the order. If you add “Nike running shoes,” for example, your ad will show up for people who type “Nike running shoes,” “Nike free running shoes,” and “where can I buy Nike shoes for running.”

A broad match means that your ad will show in a search so long as the keywords you entered show up in the search in one form or another. To enter a broad match term into AdWords, simply enter the term without any kind of punctuation before or after the term. In this example, you would simply type nike running shoes to add it as a broad match keyword.

A phrase match keyword means the keyword phrase needs to show up in the search as a complete phrase in the order you enter it. Using the same example as above, when you enter “Nike running shoes” as a phrase match keyword, then your ad will show up for terms like “Nike running shoes” and “where can I buy Nike running shoes.”

It will not show up for searches like “nike free running shoes” and “where can I buy Nike shoes for running” since the phrase doesn’t show up intact in those searches. In order to enter a keyword as a phrase match in AdWords, you enter it with quotation marks around the term when you add it as a keyword. Thus, with this example, you would type “nike running shoes” to add it as a phrase match keyword.

An exact match keyword works just like it sounds. The term being searched needs to exactly match the keyword that you entered in AdWords. Thus, if you have “Nike running shoes” as an exact match, it will show up only when someone searches for “Nike running shoes” and won’t show up even if someone searches for “Nike running shoes for sale.”

This may seem too narrow, but as you can imagine, it also makes your keywords and ads more precise. To add an exact match keyword in AdWords, you enter it with brackets around it like this: [nike running shoes].

This match type chart is provided by Google at support.google.com. It shows broad, phrase, and exact matches as well as broad modifier and negative matches:

richyp

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:54:36 pm »
Thanks for that!! Well supposed to be set right. I have been on phone to an expert quite a few times and apparently its set up right but seems very expensive.

Richy

richyp

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:20:50 pm »

Forum Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:56:32 pm »
Oh no.....look at all those clicks and nothing from it!! Those keywords are way too generic, are you looking to get people from all over the country as that's certainly setup to do so, areas always work better as that's what people search.  If you look at the CTR you will clearly see for example that out of 424 people searching for upvc cleaners or similar only 6.31% actually clicked through the site once clicked on your ad. This means that 93.69% of your clicks were not interested/wasted clicks equating to £295.41, for people to click through succesfully you paid £19.90.

It would be very rare for a customer to specifically search "UPVC cleaning" yet the clicks suggest otherwise meaning the searches are matching far too broadly.

Please do not be fooled into the numbers game, you would rather have 10 quality targeted people visit your site with a 30% conversion leading to 3 new customers than 1000 untargeted broadly chosen people visiting your site with a 0.3% conversion meaning just 3 new customers.

There is definitely something not right here - what is it you are looking to achieve? For example "I want to increase my customer base for upvc cleaning in Birmingham"

You need to be using the speech marks for more specific matches for example "Window Cleaning" not  +Window+Cleaning, maybe even more specific using exact match with the term [Window Cleaning].

richyp

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:06:49 pm »
I am supposed to have a 25 mile radius... don't suppose you know anyone that does this sort of thing do you.. it's supposed to be fine tuned by Google in Dublin .. really appreciate  advice and input

Richy

8weekly

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 08:29:38 pm »
Oh no.....look at all those clicks and nothing from it!! Those keywords are way too generic, are you looking to get people from all over the country as that's certainly setup to do so, areas always work better as that's what people search.  If you look at the CTR you will clearly see for example that out of 424 people searching for upvc cleaners or similar only 6.31% actually clicked through the site once clicked on your ad. This means that 93.69% of your clicks were not interested/wasted clicks equating to £295.41, for people to click through succesfully you paid £19.90.

It would be very rare for a customer to specifically search "UPVC cleaning" yet the clicks suggest otherwise meaning the searches are matching far too broadly.

Please do not be fooled into the numbers game, you would rather have 10 quality targeted people visit your site with a 30% conversion leading to 3 new customers than 1000 untargeted broadly chosen people visiting your site with a 0.3% conversion meaning just 3 new customers.

There is definitely something not right here - what is it you are looking to achieve? For example "I want to increase my customer base for upvc cleaning in Birmingham"

You need to be using the speech marks for more specific matches for example "Window Cleaning" not  +Window+Cleaning, maybe even more specific using exact match with the term [Window Cleaning].
The gist of what you say is correct, but there is a misunderstanding on CTR.

Click-through rate (CTR): Definition

A ratio showing how often people who see your ad end up clicking it. CTR can be used to gauge how well your keywords and ads are performing.

CTR is the number of clicks that your ad receives divided by the number of times your ad is shown: clicks ÷ impressions = CTR. For example, if you had 5 clicks and 1000 impressions, then your CTR would be 0.5%.
Each of your ads and keywords have their own CTRs that you can see listed in your account.
A high CTR is a good indication that users find your ads helpful and relevant. CTR also contributes to your keyword's expected CTR (a component of Quality Score), which can affect your costs and ad position. Note that a good CTR is relative to what you're advertising and on which networks.
You can use CTR to gauge which ads and keywords are successful for you and which need to be improved. The more your keywords and ads relate to each other and to your business, the more likely a user is to click your ad after searching on your keyword phrase.

richyp

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 08:43:18 pm »
Well people at google tell me i have a good ctr  !!

8weekly

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 09:04:00 pm »
Well people at google tell me i have a good ctr  !!
I reckon it's pretty meaningless.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 09:32:22 pm »
google ads are a great way to waste money....

i was spending about £400 a month on them a couple of years back...

my impression was you need to get really good at them for them to work for you well.. there are just so many variables that you can control and so many ways to get it wrong..

they take a lot of time to get right IMHO
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »

my impression was you need to get really good at them for them to work for you well.. there are just so many variables that you can control and so many ways to get it wrong..

The key is very tight keywords... e.g, [window cleaner wrexham], [window cleaning wrexham] , [wrexham window cleaning] etc. And a budgetary limit.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 10:23:45 pm »

The key is very tight keywords... e.g, [window cleaner wrexham], [window cleaning wrexham] , [wrexham window cleaning] etc. And a budgetary limit.

8weekly, are you from wrexham by any chance? lol

8weekly

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 04:03:16 am »

No.  ;D

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:39 am »

buts its not just this is it, you need loads of negative keywords also...  getting it tight isnt as easy as it seems.

the area specicity isnt that accurate either so if youre not covering a big area (i cover about a 12 mile radius) you get clicks from peple you dont want, even when you specifiy your area in detail, it depends where the routers are or something.

i'm sure you can do it.. it just takes a whole lot of work in my experience.

Ive also had a 'pro' manage it for me last year for a couple of months and I stopped that because I was getting daft clicks for dry cleaners, karcher window cleaners... all sorts of silly things.

I've not had a good experience and ive had a number of goes at getting it right.

its good if its working for you of course.  have just found it lots of bother and frustrating  :-\
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Ian101

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 07:00:15 am »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ... oi don't be telling him to come into my "manor"     ;D

Ian101

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 07:01:09 am »

window cleaner Buckley etc however is fine Richard  ;)

8weekly

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 07:09:26 am »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ... oi don't be telling him to come into my "manor"     ;D
I should have added (substitute Wrexham for your town).  ;D

8weekly

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 07:11:45 am »

buts its not just this is it, you need loads of negative keywords also...  getting it tight isnt as easy as it seems.

the area specicity isnt that accurate either so if youre not covering a big area (i cover about a 12 mile radius) you get clicks from peple you dont want, even when you specifiy your area in detail, it depends where the routers are or something.

i'm sure you can do it.. it just takes a whole lot of work in my experience.

Ive also had a 'pro' manage it for me last year for a couple of months and I stopped that because I was getting daft clicks for dry cleaners, karcher window cleaners... all sorts of silly things.

I've not had a good experience and ive had a number of goes at getting it right.

its good if its working for you of course.  have just found it lots of bother and frustrating  :-\
I've never found a need for negatives. I've always assumed that anyone searching will put in the town they are searching for and therefore have never used window cleaning as a search term without a town in the search.

Forum Admin

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 11:11:41 am »
Google Adwords takes a lot of time and managing, once you have the perfect formula setup that works for you it's a fantastic tool. But getting there isn't easy, there's a lot of trial and error and monitoring involved.

I suggest trying to walk before you can run, set a task of sorting your adwords for just one area of choice, trialling the following:

[Window cleaner town]
[window cleaning town]
[town window cleaner]

Of course replace town with your choice, be as specific as you can, for example if you choose a large city like London this will be too broad, you would need to choose something like Battersea.

Once you're happy you have the right formula and results you can expand on this, it can be a large list but easy enough to put together as a csv/Excel file.

I am supposed to have a 25 mile radius... don't suppose you know anyone that does this sort of thing do you.. it's supposed to be fine tuned by Google in Dublin .. really appreciate  advice and input

Richy

Richy you would certainly be better in getting a full list of the towns/areas you are wanting to cover in that 25 mile radius, and use the square brackets and monitor results.