This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ken_Long

Collapsible Ladder options
« on: July 27, 2016, 12:47:56 pm »
Hi
I very very rarely use ladders these days (the A frame on a few trad bungalows, and a short double to get on the odd garage roof) so I'm looking to get everything in the van, rather than lugging it about on the roof.

My van is a Transit Connect and it has a ply bulkhead. I've cut a small (170*55mm) slot in it so the A frame will fit inside.  Now I'm looking at getting a collapsible or folding ladder to go inside. As I say, I hardly use ladders now, so what's the best option?

Foldable? http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/telescopic-ladders/telescopic-ladder-system-4-x-3-rungs.html

Collapsible?
http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/telescopic-ladders/lamboro-3-8m-aluminium-telescopic-ladder.html

I'm interested in your experience with either option!

Shrek

Re: Collapsible Ladder options
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:34 pm »
I bought some extendable ladders last year , as I hardly use ladders as well . December time, I didn't realise but one of the buttons which lock the ladders in place had fallen off , when climbing up , they collapsed at one side , luckily I hadn't gone up far so I still looked cool when I jumped off .

Ashley Brothwood

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:26:41 pm »
i have the same one as at the top link but from screw fix
http://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-telescopic-ladder-2-section-2-x-7-treads-4-43m/64728

I keep them inside the van and they do come in handy. They are quite heavy but that's mostly due to the build of them and they seam quite strong

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 04:21:38 pm »
I got these
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/multi-function-folding-ladder-with-platform-n74ka
because they fitted in my pick up better than the screwfix ones Ashley mentioned, although I'd have to say the latter are quicker and more versatile to use as they are telescopic as well as folding.
Don't trust the telescopic ones mentioned in your post or that style, have had two sets over the years and although great at first they will fail eventually when you least expect it - plus they are flimsy and wobbly to climb on and do not give confidence.

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:10:04 pm »

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:20:29 pm »
The extendable ladders are handy but wobbly and quite flexible , don't feel safe at all in my opinion

Lee GLS

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:41:15 pm »
I've got a set of the surveryers ladders and they are great, the need to be kept clean and the little levers lubed but I use mine all the time. The can be a little whippey, but it's only used to read over a gate or if I'm clean inside a house and need to reach a window. Mine a few years old now and are fine. When they give up I will definitely buy another set.

I also have a little giant ladder which is also excellent to have, but they are a lot heavier. The collapsible ones are so quick and easy to put up, they save me a lot of time and effort.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 10:53:57 pm »
I've got a set of the surveryers ladders and they are great, the need to be kept clean and the little levers lubed but I use mine all the time. The can be a little whippey, but it's only used to read over a gate or if I'm clean inside a house and need to reach a window. Mine a few years old now and are fine. When they give up I will definitely buy another set.

I also have a little giant ladder which is also excellent to have, but they are a lot heavier. The collapsible ones are so quick and easy to put up, they save me a lot of time and effort.

Do you stand on the bottom rung, rest your elbows on the top of the gate and hold "War and Peace" in the air over the  other side?
It's a game of three halves!

Flash..

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 11:27:00 pm »
http://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-telescopic-ladder-2-section-2-x-7-treads-4-43m/64728

I keep them inside the van and they do come in handy. They are quite heavy but that's mostly due to the build of them and they seam quite strong

I have the Screwfix ladder and dont think I could manage without it, bit heavy but  great bit of kit.

SeanK

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 07:52:11 am »
I have a 4.7m multi position ladder ( bought from Amazon ) its handy for locked gates getting onto the odd garage roof and it forms a platform with walking plates which is handy for cleaning conservatory roofs, when folded it sits upright inside the van (Dispatch) taking up very little room.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 08:07:33 am »
you still cant beat having a 3.5m trade ladder.far more solid.
price higher/work harder!

a900

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 08:43:46 am »
Mine a few years old now and are fine. When they give up I will definitely buy another set.

I 2 have a collapsible ladder and that statement above is what worries me using it. Don't have that worry with my triples. Not a lot of parts to break on them while I'm up it.

Ken_Long

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 09:59:55 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I think I'm probably going to go with the foldable/slideable option. I'll keep my "standard" ladder, but I can't think when I'll need it.

I've got one garage roof to access next Thursday. And one the week after that. Easily doable with the folding ladder. Removing the roofrack/ladder combo must have an effect on van  mpg, so it feels like a good move.

Bay View WCS

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 09:04:18 pm »

I have the Screwfix ladder and dont think I could manage without it, bit heavy but  great bit of kit.

+1

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 10:11:26 pm »

these are quite poor now , we have three sets that I bought 3 years ago and there great

however the new lighter one (that you have posted )are very poor and didn't last a year

G Griffin

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 10:33:00 pm »

Do you stand on the bottom rung, rest your elbows on the top of the gate and hold "War and Peace" in the air over the  other side?
Hehehe.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐