This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smurf

Softwashing with sodium hypochlorite is it illegal?
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:23:03 pm »
Softwashing with sodium hypochlorite is it illegal?...Apparently so  ::)roll https://www.benzsoftwash.com/blogs/trade-tips/sodium-hypochlorite-soft-washing?

It is ILLEGAL to Use Unapproved Sodium Hypochlorite (SH) for Soft Washing - Part 1

We've noticed that many soft washing contractors have been using sodium hypochlorite (SH) that's been approved only for use in swimming pools, milking parlours, or other uses other than soft washing.

We noticed a lot of assumptions being made about the use of sodium hypochlorite soft washing mixtures. And a lot of confusion and myths arising from these assumptions.

So we decided to get to the truth about the current situation regarding the use of sodium hypochlorite for soft washing.

We asked the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) these questions
 1."Is it illegal to use an HSE approved product for a use other than the specified use in the conditions of approval?"
 2."Is it illegal to alter an HSE approved product by adding dish washing soap, or other additives, to change the characteristics of the product?"

The response we got from the HSE

1)  “Yes, if the product is not used in the correct way as specified in the conditions of approval then it is illegal.”

2)  “The Approval Holder can alter the formulation of their approved product.

“However, the approval holder must apply to the HSE for an amendment to the product formulation. The amendment must be approved by the HSE before they can advertise, sell, supply, market, or use the product.

“If the approved formulation is altered in any way, the conditions of approval have been broken and this is an illegal act.”

We received the above responses direct from the UKCA (UK Competent Authority) for Biocides.

Note: At the time of writing the only sodium hypochlorite based soft washing biocide we know of that is fully approved – and therefore the only sodium hypochlorite based biocide that is completely legal – is Benz Blackwash.

Not content with that, we asked the Irish Pesticides Control Division (PCD) this question

"Is it illegal to use a PCD notified product for a use other than specified as the use in the conditions of approval?"

PCD: "Yes, product should only be used as indicated on the label. If the product is not used as per label then it would be an illegal use.

We received the above response direct from the PCD Biocides Team.

We believe that our questions and the responses from the HSE and PCD make the situation crystal clear:

If a soft washing contractor uses non-approved SH, and non-approved additives, to formulate a soft washing solution
– they are breaking the law

The dangers of using illegal soft washing chemicals
 ◦Your insurance policy, both public and employer liability, would almost certainly be made invalid.
 ◦If there was an accident, and your insurance policy was deemed invalid, you could be held personally responsible and liable for all court costs and compensation payments.
 ◦You could be fined for breaking the law.
 ◦You could have your business shut down by the Health and Safety inspectors.

Is Benz Blackwash fully legal?

Yes, at the time of writing the only sodium hypochlorite based soft washing biocide we know of that is fully approved – and therefore the only sodium hypochlorite based biocide that is completely legal – is Benz Blackwash.

Wishing you softwashing success – legally!

Ben & Leo

This article is Part One of a 3-Part series in which we elaborate on the facts around using sodium hypochlorite (SH) for soft washing.

Click here to download a FREE Professional Soft Wash Pricing Guide and subscribe to our Trade Tips blog (receive soft washing how-to tips direct to your Inbox)

Charlie Allen

Re: Softwashing with sodium hypochlorite is it illegal?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 02:28:55 pm »
Seriuosly get a life ! Who's your new pr man David Camaron ? Is this your project fear campaign ?
premierclean2000.com
Facebook.com/premierclean 2000 Ltd

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:05:43 pm »
It's nothing to do with me but made interesting reading I thought  ;D

ascjim

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:54:14 pm »
That's good to know, cheers

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:59:53 pm »
Yeah and its illegal to exceed 70mph -  the prisons will be very full ! They are all at it, benz slagging hypo users off, the Frenchman slagging benz off

http://www.benzsoftwash.biz/oldindex.html

How am I going to sleep tonight

Plankton

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 01:01:09 am »
It's nothing to do with me but made interesting reading I thought  ;D
It is interesting especially with so many using hypo.

Darran Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 07:22:29 am »
Interesting how many chemical manufacturers demonise sodium hypochlorite, still.
The reason is I guess to sell their own chemicals?

We still use 3000 - 4000 litres of sodium hypochlorite per month and have never been fined for doing so.

There are a number of reasons which I won't go into detail here but basically we BLEND the SH from 14%/15% down to between 1%-5% MAX. No more than the strength of Sodium Hypochlorite sold in supermarkets across the UK - Domestos being a well known brand.

Because we BLEND and do not mix one batch solutions H&S have no issues with what we are doing. We carry legal amounts of SH in our Vans and our teams never have to touch it whilst working on any customers premises.

What I keep finding - people pay a LOT for Pre Mixed Sodium Hypochlorite - which is CRIMINAL imho.

We sampled render cleaning for a housing association recently. They brought in their top H&S people to see if what we were doing was in fact safe.
We BLENDED SH, Water and a Soap we use - SH came out at 1% strength, The property looked amazing without brushing, without pressure - just a quick light coat and dwell time.

The housing association were so impressed the contractor we helped will now clean over 3000 homes at a very good £ rate. He wont need ladders, brushes - even on the most infested properties.
He wont spend a lot on Sodium Hypochlorite because he will BLEND it down to 1% - 2%

The reason I tell you all of this is because there is another team currently using a Pre Mixed Product which has been costing £1,000s - Money will be saved. Job will be completed quicker giving more profit.

The chemical supplier will lose revenue because he sells pre mixed products (water) for a very high price.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 05:25:55 pm »
Good post - more like this from you would be great however I see no difference in blended and mixed
Dictionary definition of blended is to mix substances together

But overall top post

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 06:36:53 pm »
According to the HSE website you shouldn’t go down the road cleaning every houses  windows using ladders but thousands do and no one enforces it , hypo is hypo whether it’s for  pool sterilisation , dairy cleaning or what ever , I have a customer who  is an industrial chemist  he said there is very little difference between them and all are ok for  doing what we do with regards to  softwashing  we do his house every few years . Benz stuff doesn’t clean any better than dairy hypochlorite, we have some customers ( commercial) that insist we use Benz lightning clenz as it’s approved so we use it and just charge them a lot more they are happy and so are we but it’s a waste of money as no better cleaning results .

waterforce

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 07:53:03 pm »
Interesting how many chemical manufacturers demonise sodium hypochlorite, still.

We still use 3000 - 4000 litres of sodium hypochlorite per month and have never been fined for doing so.

There are a number of reasons which I won't go into detail here but basically we BLEND the SH from 14%/15% down to between 1%-5% MAX. No more than the strength of Sodium Hypochlorite sold in supermarkets across the UK - Domestos being a well known brand.

Because we BLEND and do not mix one batch solutions H&S have no issues with what we are doing. We carry legal amounts of SH in our Vans and our teams never have to touch it whilst working on any customers premises.

What I keep finding - people pay a LOT for Pre Mixed Sodium Hypochlorite - which is CRIMINAL imho.

We sampled render cleaning for a housing association recently. They brought in their top H&S people to see if what we were doing was in fact safe.
We BLENDED SH, Water and a Soap we use - SH came out at 1% strength, The property looked amazing without brushing, without pressure - just a quick light coat and dwell time.

The housing association were so impressed the contractor we helped will now clean over 3000 homes at a very good £ rate. He wont need ladders, brushes - even on the most infested properties.
He wont spend a lot on Sodium Hypochlorite because he will BLEND it down to 1% - 2%

The reason I tell you all of this is because there is another team currently using a Pre Mixed Product which has been costing £1,000s - Money will be saved. Job will be completed quicker giving more profit.

The chemical supplier will lose revenue because he sells pre mixed products (water) for a very high price.
However you do lie a lot.

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 06:02:23 pm »

However you do lie a lot.

Care to expand a bit ? After a statement like that it should really be explained not just make an accusation

Rob.Hall

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 08:41:16 am »
What is the soap you use on your mix Daren?

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 12:26:22 pm »
What is the soap you use on your mix Daren?

Google purple rhino softwash you will find all the chemicals on his web site

Rob.Hall

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 06:35:12 pm »
Thanks.