This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee Burbidge

Oxidization
« on: May 21, 2016, 08:18:48 am »
Oxidization of the frames, wooden or plastic as you guys know can cause a milky white residue no matter if you are trad or a wfp guy. How different do we all tackle this?

https://youtu.be/4uuQnu88S1I

AuRavelling79

Re: Oxidization
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 08:44:55 am »
When I have thoroughly cleaned the window (wfp) I reduce the flow and rinse as close as I can to the top rubber seal without touching it.

If it's a particularly bad downstairs window or reception doors in an office I would blade it (as in pull the blade across to remove the wfp water droplets) with no soap.
It's a game of three halves!

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:01:51 am »
Nice informative vid for novices Lee. 

As you rightfully pointed out this is probably one of the most common reason why wfp gets a bad name.

I must have heard it a thousand times when speaking to potentials why they are not keen on wfp. Most will say something like "The windows looked worse after than before when the last window cleaner did them with that pole thing."  ;D

To find out whilst on a quote if white plastic frames are oxidised or not a simple quick test  is to wet a finger and run it a long a frame. If it turns white then you know for sure and should price the job up accordingly.

VERNE

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:50:21 am »
Started a new customer yesterday  upvc frames and glass minging  not cleaned for eight years  she said
As soon as i started scrubbing the frames down came the white river on these type jobs i just keep scrubbing until the water runs clear then a quick scrub and rinse over the glass  and frame move on to next windows doors etc and do the same then go back to the first one and give the glass a good scrub the glass again  followed by a good rinse then repeat on the rest of the windows never had a problem doing it this way and a easy clean in 6 weeks time customer was amazed paid up and give a good tip too by the end of the day she called me with details of 3 of her friends who want to come on regular .
when i used to trad i would wash and wipe dry the frames then do the glass no probs

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 09:52:18 am »
When I have thoroughly cleaned the window (wfp) I reduce the flow and rinse as close as I can to the top rubber seal without touching it.

If it's a particularly bad downstairs window or reception doors in an office I would blade it (as in pull the blade across to remove the wfp water droplets) with no soap.

What if you were cleaning an old school.... with a first and second floor, old metal white painted frames ( you know the type I mean?) How would you manage that? Scaffold? Powered Access? Or manage the customers expectations and wfp best you can?

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 09:53:24 am »
Nice informative vid for novices Lee. 

As you rightfully pointed out this is probably one of the most common reason why wfp gets a bad name.

I must have heard it a thousand times when speaking to potentials why they are not keen on wfp. Most will say something like "The windows looked worse after than before when the last window cleaner did them with that pole thing."  ;D

To find out whilst on a quote if white plastic frames are oxidised or not a simple quick test  is to wet a finger and run it a long a frame. If it turns white then you know for sure and should price the job up accordingly.

Yes I do this for exact same reasons......

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 10:07:19 am »
Rinse. Rinse enough problem solved.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 10:08:36 am »

I have had windows that continuously seep the white residue.

SeanK

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 12:08:28 pm »
I clean white UPVC window frames from 30 years old right up to new and have never come across an oxidized frame,
I wonder has somebody been at those frames in the past with a Brillo pad or similar and ruined the coating, they just don't
look old enough to be that badly oxidized and I suspect some cowboy has ruined them restoring the colour and shine.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 02:45:04 pm »
I find that plastic frames generally are OK, it's the white (coated? painted? enameled?) metal frames that cause the problem.  They look like plastic but if you tap on them with a pen/pencil or something like that you can hear the metallic ring.  They also look different, so I can spot them as soon as I go to look at a new enquiry.

This white coating breaks down, more so on the south (sunnier) side of buildings.  It forms a powdery layer that wipes off even with a dry cloth, and as previous posters have said turns your pure water into something like super skimmed milk.  Some respond to a lot of rinsing but a very few still leach white clean after clean.

I always do the 'wet finger' test and show the customer when I go to do a quote.  They can see the problem when you stick your finger in front of their eyes - I then tell them what causes it and explain that it could leave a milky haze on the glass for the first clean or two but after that it should be fine and if it isn't  to call me and I'll come back and have a look to see what we can do about it.

Luckily I've never been called back.

I think people appreciate me taking the time to explain and even though we take a lot of extra care the first time if there is an issue they don't get annoyed.  I guess either the first clean is good, or it improves the second time because I can't remember the last time I was called back to one of these.

G Griffin

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 03:02:28 pm »

I have had windows that continuously seep the white residue.
Come again.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 03:19:04 pm »
I clean white UPVC window frames from 30 years old right up to new and have never come across an oxidized frame,
I wonder has somebody been at those frames in the past with a Brillo pad or similar and ruined the coating, they just don't
look old enough to be that badly oxidized and I suspect some cowboy has ruined them restoring the colour and shine.

It's nothing to do with how it has been cleaned in the past. Ian has already mentioned the big hot ball in the sky we call the sun will oxidise any type of metal, plastic and even painted wooden surfaces after time.

SeanK

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »

It's nothing to do with how it has been cleaned in the past. Ian has already mentioned the big hot ball in the sky we call the sun will oxidise any type of metal, plastic and even painted wooden surfaces after time.

No it wont my UPVC window frames are over twenty years old and there isn't even a hint of  oxidisation, they are designed to
be resistant to sun and weather damage and if they are oxidising then it because they have been damaged or of poor quality
which certainly wouldn't be the norm.
I'm only talking about UPVC frames as I know the metal ones oxidise over time which is to be expected as they are powder coated, the same goes for any that are painted.
Like I have said I have yet to find a oxidised UPVC window frame.

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »
Oh yes they will as I've done loads including my own white plastics   ;D ;D

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 07:15:19 pm »

This 100% right, and you can test it for yourself. Frames oxidize, usually,  through many years of baking sun, usually in the sun trap side of a property.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 10:32:39 pm »

What if you were cleaning an old school.... with a first and second floor, old metal white painted frames ( you know the type I mean?) How would you manage that? Scaffold? Powered Access? Or manage the customers expectations and wfp best you can?

This.
It's a game of three halves!

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 10:23:35 am »

This.

Got you... Thanks

JSMC

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 10:52:25 am »
Or just squeegge it?