This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Wfp eating at chrome hinges / handles
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:51:46 am »
Hi all , just picked up a nice job with modern grey coloured frames etc . On the patio doors they have chrome  hinges and handles . The owner said I don't know what the other guy was using but it started to ruin the chrome . When I inspected , it looked as though the fittings had either started to rust ( wasn't orange) or the pure was eating at the chrome  ???
Has anyone else experience with this?
Cheers

Clever Forum Name

Re: Wfp eating at chrome hinges / handles
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:21:04 pm »
Is it a new build house? as in on this new build estates that pop up.........

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 12:40:43 pm »
No mate it's an old house that's been modernised

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:51:16 pm »
Hi all , just picked up a nice job with modern grey coloured frames etc . On the patio doors they have chrome  hinges and handles . The owner said I don't know what the other guy was using but it started to ruin the chrome . When I inspected , it looked as though the fittings had either started to rust ( wasn't orange) or the pure was eating at the chrome  ???
Has anyone else experience with this?
Cheers

It's nothing to do with using pure water as it's not a solvent as is no different when the door fittings gets wet when it rains.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:52 pm »
Ok cheers maybe he was using an additive or something then  ???

ascjim

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »
It was probably nothing to do with him. You know how stupid some people are

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 01:11:33 pm »
There is an optional "upgrade" on some new builds of chrome hinges. I clean some, as you do. I could actually see the damage being done. She got them under warranty, but same is happening. Poor quality.

Og

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:58:19 pm »
Does chrome oxidise?

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 02:19:45 pm »
There is an optional "upgrade" on some new builds of chrome hinges. I clean some, as you do. I could actually see the damage being done. She got them under warranty, but same is happening. Poor quality.

Aha I see , nice 1 . At least I know I'm not the only one !

SeanK

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 02:34:59 pm »
Does chrome oxidise?

No but if the quality of the metal under it is poor/cheap then the chrome starts to lift and eventually peel away, that
combined with the chrome being too thinly applied.
For outside fittings it needs to be top quality, but you can be certain its nothing to do with pure or anything added to it.

slap bash

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 03:25:41 pm »
AS Sean says 100 %.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »
Thanks everyone, just trying to be prepared for when I get the blame next for ruining his chrome  ;D

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 07:10:29 pm »
Been using pure to clean my car for eight years and it hasn't harmed the Chrome fittings any more than the rain has. They look almost as good as when I first got it, which is pretty good.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 07:59:57 pm »
You clean them once a month. The rain wets them 3 or 4 times a week. It must be the window cleaner!

Poor quality fittings I'm afraid as has been said. The water gets between the chrome and the base. The base oxidises, swells and lifts the chrome.  (Is it actually chrome or some chrome look alike coating, the same stuff they put on plastic).  I think the hinge is an alloy - its not steel.

We have one house where this is happening.  The other couple where the same thing is happening have a white coating.  One house even has the hinge pins going rusty - it was already doing it before I did the first clean after they were fitted. I reported it but nothing was done.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 08:52:51 pm »
They look quite expensive to be honest , not the kind of people that look like they'd try to save a bit of money on cheap fittings , 65 plate bmw , everything looks posh , nice clothes etc etc , they don't look like the chrome you'd get on your shower fittings

nathankaye

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 09:19:31 pm »
I was under the impression that pure water is a solvent and if used on metal for instance it would rust far more quicker than rain water fall and that pure water was also corrosive.
But then i was reading a whole lot on pure water, ultra pure water and its many usages and if safe to drink etc, regardless of used resins or not.

Another i have noticed, probably due to lack of chlorine, but ive had same customers for many years, but since using wfp and bare in mind my rotation is every 4wks.....the development of algae in groves of plastic frames leading down onto frames. Also note that yes i obviusly clean frames n sills, as anyone else noted this or is it a given
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

windowswashed

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 09:30:27 pm »
I've noticed it as well

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 09:54:08 pm »
I was under the impression that pure water is a solvent and if used on metal for instance it would rust far more quicker than rain water fall and that pure water was also corrosive.
But then i was reading a whole lot on pure water, ultra pure water and its many usages and if safe to drink etc, regardless of used resins or not.

Another i have noticed, probably due to lack of chlorine, but ive had same customers for many years, but since using wfp and bare in mind my rotation is every 4wks.....the development of algae in groves of plastic frames leading down onto frames. Also note that yes i obviusly clean frames n sills, as anyone else noted this or is it a given

This year appears worse than previous years. We've been wfp for going on 11 years so if this was a pure water issue then I would think we would have noticed it before now.

This year has been very wet and windy for us and I notice that the green algea is mainly on north facing windows.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 10:41:55 pm »
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk