Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steven Butler

Marketing
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:08:46 am »
What marketing methods are working for you and how do they compare.
I imagine most of everyones work comes from google/online/adwords but does anyone still leaflet, use local mags etc..

Mike Halliday

Re: Marketing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 09:58:53 am »
I think you need to slightly alter your question, either......

What marketing works for getting new customers? & What marketing works to get your existing customers to use you again ? Both are marketing but each has its own methods and without differentiating you will get skewed results of what works
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Steven Butler

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:44 am »
New customers Mike.

Ive been relying on adwords but want to try something different to compare results.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 10:58:12 am »
I use adword before Xmas for 3 months as my only active marketing( apart frommy organic listing & Google pages) I had sacked my leafleting guy and thought I would give Adwords a go.

It was costing me around £12 a customer (that is the amount it cost per month divide by how many customers it brought in) but if I'm honest it was not bring in the quality of customers I like and the work was very spread out over a bigger area than I like to travel........even with putting the demographics as close as possible.

I' m now back to leafleting which is much more controllable

derek west

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 11:00:57 am »
Facebook leafleting is the new craze, its like leafleting only you only pay for the ones people look at.  and no trees get killed in the process.  ;D

Steven Butler

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 11:18:53 am »
I dont do facebook.

How many leaflets do you put out Mike and whats your results.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 01:16:10 pm »
Facebook and facebook advertising are two very different things.....
Everyone should be doing facebook advertising at the moment as it can be very targeted and cost pence compared to adwords.....

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 11:18:01 am »
I dont do facebook.

How many leaflets do you put out Mike and whats your results.

Only getting about 1200 a week out at the moment , give it another couple of weeks (so the weather improves and the winter lull is over)  and I will look for another leafleter.

Getting about 3-4 jobs a week from leaflets at the moment  but this will  improve from Easter time when the pressure washing takes off

Richard Harwood

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:36:09 pm »
HI peeps
I tried facebook advertising and it cost me twice as much as ad words with poor results.....won't be using facebook again

Steve Chapman

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 09:54:16 pm »
HI peeps
I tried facebook advertising and it cost me twice as much as ad words with poor results.....won't be using facebook again

When I learnt to drive,  I had to have quite a few lessons before I was proficient & able to pass my test......probably took a good 6 months but once I had it cracked has stood me in good stead for many years............

wayne zabel

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 10:06:05 pm »
I have only done 2 FB paid for targeted campaigns and both were very fruitful in getting jobs from all sorts of clients.

I have just set up another one today so fingers crossed it will generate business.

I have been using free local magazines but have knocked one on the head as they don't all generate leads.

Ian Harper

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 07:23:55 am »
Steven Butler

You need to think of this subject as sales and marketing. marketing is selling to people that have a need for your service and are looking, sales is selling to people that are not looking but can become customers with some kind of offer.

marketing will always be price  sensitive as you will be competing with other quotes, but sale is not price sensitive as you are normally the only quote.

So your message has to be different to both groups. The first marketing has to prove why your service is better and has more value as you are competing. Sales messages are more about offers and value and the importance that the offer will run out soon so they best act fast or miss out.

When people talk about marketing they normally are talking about media, internet, leaflets, mail shot, etc. its the media that carries the message. so as an example internet you could market on adwords for people that are looking for your services or use facebook with a sales message. mail shots you can mail to your database or prospect businesses for new customers,  and one that I have just realised that you can message both groups is leaflets, I have use leaflets for new customers and I farm one big area but only had offers on for new customers and not for people that had used me before. now I am have two types of offer on my leaflets.

Now to you question all media works but is all down to cost of a customer. This is why you must track your costs for each media and group that way its a simple task of adding up the cost of getting that customer, with your overheads then your profit. this is then you price.  so because some cost of getting a customer will be far more expensive you can sell different offers, plans, and deals to each group at different price points just like super markets do with any range of product basic, middle, and high end.

So all marketing works but you have to test and then track costs. this way you get the information you need to make your decisions and more importantly invest your money.

One last point is that marketing should be an investment and not a cost. and you should always ring fence this investment (take this money out of any jobs and put into its own account before paying anything) and build it up as you go forwards. this way you war chest gets bigger. and with it the reach of your marketing.

Hope this helps

Robin Ray

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:54:35 am »
marketing will always be price  sensitive as you will be competing with other quotes, but sale is not price sensitive as you are normally the only quote.

Not necessarily some people are looking for the best rather than the cheapest or even the best value. That's why some people buy BMWs and others buy Skodas.

tim handley

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:57:32 am »
just had a delevery quote for a reliable service at £25 per 1000.... is that about right?   for a good service, not just dumping em?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 08:10:30 am »
just had a delevery quote for a reliable service at £25 per 1000.... is that about right?   for a good service, not just dumping em?

Delivered as 1 of 2 or 3 that's good but as 1 of 5-6 it's crap. Inside a booklet or magazine us also a bad idea

tim handley

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 08:22:58 am »
thanks mike.. ive never dipped my toe into mass leafleting, now im about to......
jut got to come up with the right leaflet now!
any samples anywhere?
any pointers?
does?
donts?
 many thanks........

Steve Chapman

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:23 am »
Mike,

Do you just deliver the leaflets yourself now and  find this is the most effective way rather than employing someone ?

Steve

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 09:45:17 pm »
i just use my charm...works a treat

Mike Halliday

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 06:47:28 am »
Mike,

Do you just deliver the leaflets yourself now and  find this is the most effective way rather than employing someone ?
Steve

Sorry for the delayed answer, missed your question.

Since the beginning of this year I have been doing 90 mins leafleting each day myself. This is how I'm getting the 1200 out.

I decided I would not get anyone else until this month as Jan & Feb are not great for leafleting, the cold weather is hard on leafleters ( I've been leafleting in -5 and darkness at 6 in the morning)

People comment about how unproductive doing leaflets yourself is and there's other marketing thats more effective but I find it easy to do in addition to my other marketing

dustee

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 03:49:23 pm »
Doing your own leaflet delivery is easy & you'd be surprised at how many you can deliver in just an hour