This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

captain lard

What would you have done?
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:41:20 pm »
I have started doing windows about 2 months ago and actually do about 25 out of 38 houses in my own street.
This afternoon my eldest daughter told me that Joyce the old lady who lives opposite me wanted a word.Joyce is 70 odd and her health isnt great,but shes a nice lady,I clean her windows,have collected her pension for her and gone to the shops for her and she has given my kids sweets and easter eggs n that.
Anyway she says to me"Paul can our Michelle borrow your ladders",Joyce has relatives in the street and about 7 doors from me her Michelle lives with her mam and dad,I am not sure what relatives they are ,just know they are family.
So I said"What does she want them for" basically cos I am wondering how long they might want them for and what they might be using them for you know,and Joyce says"They want to wash the windows"

So I stood and laughed thinking WTF.
"She wants to wash the windows?" Says me.
"Aye shes rang me to see if youll lend them,her boyfriend is a WC and he wants to wash them.
I struggled not to let me jaw hit the deck though I kept smiling,Joyce is a nice lady and I think she just got asked to ask me and was on the spot and hadnt really thought about it.
I said "I am a window cleaner Joyce" and kept thinking cos sometimes I make bad decisions if I dont stop,calm down and think.Me gut instinct was this is not on but did not want to upset Joyce so said "No offence Joyce I like you a lot but I am not lending them the ladders."
She seemed ok and went back in the house,I came in and told me wife and we just couldnt believe it.What makes it worse is when I canvassed the street I knocked on Michelles door and her dad,who likes a drink,wasnt that pleasant about telling me he didnt want his windows done!!!But its ok to lend me ladders now.
I think I was right to say no and cant believe the bloody cheek-whats your thoughts,had anything similair?

www.mrgutters.co.uk

Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:44:20 pm »
tell buy there own or pay you a tenner do the windows ...

shawn ;D
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

brett walker

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:00:10 am »
 :o :o :o ::) >:( :( :'( :P ???

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D what a cheek

brett

captain lard

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:03:21 am »
Aye thats what I thought ,cheeky as owt,am laughing now but christ,what were they thinking.
Might lose a job like cos another relative lives at the bottom of the street and I might get the elbow but sod that.

beefy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 12:53:02 am »
if her boyfriends a wc why does he need to borrow ladders

captain lard

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:10:01 am »
Exactly,if he was wheres his kit?

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 08:01:57 am »
hey maybe

he wanted to borrow your ladder to do his round ! ;D
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 10:04:54 am »
Don't be mean Captain Lard and lend them your Ladders ???

For a Tenner ;D ;D

captain lard

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 10:42:22 am »
Had the old lady apologising today but told her not to worry,it wasnt her fault,think she felt awkward about it.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 05:09:18 pm »
Some people just have no idea????????

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I would have told her to get him to pop round and see me and then I would have told him to Pi** O**
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

mick40

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 06:13:57 pm »
Tell him you will foot the ladder ;)
if i eat myself will i be twice as fat or will i disappear?

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 08:07:12 pm »
After 20 years in the trade I've learnt.......

Don't do the neighbours or family or friends.

But then that is how we all start.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

macc

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 08:23:07 pm »
After 20 years in the trade I've learnt.......

Don't do the neighbours or family or friends.

But then that is how we all start.

David

no way would i have lent my ladders, doing jobs on the cheap, there also the ones that always moan, im hardening up now, if they dont want to pay, get some one else with their own kit.

macc

julianbiggs

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 10:39:51 pm »
I would be most accommodating and lend them your ladders. This is a hard world we live in a it's good sometimes to just to say i"'m bigger than this and am not going to get annoyed, here are my ladders and there's a squeegee, cloth and scrim too. Just please bring the ladders back when you've finished".... BUT, don't tell them that you've rubbed lard all over the rungs of the ladder!!!!! CHEEKY BUGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnboyfree

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 12:07:36 am »
Appart from the Legal Aspect,Youre ladders-He falls Youre fault.....You get sued...  :( Youre Trade-Youre loss of a possible wage...  :(I can see know reason not too...After all... were all window cleaners at heart..... ;D ;D ;D

baldeagle

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 04:59:19 pm »
Tell him that your insurers won't allow you to lend ladders.
However, he can hire them, [or higher them!] for £100 per hour, or part thereof.

Baldeagle in Staffordshire
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.