This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KS Cleaning

Re: The cost of employing. My experience.
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 06:21:17 pm »
I actually found the part of your post  " if you don't like the fact that people want to do better than you, then don't read it "  quite insulting to those that for whatever reason choose not to employ......... even tho I employ myself.

Mick Kent

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 06:22:00 pm »
Well dont put they get payed if its he gets paid.
Good post though anyway.

Smurf

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 06:31:34 pm »
I actually found the part of your post  " if you don't like the fact that people want to do better than you, then don't read it "  quite insulting to those that for whatever reason choose not to employ......... even tho I employ myself.

To be fair I found that rather insulting too. There are many that have employees on here already James or have been employers and even some or will reach a point to decide how they want to grow their businnes or not be it taking on staff, going down the franchise root or just be happy doing what they are doing.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »
Lol it's either another 40 a week or 80 you donut 😂😂😂😂

So none of the other costs change then?

Smudger

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2016, 10:25:05 pm »
Has aweek gone by already 🤔🙄

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Perfect Windows

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2016, 10:48:29 pm »
Has aweek gone by already 🤔🙄

Darran

No, it's only a five day ban.  Again.

Vin

lee_dewing

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2016, 11:31:34 am »
Interesting post.

What I don't understand is how you employ someone on the books 5 days a week in this industry when you can't work 5 days a week.

Most of the time 4 full days Monday to Saturday is best you can manage.

Understand people on here do employ just interested how they manage with lost time due to bad weather;  bad enough cost yourself money let alone paying someone else.

Lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Smudger

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2016, 11:39:15 am »
What don't you understand Lee?

Monday to Friday - out you go !!

Winter maybe slightly trickier as days are shorter, so sometimes Saturday is required, but TBH we've not had a day rained off for months, stopped early or started late on the bad windy days, just do some extra hours the following days

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2016, 11:55:59 am »
Interesting post.

What I don't understand is how you employ someone on the books 5 days a week in this industry when you can't work 5 days a week.

Understand people on here do employ just interested how they manage with lost time due to bad weather;  bad enough cost yourself money let alone paying someone else.

Lee

Good question  ;)

Most will probably say they get their workers to work in all weathers (within reason). If they don't work they don't get paid. Not so great for the workers if the firm is trad only unless they have internal contracts to be getting on with when they can't work outside.

Getting cold, miserable & wet is all part of the job for most. Then they moan too when it gets a bit warm outside so you can't win  ;D   

8weekly

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2016, 11:58:58 am »
Interesting post.

Lee
I have had one person working for me since January 2015. Days lost - 1. And we leafleted. Second person starts on 1st April hopefully.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2016, 06:22:03 pm »
Steve when are you going to start?

;)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2016, 06:52:59 pm »

;)
did he ever ;D ;D ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2016, 11:44:16 pm »
CIU at its finest.

Page 1 - Awesome post; thanks; very helpful - post of the year
Page 2 - This isn't right; stop willy waving; chumbucket/winpro arrives and is deleted
Page 3 - "I'm insulted"; it won't work; waste of time reading etc.

;D
It's a game of three halves!

8weekly

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2016, 11:55:52 pm »

;)
did he ever ;D ;D ;D
Cheeky gits, I did three hours today.  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2016, 12:01:15 am »
CIU at its finest.

Page 1 - Awesome post; thanks; very helpful - post of the year
Page 2 - This isn't right; stop willy waving; chumbucket/winpro arrives and is deleted
Page 3 - "I'm insulted"; it won't work; waste of time reading etc.

;D

Indeed  ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2016, 01:14:52 pm »
Interesting post.

Lee

Think I have lost about 2-3 days this year due to weather.  But I actually think it's more like 1 or 2

AuRavelling79

Re: The cost of employing. My experience. New
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2016, 03:51:34 pm »
@Lee

When DtM worked for me he was guaranteed 4 days nominally 8.30 am until 4.30 pm (actually 32 hours pay and lunch and tea breaks were included) and the plan was that "generally" he would work Mon-Thursday and have Friday off but that any day or half day the weather or scheduling stopped us working then he would have to make it up on the Friday and extremely rarely the Saturday.

But I would always "give him the edge" if the work was completed and usually he would turn up at my house between 7.30 and 8.30 and we would work until about 3.00/3.30. 

But if we were behind due to heavy rain/ice etc then perhaps about once a month he made up time on the Friday and I think once in three years we worked a Saturday from 10 am til 3pm one winter just before Xmas break.

He also had to take his hols to cover the non-bank holidays between Xmas and New Year.

I also paid him a bonus if certain quarterly figures were reached and in the 3 years he worked directly for me I think only one quarter he didn't get target.
It's a game of three halves!

lee_dewing

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »
Thanks for your detailed breakdown Granville Gold.

That makes sense.

Everyone does things differently I know but window cleaning in the rain is something I try to avoid.

Yes light rain if I have.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

8weekly

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »
Thanks for your detailed breakdown Granville Gold.

That makes sense.

Everyone does things differently I know but window cleaning in the rain is something I try to avoid.

Yes light rain if I have.
Unless you overcome that, you can't employ. Are you WFP?

CleanClear

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2016, 08:04:46 pm »
Interesting post.

Lee

Lee i've personally had one of the the worst winters i've ever had. Second only to the winter of 2010 when we had -15 temps for over a month. It seems to me that in January, we had a personalised storm for every week, its was either Bernie, Bertha or some other Americanism. It was also like this just before Christmas if you remember ? I pre notify my work, most of it but not all. I just had no incentive to let anyone know i'd be round tomorrow because the news weather forcast had just told me there would be 50mph gales all day and night. So i never bothered. I just resigned myself to the fact i was having a day off. Of course i don't need the money. I don't mean that in a smug way, of course i'm not a millionaire and i need my wages as much as the next man. But i do put some aside for a rainy day. And i didn't fancy going out cleaning in a storm.............So i'm behind.

Now contrast this with my mate, he's my best mate. He's the same as me, only difference is he has an employee (and obviously a lot more work!!) . He didn't want to go out either, but !!!! He has an employee, and his employee wants to go to work and have his wage at the end of the week. You know how many days he lost due to weather this winter ? Not more than two. Hard to believe eh ? When i spoke to him on the fone and i was at home due to the bad weather, he was in his van talking to me and his employee was out working because he wanted his wage. When he told his employee it was getting a bit bad, his employee said...........no its fine, i'm ok i'll keep going. And they did.

The moral of the story is that when you work for yourself like me, you can suit yourself. When you have an employee, you also have a certain responsability to them..i.e give them a full time job like they wanted. Ultimatlely i've had loads of time off in January, he's never missed a beat. Mainly down to the fact he has an employee...................go figure.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------