Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mark Betts

Re: Under pricing (again)
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2004, 03:44:17 pm »
Basicaslly at the end of the day, as long as you are happy with the living you are creating, what the heck doea it matter what others are charging or the profit they are making.

The pricing debate will go on forever and ever and to be honest gets a bit boring at times.

A cleaner local to me was quite pally with me at one time, even offering to help each other out etc etc until!!!!!

one day he found out that I just happened to charge a little LESS than him for cleaning certain items. Well i didnt hear the last of it and i havent heard of him since so basically he got the hump that i was cheaper.

I didnt go out to underprice him at all I just set my prices so i made a reasonable profit for MYSELF.

So at the end of the day charge what you are happy with yourselves. Dont worry about what anyone else is charging because to be honest most of em are lying anyway  ;) ;)

Mark

A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

squeaky

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2004, 07:59:15 pm »
Thanks for that Mark,I wish that I could have put it like that.

Mark
Part time (mornings) window cleaning/ suites and rugs in sunny Spain and loving it.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2004, 09:02:21 pm »
I've seen lots of formulas for working out how much a company should charge  but in the end the only true way to work out how much to charge a customer is to ask the maximum price you believe you can get away with.  

If you base your prices on the hourly rate you want to earn then what happens when you become more efficient & work quicker, you earn less money.

or if you base your prices on a calculation of bussiness & home expences, what happens when your morgage goes down or you finish a loan on that big flash truckmount, do you put your prices down?

this is why I think it is important to allow your self to be influenced by how much other companies charge because if they can get  a higher price for their cleaning then so can you!

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Dynafoam

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2004, 09:22:55 pm »
Mike,

That makes total sense !

Not the way I fix my prices but there are reasons for that.

If you dissagree with Mike on this one, switch on brain and re-read.

John.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2004, 11:37:07 pm »
The price you sell your cleaning services at is directly proportional to what YOU can sell them at, meaning if you are not a selling person and you may do a fantastic job but do not like selling your price will be lower as you don't like the confrontation of clients saying no to you, yes you have to pay the bills but which ever equassion you work on high price or low price it's down to the selling skills of the individual.

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2004, 12:26:38 am »
Come on guys wake up and smell the coffee!

At the end of the day we all need to put bread on the table, your price is your price, if a potential NEW customer questions your price that’s when (hopefully) your selling skills come in to place, repeat business is another thing customers know things go up!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2004, 05:44:50 pm »
;D
Selling Skills whats that .
As long as you look the part (and i look good i must say)
presentation both physically and verbally is a must.

And as long as you know you industry you should not have any probs..
Chers

Barry

squeaky

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2004, 07:37:01 pm »
Scots Cleaner ,

I agree as long as you have a proffessional appearance
and know what you are doing/talking about it goes a long way , I charge the prices I charge because I am happy to.

mark
Part time (mornings) window cleaning/ suites and rugs in sunny Spain and loving it.

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2004, 05:43:48 pm »
Just thought i post this as im a done in with this guy.

Suite & carpet      £40.00
Suite & 2 carpets  £50.00
FABRIC SUITE        £28
1 CARPET              £18.00
2  carpets             £30
H,S,L                     £20
leather suite         £45.00 Using chemspec leather cleaner

This guy is not new hes been on the go for about 5-6 years this is his prices just went up this year >:( >:( >:(

WHY WHY WHY

do these people kill it for the rest of us.....

These price have just been taken fron the local free paper he also advertises in another 2 papers

Upset..

Barry     >:( >:( >:(    

John_Flynn

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2004, 07:20:37 pm »
Barry

Do NOT let this guy get at you, I have a Splash and Dash guy advertiseing the same prices in my local papers, the type of customers that I get laugh at his prices and remark to me 'What on earth do they do for that price'.
I get better looking each day!!

SMP

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2004, 07:33:36 pm »
In fact Barry , he's doing you a favour!!  All those punters that want something for nothing are taking up his time, leaving you free to deal with clients that value your service.

Cheers

8)
Steve Poole

MICHAEL_GAYTON

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2004, 08:01:24 pm »
its like cars some buy fiats others buy jags
mick :)
ULTRA 4 CLUB
four systems one operator

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2004, 08:01:25 pm »
I would not mind so mutch but the carpet side is quite just now....

Barry :(

eclipse

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2004, 08:34:37 pm »
get this local company to me charges £1 per m2
and he runs a website at these prices does he get time to do the splash and dash ;D

Cloverleaf

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2004, 09:42:26 pm »
Lee,

You book the jobs and send him out at £2.50 a meter.

He works his but off while you get rich at home! ;D

John Milnes

eclipse

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2004, 11:16:58 pm »
good idea but it is my firm belieif that his standards are not as high as mine i work hard to get my customers and i want to keep them i will just wait for the phone to ring when he has screwed a job up and the customer wants the job putting right and proper :P

Cloverleaf

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2004, 12:06:06 am »
I agree Lea, I visit many customers who have had cleaning done before with very poor results, and dissapointed customers, in and out in one hour, and even costing more with truckmounts.

When I'v finished they are pleased if not amazed at the results. Its never been like that before etc, etc, they say.

For us lads who spend more time on getting the job right we
will not look back.

As far as prices go, I'v just increased reluctantly by 25%
to give it a try and see what the response was as I have been far underpricing.

The result! Three jobs quoted, everyone got ;D

John Milnes

woodman

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2004, 10:30:19 am »
Thats great news John,

Keep it up (and your prices ;D) I bet your wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

The message is getting across, customers will become accustomed to paying the correct price for the job.

MICHAEL_GAYTON

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2004, 10:51:26 am »
woodman on the nail
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
ULTRA 4 CLUB
four systems one operator

woodman

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2004, 11:47:18 am »
Hi Guys a little follow on from the above thread which might be of interest.

went out on Friday with a new carpet cleaner who asked if I could assist him with the thorny issue of pricing in the home.

3 piece suite and lounge carpet, his price at the moment
£95.00 for both a price he had arrived at after weighing up the opposition prices in the same area and wrongly thought he had better to tow the line and compete with them at the same level.

We carried out appraisal of work to be done went through the procedure with customer explaining the benefits of LM neutral cleaning to her suite and presented her with the 'Quote' , £230.00 which was accepted with no resistance.

He then did the next quote, through lounge £80.00 ,which he also got the nod for. £310.00 two jobs confirmed that he would have charged at £120.00

Of course you won't get them all but isn't it a nice feeling carrying out the job knowing that you can take your time and your time has been priced correctly.

After this little exercise I know which pricing structure this guy will operate from now on as feels more confident with his pricing. ;)