This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

www.mrgutters.co.uk

drought order ?
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:16:28 pm »
hi all

just saw that there is a drought order in place in surrey does this mean no window cleaning?

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Morph

Re: drought order ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 01:25:59 pm »
Essential business use only!
All non essential business use banned.  That means wfp, I should think.
You guys down there will know.
Sorry

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:30:36 pm »
Sorry

Secretary of State has recommended that WFP not banned as I understand it, but Sutton and East Surrey Water don't have to take any notice of him.
That's odd !!  When I last voted, I thought I elected politicians - not water company prima donnas.
(Actually, that's not quite true.  I voted against certain politicians rather than for them   :-)    )

macc

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 01:31:20 pm »
no, not yet, it gives them the right to ban none essential use at there discreation.

mind you i was very impressed with there record profit ::)

2 BILLION  :o

i wish i could put my prices up 20% per year, tell my customers they will get less for there money, (ie hose pipe ban etc).

macc

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 01:32:28 pm »
Sorry

Secretary of State has recommended that WFP not banned as I understand it, but Sutton and East Surrey Water don't have to take any notice of him.
That's odd !!  When I last voted, I thought I elected politicians - not water company prima donnas.
(Actually, that's not quite true.  I voted against certain politicians rather than for them   :-)    )

i agree with you on that one shinner

by the way - did you get that job?

DC

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 04:59:18 pm »
The company concerned is banning the use of water for "the cleaning of the exterior of buildings, other than windows" but also bans "the cleaning of windows by hosepipe, sprinkler or other similar apparatus which is connected directly to the mains supply;". See http://www.waterplc.com/WaterPlc/drought/droughtorder.html

Gordon

JM123

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 05:15:05 pm »
does that mean then that anyone found to be using wfp is exempt from the order as the pump etc is not directly in line with the mains supply, or does it just mean that you cant use your RO/DI?
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 05:17:11 pm »
Gordon's correct.

A quote from official drought order in the link says you can't use water for:

the cleaning of windows by hosepipe, sprinkler or other similar apparatus which is connected directly to the mains supply;

So since the majority of WFP systems aren't directly connected to the mains supply; it doesn't affect your work.

s.hughes

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 06:52:48 pm »
Does this mean then that we cant use the ro/di to get the water in the 1st place, coz however you look at it, it comes from the mains.

Steve

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 06:52:55 pm »
Sorry

i agree with you on that one shinner

by the way - did you get that job?

DC

Hi David.
I couldn't get hold of anyone on Saturday but I've arranged to have a look at and quote the job on Wednesday evening (before the Champions League final of course   :)  ).  Hopefully, the clean will take place shortly after that.  Thanks for putting me on to it.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 07:14:08 pm »
Does this mean then that we cant use the ro/di to get the water in the 1st place, coz however you look at it, it comes from the mains.

Steve

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  !!!    :)

Seriously, I don't think that is an issue.  I believe that it is viewed the same way as if you filled your bath with water (direct from the mains) and then watered your garden by dipping into it with a bucket.  Don't take my word for it though because there do seem to be contradictions in logic with this drought order stuff.

Simply Clean Windows

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 07:15:56 pm »
spoke to thames water the other evening,its sounds as so they will be applying for a drought order pretty soon,one way of getting around the ban is to get your water from an area not effected from the ban,so if the ban comes into thames water i might be asking for some names and addresses of u lot,just in case anyone asks where i got my water from. if u know what i mean
malc

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 07:24:11 pm »
Just looked on Severn Trents site which covers Derbyshire.

They expect a hosepipe ban at most 3 times in any 100 year period.

Water levels at 99%.

Sorry guys!

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 07:34:04 pm »
hi i live in severn trent water supply did you say that they have 99% water levels? does that mean a hose pipe ban is unlikely?? thanks callum

Just looked on Severn Trents site which covers Derbyshire.

They expect a hosepipe ban at most 3 times in any 100 year period.

Water levels at 99%.

Sorry guys!

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 07:36:54 pm »

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 07:59:15 pm »
that link doesn't work? ???

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 08:05:27 pm »
Try this, then search "hosepipe ban"

http://www.stwater.co.uk/

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 08:08:50 pm »
Try this, then search "hosepipe ban"

http://www.sthingyer.co.uk/

It keeps substituting thingy for whatever word you are typing   ;D

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 08:20:53 pm »
Gordon's correct.

A quote from official drought order in the link says you can't use water for:

the cleaning of windows by hosepipe, sprinkler or other similar apparatus which is connected directly to the mains supply;

So since the majority of WFP systems aren't directly connected to the mains supply; it doesn't affect your work.

If you use a WFP and while working your system isn't directly connected to a mains supply; it doesn't affect your work.

I think the wording is worded to prevent people from watering their lawns, and when caught, claim they were cleaning their windows.

I'm sure 'they' don't want to prevent you from making an honest living; they're only after stopping garden-proud home-owners from keeping their grass wet; and providing them with a 'get out of jail' excuse.

So, after reading the drought order; if your WFP system isn't DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE MAINS SUPPLY, then you can still work.

I'm no lawyer, but it seems simple enough to me.

Morph

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 08:28:53 pm »
Yes, I've read it all through, and listened to the news info.  You've got it right Tosh.
The Water companies are going to apply it.... with consideration.