This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Williams P

Starting out
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:26:25 pm »
Hi guys,

Just  joined the  forum, been reading with interest.
Anyway I'll cut to the chase, I have been pondering setting up a business power washing.
A few questions I'd like to ask you experienced guys.
Which machine would you recommend ? I'm considering diesel powered
Which FSC ?
What are your thoughts on the omni power pole 36ft

My budget for all of this is 20k and I'd need a van too

Thanks in advance for you input
Paul

Rob@Blast off

Re: Starting out
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:03:06 am »
You would be mad to spent 20k on gear before even  knowing if you can find regular work,
But if i had that sort of money to spend it would either be a used falch trail jet or custom build.

Williams P

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:08:56 am »
Thanks for that Rob

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 11:07:18 am »
Agree with rob - at this stage you'd be throwing that cash away.

What do you want an omni power pole for ?

In truth it's very difficault to advise you properly without knowing your full circumstances and work history, what has worked for some does not for others.

Generally speaking only buy the nessesities and good quality kit, what kit depends on your target market, if it's mainly residential drives and patios then a Honda gx390 size machine will be more than what you need FSC - for me are a total waste of time ( others love them )

Your best et is to research this site, many of the better posters no longer come on here so look at past threads, Google pressure washing, some good helpful site that are not pushing you to buy products, then canvass your local area to see what business is available - get leaflets delivered and maybe just hire a pw for the first few jobs

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Williams P

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 01:27:12 pm »
Cheers Smudge,

I come from a telecoms engineering background..

I don't anticipate things would happen over night, that said I do believe overtime things would be OK.

Reason me wanting the Omni pole is to clean fascia sand soffits..
In general I'd be looking to do domestic and commercial, key for me is research and marketing.. I intend to walk before I run.

Thanks for your advice.. Taken on board

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:01:55 pm »
Pressure washing work is very hard to come by, my website produces next to nothing despite being on the first page of google for the last 2 years, i would seriously reasearch the market before jumping in. My personal opinion is go into window cleaning or carpet cleaning instead theres a much greater demand

but good luck

Paul Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:30:23 pm »
I thought I would do mega when i started out - how wrong can you be. I started off and still have a used diesel machine that I bought of ebay and a used FSC. Took me 6 months to get my money back and I did not spend much.  Did a fair bit of leafleting for absolutely zilch. 

Go gardening is my advice - I just cant believe the amount of work out there. Even NOW :)

Williams P

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:51:18 pm »
Thanks guys, appreciate your advice from your own experiences.

Someone must have success stories.

rah

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 05:29:18 am »
I have the Omnipower pole thing! I've never used it, tried once and the thing was a nightmare, It's gathering dust in the shed.
Life used to be full of up's and downs....now i hardly ever get up a ladder :) .

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 06:57:59 am »
That's why I mentioned the pole - very overpriced as well if I remember, if you must have a telescopic lance get a second hand one off eBay - but generally they are pretty carp.

Success can be a dirty word on here, but I moved into pressure washing around 2 years ago and now accounts for 30% of business turnover - we do lots of roof cleaning which are nice and this coming year we are approved cleaners for several holiday parks approx 1400 caravans so will be busy.

I started as a humble shiner and used my existing customer base to promote the pressure washing

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 12:22:46 pm »
Omnipoles are too much like hard work,I have an SLX 22 with 3 extra extensions,think that makes it an SLX 36 or 37. It's got a 1/4 high pressure hose running up the middle and clamped tight at the top with an M22 female that takes a gutter lance or a swivel with a quick release adjustable to any angle ,I can fit a jet or turbo nozzle.Custom built by Damien at Q Washers. Speak to Mike Halliday he has an excellent marketing strategy that he believes can be implemented anywhere he might choose to move. Get the biggest van you can!

Rob@Blast off

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 11:27:45 pm »
+1 on the biggest van you can,
Three years ago i was a weekend warrior working from the back of my car, then went full time using a berlingo, then a vivario and now a lwb hi top transit and after a trailer at the moment.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 10:28:55 am »
Drudge I  asked you not to spill the beans on my marketing method!!  But now you've mentioned it.....

Drive across to Calais and find 5 healthy men  smuggle them back and offer them room and board ( in your shed and give them a loaf of bread a day) for working 10hrs a day,   get them putting out leaflets :D

The only hard thing is stopping the  basturds doing a runner the first day..... the ungrateful gits >:(

If you live to far away from Dover then just get them off street corners in your local ghetto
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 04:47:01 pm »
Drudge I  asked you not to spill the beans on my marketing method!!  But now you've mentioned it.....

Drive across to Calais and find 5 healthy men  smuggle them back and offer them room and board ( in your shed and give them a loaf of bread a day) for working 10hrs a day,   get them putting out leaflets :D

The only hard thing is stopping the  basturds doing a runner the first day..... the ungrateful gits >:(

If you live to far away from Dover then just get them off street corners in your local ghetto

Mike surely you dont have to travel all the way to calais, youre only a short trip from bransholme arent you..

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 09:02:17 am »

Sorry it was the bread loaves I couldn't,t remember,in fact nor anything else !,your methods remain a guarded secret.

BDCS

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 12:44:33 am »

I'm in Dover - don't smile at the Romanians cos they'll steal your fillings - anyone else will do and you can smell the stale body odour and bonfires from miles away so they are easy to find. Look for new trainers, latest phone and wallet bulging with dole money