This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Small but perfectley formed

Who works on their own
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:09:59 am »
I have always worked with my brother but after 25 yrs working together have decided to part company.
How do you find working alone ?

Spit and polish

Smurf

Re: Who works on their own
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 11:21:30 am »
Bit like working with others that don't say much really  ;D

You know what has to be done so just get on with it and don't waste any time chatting amongst yourselves either…

Time is money and all that whilst on the tools.

Mike #1

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:51:35 am »
It will be 16 years next March that i have worked solely on my own , I have never wanted and never will want anyone working with me .

I like my own company and customers like the fact that it is just me turning up at their homes along with the fact that my wife is like a jack in the box a chatty live wire i enjoy the quiet and i am in total control and can just crack on and do my own thing .

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 12:43:25 pm »
It will be 16 years next March that i have worked solely on my own , I have never wanted and never will want anyone working with me .

I like my own company and customers like the fact that it is just me turning up at their homes along with the fact that my wife is like a jack in the box a chatty live wire i enjoy the quiet and i am in total control and can just crack on and do my own thing .

+1 we all like the peace and quiet for sure as my missus drives me nuts too ;D

How the hell can some work with their partners on the tools beats me as I can't wait to get out the house on my own ???

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 12:44:52 pm »
Love working on my own, no one to annoy you for being slow/ being on Facebook/ fAg breaks / talking too much.
Like smurf said time is money so you just get on with it, but then again it depends what kind of person you are, you might like other people's company and enjoy being with someone farting and burping next to you in the van  ;D
I've always been the type that doesn't like being let down / relying on anyone so I can pay my bills. You'll be ok, just Gotta crack on and think about the money 🤑🤑🤑

paulben

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 12:56:11 pm »
Started off on my own then had son with me back on my own now much better pack up when I want day off when I want the money is all mine and tax mans (thieving git )
Do not steal the government hates competition

SeanK

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 01:13:16 pm »
I found it hard to come to terms with working on my own if honest I still do, nothing like a bit of banter and the odd
laugh to get the working day in.
I was always used to working along with others so I suppose it all depends on what you are use to, I have thought about
taking on a partner as I'm at the stage in life where I have no interest in employing.

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 01:25:09 pm »
Far less stress & hassle for sure than having employees/subby's and all the crap that goes with it.

EandM

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 01:33:45 pm »
A good Bluetooth headset and something funny to listen to - very productive.

johnny bravo

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 02:39:38 pm »
only you are to blame if any problems or complaints,        you could blame your worker if you have one though.
i like to smell my own farts.       i wouldnt like to be smelling anyone elses in van.

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 02:55:52 pm »
i like to smell my own farts.       i wouldnt like to be smelling anyone elses in van.

;D ;D ;D

I know of a guy that runs a trad crew but they look more look like scallywags than window cleaners and f and blind at each other all day long.  I also dread to think of what their transport smells like though all cramped up in a comfined space  ::)roll

Johnny B

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 03:46:00 pm »
Most of the time I work alone when I am local to home. I have some good solid work out of town as well, with which my 18 year old daughter helps me. She is very quiet, and a good, conscientious worker. My customers like her, and we work well together.

I am happy with both scenarios. I have had other help in the past, and wouldn't have anyone working with me who doesn't share my work ethics.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Tom White

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »
I've worked with Wor Lass for about 12 years now.

Can you imagine? :'( :'( :'( :'(

duncan h

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 10:22:25 pm »
I take my 2 dogs with me if I want decent company. Better than the wife :)

8weekly

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 10:30:02 pm »
I've worked with Wor Lass for about 12 years now.

Can you imagine? :'( :'( :'( :'(
That's just about a life sentence.

Actually, I think it's great. There's a guy in Newbury that works with his wife. Mine worked with me cleaning windows for one day and it was ok.  Now she leaflets 2 hours every day and does all the admin, payroll and other finance bits. Fadmin she calls it. I like the fact that it's a genuine family business.

johnny bravo

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 10:34:40 pm »
that sounds great,   stick a matress in the back and TIFFIN time every day ;D ;D ;D

paulben

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:01 am »
Imagine the hassle on a summers day your up the ladder look down and some tasty bird goes by with a low cut top how much ear ache you going to get

Tom White

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 08:05:11 am »
Imagine the hassle on a summers day your up the ladder look down and some tasty bird goes by with a low cut top how much ear ache you going to get

When you're out with your Missis and you see some lass in a short skirt/tight top, you say in a kind of disparaging tone, "Look at the ruddy state of that!"

You then have a license to have a good old fashioned letch at her.

The stuff you never learnt at school eh?

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:49 am »
ive been in this game a long time.i used to enjoy having someone else with me working sometimes but financially it wasnt the best decision as i used to earn less money than if i was working on my own esp if it was a mate as we d nip to the pub for lunch often(2 hour lunch break sometimes!)start late due to heavy drinking the night before and knock off early so we could get ready for ANOTHER night out. ;D

also we d end up laughing so much i couldnt climb the ladder for a few mins at times. ;D

i also had some guys(not mates i might add!) going round my customers saying id sold the round to them,stealing money off me,swearing in front of customers,leaving gates open,standing on plants etc,smoking on customers property(sometimes not just cigarettes either!)etc,etc.

ive worked on my own for over 10 years now and love it.i never miss the old days either.im very organised and professional now and earn a lot more money.i dont mess about or waste time while working anymore.im there to earn a living for me and my family.

i dont have a problem with motivation either.i find a bit of solitude peaceful as well.i have some good customers so i get a few brews most days and time for a 5 min chat and a laugh here and there.
price higher/work harder!

paulben

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 06:48:03 am »
Downside not to having son with me when you get lonely old people who want to chat all day then son used to go to van then ring my phone I would answer and say be there in 5 mins then got excuse to get away