This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

robbo333

Re: Copycat's
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2015, 05:38:08 pm »
I fancied setting up a female only window cleaning company and calling it 'Scrubbers'!
Let's see who will copy that... ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

CleanClear

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2015, 06:02:49 pm »
Clean and Clear is a trademark registered to Johnson and Johnson, there's also a Clean and Clear Ltd . window cleaning, think he's in Norfolk. I'm clean and clear and my mate is. I had someone called clean 'n' clear ask me to stop using the name. If i get calls asking for Gary (my mate) as they've been recommended (he's the other clean and clear) then if its a small house i pass it on to him. If its a big job i don't, i just go quote and do it !!!   ;D ;D  Plenty of copycats out there  ;D ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Smurf

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2015, 06:20:01 pm »
Best branding I've seen to date is this firm http://meninkilts.com/

the story how it came about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hey6Kxfrlw8

Mike #1

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2015, 06:56:03 pm »
Best branding I've seen to date is this firm http://meninkilts.com/

the story how it came about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hey6Kxfrlw8

Now that is setting yourself apart from the competition .

Smurf

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2015, 01:56:24 pm »
I wonder if men in kilts will get copied some way or another as to be honest It's a brilliant bit of marketing. No Peeking ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2015, 06:00:31 pm »
I had the same problem so Trademarked my company name

Easy enough.  Costs about £150 and you register the design with the Intellectual Property Office.  You get the same protection as Tesco's etc.

Smurf

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2015, 06:04:13 pm »
Sorry but why tm that ???

Spruce

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2015, 06:22:20 pm »
Sorry but why tm that ???

Ian got there first.

Now nobody can use Ian's name, even if they are also named Ian Lancaster.

Ionics have registered the Wash & Reach logo, so the only ones who are allowed to use it are those who have bought an Ionics system.

Mike from M & M was complaining that someone in his area was piggy backing off his name and reputation. Anybody in Spennymoor or the surrounding area can use M & M Window Cleaning (eg Mark & Michelle) but if he registers the name then they can't use that Logo. The will have to give their business another name.
If my memory serves me, Ian can also include in his registration the font, font size and colour of his lettering.

Every Bosch dealer had to have the Bosch Name and Bosch logo (anchor the German's call it) to an exact size. If it's smaller it has to be in the exact proportions/perspective.

Have you noted how the Coca Cola emblem and signage is exactly the same world wide? Have you also noticed that a store in the middle of drought stricken Africa has the same sign which probably cost more than the store building did? Its all about branding and brand awareness. So its protected at all costs.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smurf

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2015, 11:54:09 pm »
So what happens then if someone should want to tm say Ian Lancaster Window Cleaning (not cleaner)?

Spruce

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2015, 10:49:42 am »
So what happens then if someone should want to tm say Ian Lancaster Window Cleaning (not cleaner)?

That's an interesting question. I thought that the idea of registering your name was to protect it from being copied.

I did a search of the Intellectual Property Office and Ian Lancaster Window cleaning is free (open - has no trademark secured on it). So I guess as colours and logo style/font are part of the TM they are covered as well. Someone trying to copy Ian's logo to piggy back of his reputation and business success would need to duplicate the look of that image. So this is where Ian would have a case in a dispute.

If this cleaner used his logo in another part of the country without broadcasting it, then he may get away with it for a while. However, as Ian is pretty well known country wide on this forum, it would soon be reported that someone saw one of Ian's vans up north etc etc.

Wasn't there a new cleaner on here a few years ago who copied another cleaners van signwriting, posted photos of it on here, and then had to remove them and redo it as he copying a registered tm. I remember him apologising on the forum and changing it.

I see Ionics have registered the Reach & Wash logo under a few 'classes'. If you do a search for Wash and Reach, Wash & Reach is listed. Does this mean that Wash and Reach is also covered by Ionics? (One of the classes is the advertising sector, pamphlets etc.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2015, 12:27:45 pm »

That's an interesting question. I thought that the idea of registering your name was to protect it from being copied.

I did a search of the Intellectual Property Office and Ian Lancaster Window cleaning is free (open - has no trademark secured on it). So I guess as colours and logo style/font are part of the TM they are covered as well. Someone trying to copy Ian's logo to piggy back of his reputation and business success would need to duplicate the look of that image. So this is where Ian would have a case in a dispute.

If this cleaner used his logo in another part of the country without broadcasting it, then he may get away with it for a while. However, as Ian is pretty well known country wide on this forum, it would soon be reported that someone saw one of Ian's vans up north etc etc.

Wasn't there a new cleaner on here a few years ago who copied another cleaners van signwriting, posted photos of it on here, and then had to remove them and redo it as he copying a registered tm. I remember him apologising on the forum and changing it.

I see Ionics have registered the Reach & Wash logo under a few 'classes'. If you do a search for Wash and Reach, Wash & Reach is listed. Does this mean that Wash and Reach is also covered by Ionics? (One of the classes is the advertising sector, pamphlets etc.

even when you have your logo tmed , it still costs well over 10/20k to take them to court to do something about it  and around three years in time  that's  with out appeals and the like  , most people cant afford to do it so your kind of free to do what you like as long as you don't own anything , mean northing to sell for the court when they sell send in the bailifts so these scum bags still win 

STEVE-UK

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »
Trademarking stops another company from using your name, If it went to court and you lost, you would have to change sign writing on vans, adverts, workwear etc

Better to be safe than sorry!