This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike #1

Copycat's
« on: October 29, 2015, 07:36:30 am »
So recently another windy who i know has recently had van signs done using the same colours as i use in my logo ,and he has also had a work hoodie done in a very similar colour as my fleece tops .

Anyone else got a copycat local to them and what's you're thoughts on this .

Dave Willis

Re: Copycat's
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:41:16 am »
I'd be flattered. Someone has copied my logo and style I noticed the other day. Had someone build a website in my company name and put thier contact details on it. I don't wear a uniform as such, so no problem there.

Mike #1

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:52:44 am »
Dave I have spent over 4 yrs creating an identity as such with websites logo clothing etc .

I don't want potential custys assuming we're in anyway connected I present a totally different overall image of myself and business and I can't speak for his workmanship .

Mike #1

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:59:15 am »
When he happened to be working in the same street as me last week I even had a custy asking if I had someone working with me .

I have always passed work his way well over a £100 but last week were I clean every house in a block of big terraces he pulled up to do one house front .

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:04:25 am »
Dave I have spent over 4 yrs creating an identity as such with websites logo clothing etc .

I don't want potential custys assuming we're in anyway connected I present a totally different overall image of myself and business and I can't speak for his workmanship .

id change your image to say a "drag queen".stockings,suspenders,plenty of make up,hair extensions,get your van sprayed pink and purple,matching business cards etc.

you ll "stand out" from the crowd then.

if you need any help to change your image my girlfriends son has all the gear! ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 08:16:05 am »
on a serious note what can you do?

are you called M&M window cleaning?well surely you ve heard of the sweets with the same name?

i use my own name for branding like ian lancaster does.that way nobody is going to put my name on their van/stationary.

lots of vans will use the same colours(usually blue and black)for signwriting/workwear etc.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 08:19:09 am »
Local competitor copied my complete website. Word for word including a spelling mistake.

Didn't say anything. Google penalized him and i no longer pass work his way.

The day when my competitors stop copying me, means i am doing something wrong i guess.  A local lad copied my complete leaflet design and then had the cheek to ask where i got it printed a few weeks later. In his own words "it's just business mate" He is currently off work due to a "karma" injury lol 

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 08:30:59 am »
theres competition everywhere mate.

is his logo and branding "exactly" the same as yours?no?then theres nothing you can do.

stop passing work onto him unless he s a real friend.let him find his own work.ive built my business all up from scratch with no help from anyone.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 08:36:12 am »
Local competitor copied my complete website. Word for word including a spelling mistake.

The day when my competitors stop copying me, means i am doing something wrong i guess.  A local lad copied my complete leaflet design and then had the cheek to ask where i got it printed a few weeks later. In his own words "it's just business mate" He is currently off work due to a "karma" injury lol

did you kneecap him?lol ;D

STEVE-UK

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 09:52:16 am »
I had the same problem so Trademarked my company name

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 09:52:34 am »
 At least the chap is not using the same trading name to you which can happen unless you’re a ltd company.

Annoying as it may seem you see plenty of vans about with similar colours used in sign writing, chaps also wearing similar colour branded work ware etc but they are obviously a totally different firms to others. The different name they call themselves and contact details are a big giveaway really unless custys are that daft they don't know the name of the firm they are dealing with.

You many think you are trying to be unique but on the other hand there are only so many colours that can be used to look the part as different shades of blue happen to be very popular in this game. That chap after seeing yours obviously thought that looks good I will do something similar which annoyingly there is nothing you can do.

Mike #1

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 10:33:57 am »
He phoned me today after a light hearted post on my personal Facebook page about been different .

He said he was going to get a truck like mine but I think he was just saying it to gauge my reaction .

So I told him Fecking hell i am not been funny but you will be like my twin you're copying me I have spent 4-5 yrs building up my image and brand across websites clothing etc .

This is a lad I class as a friend we have worked a few  guttering jobs together and have got on well over the years so of course I am going to be a bit peeved .

Mike #1

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 05:06:29 pm »

id change your image to say a "drag queen".stockings,suspenders,plenty of make up,hair extensions,get your van sprayed pink and purple,matching business cards etc.

you ll "stand out" from the crowd then.

if you need any help to change your image my girlfriends son has all the gear! ;D ;D

Cheers daz bit cold now to be  walking around in just stockings  if it was the summer i might consider it  :-* ;D

Mike #1

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 05:09:41 pm »

Local lad/competitor  that is what has peeved me had it been someone miles away i would not have cared or even known for that matter . Damo clearly its a case of live and learn

Smurf

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 05:11:31 pm »
Sorry I still don't get why you feel he has copied you  ???

Mike #1

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:16:17 pm »
At least the chap is not using the same trading name to you which can happen unless you’re a ltd company.

Annoying as it may seem you see plenty of vans about with similar colours used in sign writing, chaps also wearing similar colour branded work ware etc but they are obviously a totally different firms to others. The different name they call themselves and contact details are a big giveaway really unless custys are that daft they don't know the name of the firm they are dealing with.

You many think you are trying to be unique but on the other hand there are only so many colours that can be used to look the part as different shades of blue happen to be very popular in this game. That chap after seeing yours obviously thought that looks good I will do something similar which annoyingly there is nothing you can do.

I have been the only local window cleaner to cover my local area who has worn a uniform/branded work wear for over 10 years until the copycat i was still the only cleaner with a visible professional presence with uniform etc  , So their was plenty of colours left in the rainbow to choose from other than Royal Blue .

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 05:41:56 pm »

did you kneecap him?lol ;D

He tripped over in the dark doing leaflets drops of my copied design and busted his knee. He rang me up asking if i could cover his work!!!!!!!

Mike #1

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 06:14:48 pm »
Damo Karma is a bitch  ;D , The cheek of it asking you to cover his work  :o :o

Johnny B

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 06:17:15 pm »
I am not sure how I would feel if someone tried to copy me. They would have to be mad for a start!

The only thing I would be a little concerned about though would be if they approached my customers to say they worked for/with me, or worse, to say I had passed my work on to them. This has happened to me in the past. Fortunately all my customers knew me well enough to know I would tell them beforehand if I were to sell up or move on, so I didn't lose any.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »
Johnny that could be an issue at worst , I have worked really hard to ensure i stand out amongst all the other cleaners in the  medium size town i mainly cover and i have done this in various ways over the years so for an apparent friend to wear a top of the same colour as me is just taking the  pee  to a point .

So i have done a few posts on my  Facebook business page to let potential new customers know who the face of my business is and state that i only have the one vehicle . Its pushed me into doing a little advertising/awareness of my business plus a  leaflet drop in the pouring rain this morning  and another one tomorrow .