Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stoots

nooby -Microsplitters or detergents?
« on: September 19, 2015, 05:58:48 pm »
Yes im a noob, just been on a course and was recommended to use microsplitters as prespray with an acid rinse in the tank.
But read a lot on here using detergents in the tank which i was led to believe is not the best way
and to rinse with clean water alone if possible

so whats best? or is it a case of both work

looking at buying some chems and just want to get a good general range that i can use safely as im a bit concerned now about shrinkage or browning occuring

Simon Gerrard

Re: nooby -Microsplitters or detergents?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 06:33:32 pm »
Use a good prespray appropriate to the soil conditions and acid rinse in your tank. It's not about detergents in your tank, which I frown upon, personally, it's more about ph and an acid rinse is the best of all options if you want to be on the safe side.

Simon

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 06:58:13 pm »
Thats pretty much what i was told to try to neutrilise the ph with an acid rinse and do most of the work with the pre spray/agitation
but have read a lot of info to the contrary

i think i will go this route just for peace of mind

also is the acid rinse good as a spotter for water based stains?
i need a few basic spotting chems also but the range is vast

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 07:12:16 pm »
If you use an acid rinse then you can use any prespray regardless of ph.
A prespray should not do some, but all of the work, so Powerburst, Shockwave,  Pure Clean, Restore, SPM
Just get yourself a range of spotters and see which ones you like.
Citrus Gel, solvall, solvex,  browning prescription, chemspec browning / coffee stain remover,  Extreme tea & coffee, gum-it-off etc.

Simon

Raymondo

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 07:48:17 pm »
Simon has it spot on.

We have always used an acid rinse even if using a micro-splitter.

There are some products that are used as rinses but are too high ph in my opinion to be used all the time.

As long as you uses a good company for your cleaning products you wont go to far wrong (alltec prochem chemspec or solutions).

Shrinkage or browning is not about the products you use but the way they are used.

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 08:11:13 pm »
thanks guys, just want to do whats safest really.

im just going to order the solutions sample pack
http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/solution-special-sample-pack.html

and an acid rinse of course

Raymondo

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 08:16:32 pm »
You wont go too far wrong with the sample pack some good products.

Robin Ray

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 08:23:02 pm »
I have tried nearly everything going,....detergents,microsplitters in tank detergents, acid rinse, water only. I still keep coming back to the same products time and time again.

Pureclean (sometimes boosted with something oxy or some solvent booster.) I use this on 90% of my work.
And Powerburst for mingers.

I rinse both with an acid rinse like final faze (which is simply an acid) Prochems fib and fab is also a detergent and also less economical.

I use other products but they are usually problem solvers.

Give it all ago and you will find the right products for you and your main types of work, whatever that turns out to be. Detergents are not the enemy but are better used as a prespray as they get a longer contact time so can do their work.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 08:26:24 pm »
thanks guys, just want to do whats safest really.

im just going to order the solutions sample pack
http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/solution-special-sample-pack.html

and an acid rinse of course

Final Phase, is an acid rinse included in the pack, its dilution rates are excellent, making it very economical. Also,keeps your pump, hoses and jets nice and clean ;)
If you want what I call, 'the smell factor,' get some  Clean Cotton deodoriser from John Kelly. Adding a nice smell to your cleaning adds an extra sense of things being nice and clean.
http://www.restormate.co.uk/epages/15094.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=7983250
Simon

john martin

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 08:48:25 pm »
what course were you on that recommended ' microsplitter '   ...   let me guess  :-X

Microsplitter is a nonsence made up word  ( im sick of saying that )
Its cleaning with a single detergent ingredient as oppose to cleaning with a mix of detergent ingredients .

If they are recommending its use its because its so basic , its cheap to produce hence there is more profit for them in selling it to you .

If i was to recommend an allround starter product it would be Alltec citrus prespray and Alltec ultimate master powder in tank as ' rince '
Not because i favour Alltec and there are similar products from restormate and others  ...  but because they are idiot proof and u can do no damage while obtaining a top result .
The ultimate master will give great results in all situations  ...  and the citrus prespray can be used on upholstery , traffic lanes or as a spotter ., and it smells good to the customer and will only do u good if you lick it .

Pick up some low odour white spirit to remove , ' little black spots ' or makeup or most things .
Those three products will cover every situation u will come accross for now .

After that you can learn and experiment with advanced stain removing products and problem solvers .

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 09:17:24 pm »
Cheers John, already ordered the sample pack above but i get what you are saying keep it simple and yes i suppose a lot of it is marketting like most things so need to read between the lines.

Robin Ray

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 10:24:02 pm »
Altec do a FREE sample pack. Might be worth getting hold of too. I did and like some of their products. Ultimate master is good, but tend to use it as a prespray. I still keep coming back to my old favorites though.

sean oregan

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 11:21:17 pm »
This is why I like this site!!!
People can say what they like without having to arse lick 1 certain supplier.
If you like cleans mart,  alltec , chemspec, prochem , restore mate solutions you can say it without moderators telling you "this is not a platform for other suppliers"

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 12:20:18 am »
Yes im a noob, just been on a course and was recommended to use microsplitters as prespray with an acid rinse in the tank.
But read a lot on here using detergents in the tank which i was led to believe is not the best way
and to rinse with clean water alone if possible

so whats best? or is it a case of both work

looking at buying some chems and just want to get a good general range that i can use safely as im a bit concerned now about shrinkage or browning occuring
Hi Adam, you should also check out colloidal chemistry a real alternative to toxic chemical cleaners, also known as micelles based cleaners that will reduce the surface tension of water 50 to 100% more than most typical carpet cleaning detergents can, reduced surface tension leads to  faster cleaning. micelles break the bonds that hold dirt and oils to a surface and actually denatures organic materials, one of the reasons they are the cleaner of choice for many professional carpet and upholstery cleaners who must deal with odour causing organics such as urine and others. to make an informed decision its worth taking the time to google colloidal chemistry or micelles based carpet cleaners, you will find reputable suppliers in the UK who can offer you further information on these safe and effective solutions for cleaning carpet,upholstery, and leather.

john martin

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 01:06:41 am »
Tadgh , a micelle is a colloidial aggregate formed by any detergent associated surfactant at its particular CMC value .
How is the plant derived detergent you push different in behavour . 

From my own looking around you are probably refering to palm oil derived Microemulsion  ?
If so , just call it Microemulsion .

Calling it colloidial  ... or Micelle  is meaning less and could be refering to any detergent  imo .

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 02:53:34 am »
Tadgh , a micelle is a colloidial aggregate formed by any detergent associated surfactant at its particular CMC value .
How is the plant derived detergent you push different in behavour . 

From my own looking around you are probably refering to palm oil derived Microemulsion  ?
If so , just call it Microemulsion .

Calling it colloidial  ... or Micelle  is meaning less and could be refering to any detergent  imo .
  Hi John, you refer to i push which makes me smile really  as i have put forward to Adam another option which is worth checking out thats all, to be honest  and you can trust me on this it pays to be open minded and receptive to newer technologies entering into our industry, i could share plenty of other safe and effective technologies which are available but unfortunately not in the UK yet, but its only a matter of time and when you will hear about them John keep an open mind and try them out for yourself you might be pleasantly surprised.

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 07:12:29 am »
Thanks I will have a look.

Colloidial was mentioned to us on the course but was said to have a longer dwell time of 30 mins required hence why it was dismissed but apparently  are really good.

I might have a look sometime in the future  but for now have enough to be going on with
Thanks

SteveAllan

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 07:52:37 am »
Alright Adam
The sample pack you have ordered will have some in it, M Power. Give it a whirl.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 08:13:33 am »
You need to get out with a carpet cleaner and see chemicals usage in the real world, spend  a day with good carpet cleaner chatting away as you clean will give you more knowledge than any course or asking a 100 questions here.

What about high Ph  prespraying  removing protector? And thinking that you can use any pre-spray as long as you rinse it off with a  acid is assuming  High Ph does not damage fibres in the short amount of time it is on the carpets,  which we don't know as we can only visually inspect the carpet.

Plus what if we don't rinse it all out..... what if we leave the prespray behind.?

The biggest mistake I see with beginners (based on the helpers I have had) is  cleaning a carpet but missing bits, they forget  where they have cleaned and do areas twice or miss bits. They will leave areas of carpet with prespray not rinsed off.

I use pure clean 90% of the time and rinse off with a weaker solution of F90.

I could type all day, this is why it's best to talk to a carpet cleaner, what about  over wetting the carpet because you have not removed all the dirt...... so need to re-apply the prespray then rinse again? would a detergent have help remove the dirt so a second application of pre-spray then rinse wasn't necessarily ?

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 11:02:51 am »
Thanks I will have a look.

Colloidial was mentioned to us on the course but was said to have a longer dwell time of 30 mins required hence why it was dismissed but apparently  are really good.

I might have a look sometime in the future  but for now have enough to be going on with
Thanks
  Hi Adam, who ever told you about needing 30 mins dwell time does not understand colloidal chemistry, to make an informed decision and find out all the facts you probably need to look into it in more detail for yourself, i would also take Mikes advice and try and get yourself out with a professional carpet cleaner.