Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

scott johns

prowler
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:22:40 pm »
has any one anything to say about prowler machines good or bad

John Kelly

Re: prowler
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:32:34 am »
Brilliant machines. A truckmount with wheels on but not something to be wheeling on and off the van daily. Very powerfull vacuum as it has no waste tank to evacuate.
Heat exchangers will leak after some time usually get 2 - 3 years out of them, however some are 6-7 years with same one. Jamie Pearson is dealing with repairs and spares on these at the moment.

Robin Ray

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:00:01 pm »
I know it works differently but is the prowler a viable alternative to a small TM?
Can you dump the waste in a tank if need be? Does the wand bypass waste much water? Can a pump bypass be fitted which automatically sends water back to the fresh water tank like on a pressure washer or is overheating the heat exchanger then a problem?

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:22:37 pm »
The prowler is a small TM and doesn't waste much as only open bypass to get heat there then it's closed again  there is a bypass valve on prowler which i have put hose on direct back into water tank don't need a pump.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

tim handley

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:45:53 pm »
look on you tube, a very telling vid about the prowler.......

tim handley

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:32 pm »
anybody using one?? is it good? what is the reliability like, it gets a bit of a slating in the yt vid.............
if its a smaller truckmount, enabling use in a smaller van, but without any reliabilty issues it may
be my next step up.................

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:57:09 pm »
I have one Tim it's a great machine runs great as with any machine things will go and need replacing i just replaced a rubber coupling on mine as it split but i managed to fit myself in an hour and also the engine is a honda gx390 parts readily available and great workhorses.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Glynn

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06:08 pm »
When I was thinking of buying a Truckmount,15 or so years ago I had actually ordered a Prochem Blazer and got as far as the pro forma invoice when Simon Gerrard called me and explained the pro's & con's of smaller Truckmounts.
Actually he was trying to sell me a large Bruin 2,  he explained the limits of smaller machines and that I would grow out of it.
I bought his machine, fitted it and started using it.
I was blown away by its performance compared to way over 20 years of using electric machines - until -
the first Sunny Day Out when John Gott's brought up Hydramasters latest big machine, a Maxx470D.
The Maxx blew the Bruin 2 away in terms of power, vacuum, phenomenal heat etc.
I just had to have one, so I did.
Since then I have bought no less than 5 brand new Truckmounts and I can say with absolute certainty that they are all worth every single penny.

imo the Prowler is a good step up from an electric machine but in no way is it in the league of the large Truckmounts, if it was I would have bought them, therefore saving myself about £100K.

Think carefully about where you want to be in your business, both right now and in a few years and spend accordingly.
Regards
Glynn

tim handley

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 07:21:38 pm »
nice post mate......... i f i want to be busier, faster, and get a better clean, without major maintanence isues, is the prowler the way forward for me........ i know you coan spend £30000 on a truckmount, but i cant!!!!!!

Glynn

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 07:23:15 pm »
Personally I would rather buy a second hand truckmount for similar money.
Just be very careful about which type you buy.
Any info req I'm here.
Regards
Glynn

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:48 pm »
A true story there from Glynn and with it good advice.
Lots of people say they can't afford a tm, I'd argue in most cases you can't afford not to have one.
But as Glynn said,  if you are thinking of getting one, you need  to take into account that it will double your productivity and give you the ability to do much bigger jobs, much faster and to a higher quality. So think not just about what fits your business today but what you might need for the next five years.
Glynn told  that he never made any money until he bought that first tm from me, now he prints the stuff - literally!

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 07:56:36 pm »
I bought a Maxx450D with 1,500 hours on it (which is nothing) for less than 5k as a back up machine. But it now does all of our domestic jobs  and so some very big jobs and  runs on 2.1 litres of red diesel an hour and has now paid for its self many times over.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 08:12:31 pm »
nice post mate......... i f i want to be busier, faster, and get a better clean, without major maintanence isues, is the prowler the way forward for me........ i know you coan spend £30000 on a truckmount, but i cant!!!!!!

Tim,
There are no significant maintenance issues, they are something that gets plucked out of the air by people who have no experience of them.
Prowlers are very basic and old technology and the ones that are about could be quite old, so be careful.
A Prowler is ok but will struggle on bigger jobs.
My advice would be to wait and shop around and buy slightly beyond your means because when you get one you will find out for real what an asset they are and perhaps wish you'd bought a bigger one to do even bigger jobs for much more money. So think about what kind of business you want to have in five years and what type of jobs you want to do and buy according to those plans, because the right machine is what will propel you forward to meeting those plans.

Simon

Brendan (chem2clean)

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
Simon,i have a prochem blazer,great little machine.I have never used one of the big tm,would ibe blown away by the difference,if so how....thanks...

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 09:37:29 pm »
That guy on the video is a complete tit. He bought one of the first ones designed with a fixed chain coupling and it failed. Ben asked him to get it prepared and he would have it picked up as he wanted too find out exactly how it failed and obviously get it sorted and back to the customer as soon as possible. He refused and set anout fixing it himself. Became upset and spat his dummy out when Ben then cancelled the warranty. Actually probably did spit his dummy out as he turned up with his mother to buy the machine. Turns out these coupling were no good and switched over to flexi's.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 07:52:30 am »
Simon,i have a prochem blazer,great little machine.I have never used one of the big tm,would ibe blown away by the difference,if so how....thanks...
Brendan,
I'm not sure blown away is the word. The Blazer is a great machine, I had a Cub XL for a while. That size of machine are for a single wand, the bigger ones, that have  bigger engines and blowers and thereby produce more heat are dual capable machines so there is a lot more performance and added range, but using one of these with a single wand you will see the power difference  and be impressed when using it with two wands. The Titan 875 is twice as powerful as the medium machines  and can clean with three wands, Rx20's and can easily cope with 1,000 feet of hoses which is very impressive indeed.
The medium size tm's  like the Titan 575, Pheonix 570i, Prochem  Peak and Apex  are all liquid cooled which gives you extra heat exchanging capabilities and vacuum performance and if you use these in single mode you will, because of the bigger blowers see a big difference to the Blazer.
It is a matter of horses for courses, if you only do domestics and smaller commercials and don't want to do bigger stuff then the smaller machines are the ones to choose and still represent a huge advantage over any portable system.

Simon

tim handley

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 08:51:42 am »
re prowler,  how much difference in performance would i notice compared to my storm?  also how big is the machine?
would it work okay on a smallish van????

John Kelly

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 08:57:02 am »
You would have more power and more flushing rate however on the downside you will also have fuel costs.

Darren O

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 10:09:44 am »
I had a truckmount for 3 years Chemtex 20 hp great machine it is faster than a portable and leaves carpets dryer but that's about it don't belive all the guff that it gets you more work than a porty its nonsense I sold mine and went back to a porty as all my work is 90% domestic and a portable is great for what I need also have loads of room again in my van for pressure washing and window cleaning as that makes up about 60% of my turnover.Iam glad I bought one to see what all the fuss was about but a porty does me fine.

John Kelly

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:01 am »
We have had a couple of customers recently who have sold their truckmounts and went back to portables.