This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

samson

Broken ankle symptons ?
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:57:19 am »
I slipped yesterday while working and my ankle turned outwards, and has swollen and is painful to stand on !     Don't fancy being a bed blocker at caualty, so just taking Ibuprofen, thought about just leaving it a few days and seeing what occurs.
What would be your prefered action plan ?

samson

Re: Broken ankle symptons ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:23:32 am »
Photo of the offending foot  ;D

samson

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:24:42 am »
Got a shed load of work to do before the holiday, so hope it's not serious  ::)roll

samson

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:26:25 am »
I now have a cankle  ;D

oldman

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 06:33:10 am »
You need to get that seen to mate, if that's broken and not sorted-out it will lead to problems in the future.

samson

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:56:24 am »
You need to get that seen to mate, if that's broken and not sorted-out it will lead to problems in the future.
Thanks, would I still be able to fly if it's in a cast ?

Don Kee

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:17 am »

Depends on whether you damaged your wings as well as the ankle, when you fell?

oldman

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:07 am »

You'll need very good arm strength with the extra weight of the plaster-cast  ;D.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 07:21:36 am »
Get it checked if you have a doubt.  I've done similar before without it being a break; it took several days for the swelling to go down properly.  If it had been painful rather than numb, I would have requested an x-ray.

Tom White

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 07:47:37 am »
Yes, get it checked; if it's broken and not seen to, it may heal a bit, which may mean it needs to be rebroken to set it.  Wor Little Un broke her arm when she was little from a fall (honest guv) and we took her to the army medical centre and they said she was fine because she had movement, there was no deformity, and there was very little swelling.

Two days later we returned and they then referred us for an xray and it turned out to be broken, which meant Wor Little Un had to have a general anaesthetic to have it re-broken and set.  She wouldn't have needed this had we had an xray sooner.

Regardless of which, twisted ankles are a pain, literally, not just because of the discomfort you're in now, but it just increases your risk of further twisted ankles for the next 6 to 12 months (so I believe).  Because the tendons are slightly stretched and out of whack, the signals from your ankle to your brain aren't as accurate as they normally would be (because you've stretched 'em), which means your body won't correct itself like it normally would.

That's what Wor lass reckons anyway.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 07:54:03 am »
How painful is it ?

Last year our daughter slipped on the grass, thought nothing of it other than ice pack, about 3 hours later she's still in tears, so I took her to casualty to find out it's a double spiral fracture that needed surgery  :o

So if it's unbearable to touch/walk on then have it checked out.

On a posivite note I was once working on a gantry that had not been welded properly and fell through it badly wrenching my ankle, it swelled up big time, but nothing more than that and 3 days later it was back to normal

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Dave Willis

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:02 am »
I can do better than that.
A guy in our factory slipped off a four inch pallet and broke his ankle - they put him in plaster. He died later of a blood clot. True  story.

samson

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 08:07:50 am »
I can do better than that.
A guy in our factory slipped off a four inch pallet and broke his ankle - they put him in plaster. He died later of a blood clot. True  story.
Thanks for that  ;D

samson

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 08:09:18 am »
I have quite a high pain threshold ( I was married to my ex for 10 years )  but I think it is just a strain, but our lass is nagging me to go to the hospital  ::)roll

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 08:23:50 am »
get an x ray mate.a few years ago i was having a kickabout with my brother and his son and took a tumble awkwardly.i ended up on crutches for nearly 4 weeks. ::)roll.an expensive fall!(torn ligaments)

ive never seen my brother and his son laugh so much though!they still bring it up now at family get togethers! ;D ;D

even now it still gives me a little niggle every now and then.the nurse said itll never be the same again.
price higher/work harder!

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 08:29:49 am »
Get it checked out! Your livelihood depends on it fixing properly whether it's a sprain, dislocated or broken.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

samson

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 09:25:27 am »
Went to HRI, in and out xray in 25 minutes  :o     Only a sprain, but the nurse did mention she was very impressed with my bone structure, said it looked like a that of a man half my age  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 10:52:20 am »
A few years back I buggered up my ankle quit badly and was off work for over 12 months off & on.
The doctor that was treating me said I would have been better off if I had broken it as soft tissue damage takes alot longer to heel properly than a broken bone.

If it's just a normal sprain and no major soft tissue damage then still you maybe off work for a week or too all the same.

samson

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 11:49:55 am »
A few years back I buggered up my ankle quit badly and was off work for over 12 months off & on.
The doctor that was treating me said I would have been better off if I had broken it as soft tissue damage takes alot longer to heel properly than a broken bone.

If it's just a normal sprain and no major soft tissue damage then still you maybe off work for a week or too all the same.
Back to work this afty got a conservatory valet & gutter clean to do  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 11:57:35 am »

Back to work this afty got a conservatory valet & gutter clean to do  ;D

Good luck with that then  ;D