This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

no parking where I need it!
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:57:22 pm »
Hi all, I'm thinking of canvassing s street full of terraced houses, the windows all look filthy but it's a one way street and the parking is on the opposite side of the road!
Is it safe to lay the hose across the road???
Or is the only other option to get a backpack??
Cheers  ???

Don Kee

Re: no parking where I need it!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 02:54:46 pm »
Drop a barrel of pure at each house you get
Wheel a trolley system to each house and clean
Pick up the barrels at the end of the day
Price them a bit higher to make it worth the extra effort...?

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 03:13:31 pm »
Drop a barrel of pure at each house you get
Wheel a trolley system to each house and clean
Pick up the barrels at the end of the day
Price them a bit higher to make it worth the extra effort...?
Very good idea! cheers pal

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 03:58:16 pm »
Run the hose across - no problem.

Unless it is a very busy road.
It's a game of three halves!

Matt.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 04:18:21 pm »
Run the hose across the road, no probs at all, I done this many of times,

I have even had cherry picker drive over my hose and only thing that happened was water stopped flowing, hose wasn't damaged.

duncan h

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 06:32:11 pm »
I had a massive fork lift drive over it.
On Monday I watched another windy with his hose across a busy main rd. Don't think I would do that.
Couldn't be bothered dropping water off at each house.
You need to get the work first. You may only get 1 house or even none. Just because they are dirt, doesn't mean they don't have a windy

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:06:50 pm »
I'd prefer to work out how I'm gonna do the cleans before I spend time canvassing, First thing I look for is the parking lol ;D

SeanK

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:19:12 pm »
Personally I would go with Don Kees idea, either a trolley or backpack but if you do decide to but your hose over
the main road you will need to check if you are allowed to do so.
You cant just anything over a public road especially in these times of health and safety gone mad.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:29:23 pm »
That's what I was thinking Sean, if someone bloody reports me for the hose across the road, or if the hose gets wrapped round someone's tyre and rips my stuff out the van!!  :o

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 07:39:13 pm »
if its a busy main road then id use a backpack mate.i do for one or two jobs where its tricky with a van mount.

for side streets then yes use the van mount and trail the hose across the road.i do this all the time with no problems.

who on earth would "report you" for trailing a hose across a road?its hardly the crime of the century! ;D

put a cone out and crack on! 8)
price higher/work harder!

Matt.

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »
I to was assuming it was just a standard st or rd with houses on....

Did not realise it was something similar to A580 - east lancs rd  ;D

So in this case no cars travelling at 60 mph will damage the hose no end  ;D

Serious tho guys how many of u want to be h&s guys wen u finish window cleaning,

🚐💨

Don Kee

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 08:25:39 pm »
To be honest, the trolley idea was for if you pick up a fair few (i.e you're there for a few hours, maybe a day) so you dont get hose wrapped up around cars or some barsteward parks on it.
If you only pick up one or two and you can park relatively close,  i'd just pull the hose over the road and crack on...

Bollox to the 'HSE' worries, you're not working on site.
As long as you're not a muppet, and dont make an old granny do the limbo under your hose i'm sure no one will report you...
use the muscle between your ears and you'll be fine.

(I'm assuming its a bog standard 30mph, 'normal' terrace road)

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 08:32:20 pm »
haha some good replies, its a 30mph road off a busy main road where people are always trying to park so they can walk into town..... cheers guys....i shall crack on  ;D 8)

a900

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »
I run hoses across quiet 30 roads but I learnt the hard way to make sure the hose is flat on the road.
I had a car catch the hose and drag it 10 - 15 metre down the road. The hose was raised up near the road gutter and the chap drove straight at the curl.  (I didn't realise this till after) I hang the hose and tap around my neck. It wiped off my neck and pole out my hand. I was fortunate that I was cleaning ground floor rather than the 3 story I had just done. Also that the hose didn't get trapped around my neck.

All I'm saying is be careful, make sure the hose is flat and assume every passer by is an idiot  ;D

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 08:41:50 pm »
I run hoses across quite 30 roads but I learnt the hard way to make sure the hose is flat on the road.
I had a car catch the hose and drag it 10 - 15 metre down the road. The hose was raised up near the road gutter and the chap drove straight at the curl.  (I didn't realise this till after) I hang the hose and tap around my neck. It wiped off my neck and pole out my hand. I was fortunate that I was cleaning ground floor rather than the 3 story I had just done. Also that the hose didn't get trapped around my neck.

All I'm saying is be careful, make sure the hose is flat and assume every passer by is an idiot  ;D

i wouldve crapped myself if that happened to me haha.... first words that would come to mind is......OH $H!T

SeanK

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 08:50:33 pm »
Shane as you can see as with most topics on here its only a matter off time before the roaring and chest beating starts.
Fact is you will be every bit as quick doing 4 or 5 terraced fronts with a trolley as messing about with hoses on a public
road.
At the end of the day why risk it, different if there was no other way.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 08:55:09 pm »
il crack on AFTER a risk assesment, the windows on the whole street are caked in dirt, if theyve got a windy, maybe he does them once a year  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 10:02:02 pm »
il crack on AFTER a risk assesment, the windows on the whole street are caked in dirt, if theyve got a windy, maybe he does them once a year  ;D

If they are close to a road then they will be dirty by the next day, especially in winter.  Canvass the road before you buy any equipment.

We have a road like this into Guisborough and hardly anyone bothers with their windows. They are all filthy - added privacy according to one owner.

There was a cleaner working in the London center who used one of those gardeners 4 wheel trolleys with a 125 liter tank, battery, pump and hose reel. He pulled it from shop front to shop front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Garden-Trolley-Cart-Truck-4-Wheel-Heavy-Duty-Transport-Metal-Wheelbarrow-/400917597578?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d588d0d8a

Maybe something like that would be a consideration if you got enough customers.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 10:55:43 pm »
Shane as you can see as with most topics on here its only a matter off time before the roaring and chest beating starts.
Fact is you will be every bit as quick doing 4 or 5 terraced fronts with a trolley as messing about with hoses on a public
road.
At the end of the day why risk it, different if there was no other way.

no he wont sean!he ll defo be slower with a backpack/trolley esp if their filthy!he ll spend half his time filling the ruddy thing up! ;D

i know.been there.done that.if its a side street he ll be fine with his hose over the road(unless its a900!)theres always one! ;D
price higher/work harder!

paulben

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 06:26:47 am »
Only thing that would bother me is getting some muppet taking a dive to try and claim some compensation or someone who is visually impaired
Do not steal the government hates competition