This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jacqueline Kerr

Financing a new van
« on: May 02, 2015, 01:47:03 pm »
Hi Guys, just looking for some info on your experience of financing a new van. I am looking at putting a new Peugoet Boxer SWB on the road. The van suits our purpose, size etc. there are jus so many deals out there, just wondered what your experience was.

Scrimble

Re: Financing a new van
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »
buy brand new and pay a large deposit, at least half up front and take the rest on tick over a couple of years to pay the least amount of interest you can

SeanK

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 02:38:27 pm »
Depends on your finance deal, if its very low then that large deposit might earn you more in a savings account than you
would pay in interest especially when the interest will also be tax deductible.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:23:56 pm »
buy brand new and pay a large deposit, at least half up front and take the rest on tick over a couple of years to pay the least amount of interest you can
Agree with this, also better taking a bank loan rather than the dealers finance as there are no additional fees with a bank loan and the van will belong to you straight away, not the finance company.

dd

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 06:46:18 pm »
Depends on your finance deal, if its very low then that large deposit might earn you more in a savings account than you
would pay in interest especially when the interest will also be tax deductible.
Have you actually seen the interest rates on savings accounts!

Matt.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 06:48:26 pm »
If you go to a dealership, you can finance a van with small deposit but you will have to pay vat of total cost up front.

Eg van cost £10k

Deposit £500

Vat £2000

Total £2500

Finance £9500 over 3 or 4 years, look at Apr deals to see what's best.

Nissan nv200 Eco looks a nice sized van as a second van to have, I have heard good things about them.

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »
Agree with this, also better taking a bank loan rather than the dealers finance as there are no additional fees with a bank loan and the van will belong to you straight away, not the finance company.

In my experience in the motor trade, a finance house won't often ask for additional security for their loan other than that of the vehicle they are financing if the applicant has a good credit rating. However, if you take out a personal loan, there is a greater probability that the bank will ask you to put your house up as security for the loan. They aren't going to hand over a large sum of money without a guarantee that they will have some recourse if the loan goes pair shaped.

So although the interest rate will be lower, a bank loan/overdraft could come with more strings attached.

Many Mortgages allow you to borrow against the value of the house. Take money out of the excess you have accumulated in the pot, so the 'loan' is repayable at a low interest rate.

Economic sense is that you borrow as little money as possible. Business however, looks at this differently. Why spend your money now on something you are going to earn back later. Better you pay it back at the same time you are earning it. However, you need to always have a small reserve pot in case of those occasional lean months.

Finance deals are a very personal thing and what makes sense to you may not make sense to someone else. Leasing a van is one of them. Leasing leaves you a final payment at the end of the contract which will give you a lower monthly repayment. A Lease Purchase is another form of lease for the van where you have to pay the final payment for the van to become yours (Finance lease is similar to Contract Hire where the vehicle will never become yours. But a Purchase Lease is different) That final payment will be what the van is expected to be worth at the end of the contract with X amount of miles on the clock.  If you intend to replace that van every 3 or 4 years with a new one then leasing can make sense as you are leasing and paying interest on the depreciation rather than the full original price of the van.
And yes, the motor manufacturers love this type of deal as it keeps you in a replacement vehicle cycle every 3 or 4 years.

For me doing limited annual mileage, physically worn out and generally knackered, it doesn't make sense to buy new or lease. But that's my opinion. I'm seeing this through my eyes.  A much younger person who has a long working career ahead of them will see things differently, as I once did. No one else knows your business better than you.

There is plenty of advise on websites that look at the pros and cons of each finance deal.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 08:03:58 pm »
Bank loan rather than lease your accountant will put the whole amount through as a m outright purchase, you may even get a big tax rebate the first year.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 08:31:11 pm »
My wife has just bought a new car, I won't go too much into the details as I might get shot down for bragging but, had we went through with what the dealership was proposing we would have paid £2900 in interest,  arrangement fee and option to purchase fee over 3 years. We put in a wee bit more of our money, got a bank loan over 2 years and are only paying £750 in interest. That is why I agreed with Scrimbles post, put in as much money as you can and take a loan on the shortest term you can.

martinw

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 08:34:18 pm »
if you are a sole trader you could get up to 2 years credit card balance transfer at 2.9% which in turn can work out cheaper than  personal loan (subject to amount). alternatively hire purchase can be had for as little as 1.9% apr if you look around and put large enough deposit.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 09:21:24 pm »
You can claim all interest back against your tax a few % ain't gonna make much difference,you'll have to pay the bank loan back monthly where's if you were to get it on a credit card some months you might decide not to pay it lol

Jacqueline Kerr

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 01:22:59 pm »
thanks all, it seems that i need to look into what deals are best suited to me. Good to read all your advice though, will definately weigh it all up before jumping into anything too hasty. :)

brianbarber

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 02:14:16 pm »
Vauxhall advertising 4 years 0 %  on all there vans , plus free servicing
Big deposit though.

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

brianbarber

If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »
Vauxhall advertising 4 years 0 %  on all there vans , plus free servicing
Big deposit though.

Mr B

Again you will have to look at all the figures.

In my days in the commercial dept there was only one pot of money. It was called cash back then. If you wanted a 0% apr finance rate then this was paid for from out of the cashback pot. It was a different deal and the cashback no longer applied.

Different deals would appeal to different people. When the car scrappage scheme was introduced the country went nuts over it. Cars were bought and some perfectly good cars scrapped as customers got caught up in Government backed advertising.  The scrappage scheme meant the Citroen reduced the cashback they were giving the previous months on the same models. Customers were hoodwinked into saving money when they would have got a better deal a few months previously before the scrappage scheme initiative.

With low interest rates, 0% apr doesn't cost the motor manufacturer that much, and neither does 4 years free servicing, especially when servicing is done every 2 years. In my days with the trade, 0% apr finance and free servicing cost less than the cashback, so you were better off taking the cashback offer.

But 0% apr is such a hook. It works - if it didn't they won't still do it.

Remember free servicing sounds better than what you actually get. Any warranty issues would be attended to FOC anyway, but you still pay for fair wear & tear items. If you needed new brake pads, you pay for that and the labour cost of fitting them. So what are you getting? An oil and filter change for 'free'.

4 years road  side assistance is only 1 year more than they used to offer - 3 years warranty and 3 years road side assistance.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 09:35:01 pm »
I would stay well away from all French vans,even there mechanics say there awful.

PoleKing

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 10:26:08 pm »
+1 Spruce.

0% sounds good but you usually end up paying nearly book price on a vehicle.
Cash is still king.
If you haven't got the cash, borrow (£15k can be had for 3.6%) it and then cut the deal.
Paying 3.6% on the loan for a reduced cost van will probably work out cheaper than the 0% of a full price van.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 10:35:15 pm »
Yeah you will I went down this route and enquired,the salesman was about my age and when his manager went off he said to me absolutely numptyody goes for that 4 year deal. That van he told me after 4 years are worth 3-4k tops no matter what they will tell you,the re sale value on vivaro-trafic are laughable.

ChumBucket

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:45 am »
+1 Spruce.

0% sounds good but you usually end up paying nearly book price on a vehicle.
Cash is still king.
If you haven't got the cash, borrow (£15k can be had for 3.6%) it and then cut the deal.
Paying 3.6% on the loan for a reduced cost van will probably work out cheaper than the 0% of a full price van.

+1.   

Jacqueline Kerr

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 07:36:42 pm »
Hi Guys thanks for all of the advice. it is much appreciated.  :)