This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

CLEANCARE WC

shoulder pain
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:52:08 pm »
Been wfp nearly 10 years now & about the last year I have been getting pain in my right shoulder (I am right handed too)   
... feels like the ball & socket wearing!

I know I need to see the doctor obviously but wondered if anyone has the same problem?
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Rich Wilts

Re: shoulder pain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 04:57:20 pm »
I get that. Have had it on going for about a year. I've been seeing a sports masseur fortnightly. She's very good, her treatments bring relief for three or so days. However it wouldn't surprise me if this is going to be an on going issue in this line of work. If I have a couple of weeks off when on holiday it improves but it doesn't take too long for it to revert to the usual state of play once back. External gutter cleaning with the pole does the most damage and occasionally continual high level work, a full day of 40' plus work isn't good for it.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 05:08:24 pm »
I think it will be the rotator cuff that is giving you problems, a physio will be able to give you exercises, which if followed should help.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:14:30 pm »
Wrist  elbows shoulder knee ankle :'(
Spit and polish

Jonny 87

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 05:30:05 pm »
Been wfp nearly 10 years now & about the last year I have been getting pain in my right shoulder (I am right handed too)   

I know I need to see the doctor obviously but wondered if anyone has the same problem?

What poles are you using?

This past year I've had the same niggling issues in my right shoulder (I'm right handed too). Nothing to stop me working,  but enough to cause me discomfort especially after a long days work.

For nearly three weeks now I've upgraded from an slx pole, to a extreme pole from gardiners. Already I can feel my shoulder getting better. Friday just gone, I had my largest day of work that gets done once a month, and I came home with no niggles in my shoulder atall.

I'm only 27, but I've been WFP cleaning since I left school 11 years ago, and I've now made the decision to use the most light and rigid poles that are available to me. If I'm in this game all my working life, then I shouldn't scrimp on equipment that will make my working life easier.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

duncan h

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 05:36:45 pm »
10 years wear and tear. !!!
We don't last forever. Elbows, wrists and right knee started for me. Nearly 50 so didn't do too bad

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 06:25:07 pm »

This past year I've had the same niggling issues in my right shoulder (I'm right handed too). Nothing to stop me working,  but enough to cause me discomfort especially after a long days work.

For nearly three weeks now I've upgraded from an slx pole, to a extreme pole from gardiners. Already I can feel my shoulder getting better. Friday just gone, I had my largest day of work that gets done once a month, and I came home with no niggles in my shoulder atall.

I'm only 27, but I've been WFP cleaning since I left school 11 years ago, and I've now made the decision to use the most light and rigid poles that are available to me. If I'm in this game all my working life, then I shouldn't scrimp on equipment that will make my working life easier.

I'm 38 and I have definitely gone past my tipping point, I have started going grey this past year too  ;D

I use a 22' SLX for 95% of my work and until the extreme comes down about £100 a pole it will have to do.  I do work sensibly.. extending the pole to the correct height rather than working with my hands above my head like I see loads doing. 

I guess it's gonna be 'OUR' Tennis elbow but the completely unfair thing is we get that too!
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 06:28:59 pm »
Damaged my rotar cuff last(the tendon wich joins the shoulder  and arm)last year while working on high level work.
Was in pain for many months and the only real solution was to rest it and physio.
Physio and acupuncture really helped.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »

I had that attitude after the first year of wfp.

People may laugh when I use extreme poles for everything,electric hose reels and floor mounted rollers.

I will make sure I high five them when they are complaining years down the line of RSI injuries.

Since going electric reels I have managed to stop back pain and neck pain ;)

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 07:35:26 pm »

I had that attitude after the first year of wfp.

People may laugh when I use extreme poles for everything,electric hose reels and floor mounted rollers.

I will make sure I high five them when they are complaining years down the line of RSI injuries.

Since going electric reels I have managed to stop back pain and neck pain ;)
Do you have the Hannay motorized reel from Gardiners?
I'd like an electric reel but their one is £699 plus vat plus extra for rollers etc  :'(
And it makes an awful racket aswell judging by the video clip on the website

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 07:56:17 pm »
I have the cox reel.

Yeah they are noisy. Thing is i cant be doing with leaks and crappy reels. Having had manual cox reels it was a no brainer to swap to the electric.

The idea is to make the reel power wind out and power wind in.

I have the hose roller setup through the floor and its bloody perfect. Speed needs upping a bit which we will do i guess. However i had a race all day with my worker and even though my reel is slower than him winding in by 2pm he couldnt keep up on the 100m runs. Plus i usually check ciu when winding in  :-X

bobplum

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 07:40:33 am »
buy the power from jordan king for your reel

gary999

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:21:51 am »
Try building your shoulders muscles and increase your core strength..use less motion
with individual muscle groups and joints whenever possible and use your whole body
a rocking motion is good .

I use a clx27 have a busted up shoulder from a bike accident and never get a pain :)

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 08:26:15 am »
5 years wfp for me now and i very rarely get any shoulder pain,my neck is sore sometimes though esp if im doing a f/s/g job.

i tend to

1.not work more than 6 or 7 hours "on the glass" a day

2.have weekends off

3.a few days rest at the end of the month before the next months onslaught.

4.use extreme poles for all work

5.light stretching exercises/yoga before work

6.cod liver oil and glucosamine capsule every day

so for the sake of  £100 you wont buy an extreme pole?even though you ve been suffering with a sore shoulder for a year?and itll make your working day easier?it doesnt make sense mate.

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 08:30:27 am »
Try building your shoulders muscles and increase your core strength..use less motion
with individual muscle groups and joints whenever possible and use your whole body

I use a clx27 have a busted up shoulder from a bike accident and never get a pain :)

good advice from gary here.ive always had powerful shoulders and arms since i started going to the gym when i was in my teens.

also i dont have too many 40ft+ jobs and dont take on too many add on jobs in a day.i spread them out over the month

Tom-01

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 11:36:57 am »

Agree with Gary999

I've had a dislocated shoulder which needed two ops, a slipped disc in my back and a fractured ankle (all from football). I think I have an issue with my joints too. However, since taking training seriously with a personal trainer once a week and regular gym sessions my strength has increased dramatically and no longer get the shoulder and back pain I used to get. I spend less on beer and crap food and spend it on 'me' instead. Get down the gym and increase your strength, especially shoulders and you will notice a big difference.

g.brookes

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 12:35:18 pm »
At age 29 and 5 years wfp I am also getting right shoulder trouble.
I think we've gone from risk of dying/serious injury on ladders, to hard to avoid RSI injuries.
The trouble is any job, even in an office causes problems over time.
I have started to see a physio has has traced my shoulders problems back to the neck, then back to my core strength and pelvic position.
There's many possibly reasons for shoulder problems so deffo go and see a physio in my opinion.
My problem hasn't been solved straight away but eased.
I now make sure I warm up before work and down after wards.
In an ideal world we need to be going gym to strengthen our shoulder and Pilates/yoga got flexibility as well.
Trouble is after a hard days work I really can't be arsed to go to the gym.
Deffo start sorting it now though. Prevention is so much easier than cure

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 06:29:51 pm »
At age 29 and 5 years wfp I am also getting right shoulder trouble.
I think we've gone from risk of dying/serious injury on ladders, to hard to avoid RSI injuries.
The trouble is any job, even in an office causes problems over time.
I have started to see a physio has has traced my shoulders problems back to the neck, then back to my core strength and pelvic position.
There's many possibly reasons for shoulder problems so deffo go and see a physio in my opinion.
My problem hasn't been solved straight away but eased.
I now make sure I warm up before work and down after wards.
In an ideal world we need to be going gym to strengthen our shoulder and Pilates/yoga got flexibility as well.
Trouble is after a hard days work I really can't be arsed to go to the gym.
Deffo start sorting it now though. Prevention is so much easier than cure

29 years of age and your suffering already?

God help you when you get to 43!apart from a stiff neck occasionally i have no problems.ive been window cleaning 22 years(5 years WFP).

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 07:45:50 pm »
I try to rest my shoulders in five star hotels as much as possible.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 08:12:59 pm »
I try to rest my shoulders in five star hotels as much as possible.
;D ;D ;D