This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jakey boy

Hi guys,

I often see them myself, those little brown and black dots stuck on the window, and many on here call them fly poo or bug poo etc, I thought id explain what they actually are once and for all,

Just to be clear they are not fly poo or bug poo, or any poo lol

What they are is 'artillery fungus' sometimes called 'shotgun fungus' this is a fungus that is usually found on mulch (potted plants etc) it then under pressure fires an egg (the brown dots we see) onto anything it will stick to, that sometimes happens to be a window, it drys hard, and that's what we see on the window.

I once heard someone say it was aeroplane oil landing on the ground - some people are seriously stupid  ???

Anyway hope that clears it up, it's a fungus, not a poo!

andyM

What even on the inside?  ::)roll
One of the Plebs

Jonny 87

Really?

I've always seen it underneath spiders nests/balls, and always thought it was related.

That's a revelation for me!
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Window Lickers

some people are seriously stupid  ???

You they sure are.
Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

rosskesava

Really?

I've always seen it underneath spiders nests/balls, and always thought it was related.

It's quite simple really.

It's the artillery fungus firing at the spiders.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

duncan h

Really?

Its spiders eggs. Well, in Yorkshire anyway  ;D
Sick of the bloody things. Takes all my water rinsing them away

slap bash

I am totally with the fungus as we don`t see this fly and spider poo all over our homes do we. Strangely enough.
I one day i had a house with frames littered with black dots and just could not move then with water fed pole and say to my customer I will have to use a different method and that I had been told it fly poo she said no! its was the her neighbor that sprayed the fence with fence sealer that over sprayed onto the frames. Fly poo, I felt like a bit of fly poo.
All you need is one to call it and the rest will follow. For this exact reason so many are able to pull the wool on this forum. Its a democratic society if more than two are fooled then its gospel.
I shudder at advice offered on here on business and science eg RO tds and Di`s Psi and gas boilers, the law etc .The world is lost for a lack of knowledge.

SeanK

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what it is or what you call it as long as you remove it.
But personally I always find them when there is an abundance of spiders nests and webs and hardly ever
get them in the colder months when there are less insects about.
You do get them on the insides of windows as well but that doesn't mean its not a fungus.

Clever Forum Name

My dad has a spider in his van and we can't catch it. He's a clever bugger. I don't know how he manages to survive all this time.

On the White of his door frames it's covered in black dots. All this time we thought it was the spider.

I will tell him to remove his potted plants and it should help.

Jakey boy

I'm not making it up by the way guys, Google it!

Jakey boy

Positivity

Don't know what the ones on the sills are but they stain the white plastic and they won't clean off with anything!
They fade in time with the sunlight but this year (Summer) they have been the worst I have ever seen!!

Jakey boy

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what it is or what you call it as long as you remove it.
But personally I always find them when there is an abundance of spiders nests and webs and hardly ever
get them in the colder months when there are less insects about.
You do get them on the insides of windows as well but that doesn't mean its not a fungus.

You wouldn't see it in the colder months its not warm enough for the fungus to grow, also if they are found on the inside wondows, it'll probably be because the window has been open in the summer

Dave Willis

Cavalry droppings are far worse.

Ian Lancaster

The reality is that spots such as these can be from a variety of sources.

I have no doubt that artilliary fungus is responsible for much of them but spiders do poo!!  Underneath a spider's nest you will see a concentration of brown/black spots, especially on any ledges that may be below the nest and these are spider poo.  Flies will also deposit small round spots of dark coloured poo - you may see it if a fly is settled on a nice clean surface it presses its abdomen against the surface then pulls itself away, leaving it's poo behind.  Bees are even worse, in the spring after they emerge from hibernation they need to get rid of a lot of waste from inside them.  They also stick the poo to the glass/plastic then walk away pulling the poo from inside them leaving a yellow strand of poo a centimetre or two long firmly stuck to the surface.

Next time you go out, remember to take your magnifiying glass with you, come back and report your findings here and we can all have a nice cozy discussion about the many and varied types of poo and maybe even have a vote to see which is the favourite!!

;D

Jonny 87

I have no doubt that artilliary fungus is responsible for much of them but spiders do poo!!  Underneath a spider's nest you will see a concentration of brown/black spots, especially on any ledges that may be below the nest and these are spider poo.  Flies will also deposit small round spots of dark coloured poo - you may see it if a fly is settled on a nice clean surface it presses its abdomen against the surface then pulls itself away, leaving it's poo behind.  Bees are even worse, in the spring after they emerge from hibernation they need to get rid of a lot of waste from inside them.  They also stick the poo to the glass/plastic then walk away pulling the poo from inside them leaving a yellow strand of poo a centimetre or two long firmly stuck to the surface.

Next time you go out, remember to take your magnifiying glass with you, come back and report your findings here and we can all have a nice cozy discussion about the many and varied types of poo and maybe even have a vote to see which is the favourite!!

;D

That has to be one of the most enjoyable posts I've read since I've been on this forum. Lol
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Ian Lancaster

;D

That has to be one of the most enjoyable posts I've read since I've been on this forum. Lol

Why, thank you, kind Sir!!

Jakey boy

90% of the marks I see in the summer are fungus, spider poo usually gets washed away much easier! The hard dots are almost certainly always fungus

the king

My dad has a spider in his van and we can't catch it. He's a clever bugger. I don't know how he manages to survive all this time.

On the White of his door frames it's covered in black dots. All this time we thought it was the spider.

I will tell him to remove his potted plants and it should help.
;D ;D ;D

Nick_Thompson

I'm with Ian!
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.