Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard Shepherd

Lost one today
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:12:57 pm »
For the last 5 years I have been cleaning a block consisting of 10 posh apartments. It took me and my son 2 hours and I charged £165.

Received an email this morning from the management company saying "due to budget restraints we have sourced another window cleaner".

I rang them and was told that they had sourced a national company who had quoted 40 percent less than my price.

Bad do!!!!!!!!!

Ian101

Re: Lost one today
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:23:00 pm »
especially as they didn't give you a chance to requote !

If your friendly with some of the residents maybe worth giving them your phone number in case the new cleaners are crap and residents become unhappy  ???

Ian101

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:25:01 pm »
4 man hours at £40 plus water .. fuel ect don't sound dear

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 06:49:32 pm »
at least you had a good 5 years at it.they dont last forever.

i spent time pricing up 50 apartments for a management company.it would of been a good earner but i didnt get the job. ::)roll

i priced them at a reasonable rate too.oh well.
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:56:07 pm »
40% cheaper - so £99 quid, being a national that will be plus vat, but this part can be offset .

While its a gut wrencher to lose a job like this, it is business and for whatever reason, they have needed to cut costs, hopefully the residents will complain enough to get you reinstated as I bet their management fees have not been reduced.

Some of our managed "estates" are 3 yr contracts and the residents get to vote on who get the contract, and it's not then just down to price.

Ian - I wouldn't re quote, if can suddenly slash your price by 40% it looks like you've overcharged for the last five years

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Sean Dyer

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:57:07 pm »
2 xmas' ago i got a letter that some i did had got a national in , lost £300 a month

hurts when it happens but usually kicks you up the bum to get more and you always end up better off in the long run

ChumBucket

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 07:04:27 pm »
For the last 5 years I have been cleaning a block consisting of 10 posh apartments. It took me and my son 2 hours and I charged £165.

Received an email this morning from the management company saying "due to budget restraints we have sourced another window cleaner".

I rang them and was told that they had sourced a national company who had quoted 40 percent less than my price.

Bad do!!!!!!!!!

I'm being honest here but if I was in charge of the budget & knew you two were done in two hours I'd be looking to get better value too. That's the risk you take, I'd do that for £120 any day. It is after all window cleaning.

SeanK

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:31:53 pm »

Bad do!!!!!!!!!

I'm being honest here but if I was in charge of the budget & knew you two were done in two hours I'd be looking to get better value too. That's the risk you take, I'd do that for £120 any day. It is after all window cleaning.

Yes if it was close to your base but what if you had to travel 30 mins each way this has to be considered also.
That's another 2 hours between two men.

ChumBucket

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:08:50 pm »

Bad do!!!!!!!!!

Yes if it was close to your base but what if you had to travel 30 mins each way this has to be considered also.
That's another 2 hours between two men.

That's not the budget man's problem. Plenty work by themselves too which slashes that by half.

Mick Kent

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:54 pm »
Plenty of better work out there, dont let it get you down.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 08:18:49 pm »
i have issue with a management company at the moment as they owe  2 invoices for a block i clean

the good point is the residents asked me to clean the window and then when the new mangement company took over they told them i had to stay cleaning. ;D ;D ;D

now the fun begin in the fact we are due another clean and the two invoices havent been paid,so off will be going a email to the management company and resident saying that there with be no cleaning next week due to the unpaid invoices

i bet i get paid with 24hrs  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

elite mike

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 08:42:19 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NWH

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 08:43:01 pm »
If someone wants to do it cheaper let them have it mate don't take it personally some people will do it for peanuts. Good domestic work is the old commercial from days gone by now,don't expect loyalty from anyone in today's climate its a thing of the past just price what you want just don't think you'll keep it forever so if you lose it you've had your money out of em

NWH

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:50 pm »
My old man used to say keep in with the caretaker and I used to laugh but he was right, if they don't like you when your there they'll keep looking at there watch and you'll be on borrowed time.

Ian101

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 09:52:21 pm »

Ian - I wouldn't re quote, if can suddenly slash your price by 40% it looks like you've overcharged for the last five years

Darran

me neither but still nice to be asked and nice to be able to say "go do one"  ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:40:29 pm »
i have issue with a management company at the moment as they owe  2 invoices for a block i clean

the good point is the residents asked me to clean the window and then when the new mangement company took over they told them i had to stay cleaning. ;D ;D ;D

now the fun begin in the fact we are due another clean and the two invoices havent been paid,so off will be going a email to the management company and resident saying that there with be no cleaning next week due to the unpaid invoices

i bet i get paid with 24hrs  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You done their gutters yet?

bobplum

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 06:49:32 am »

Bad do!!!!!!!!!

what was the frequency

C o z y

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 07:33:09 am »
My old man used to say keep in with the caretaker and I used to laugh but he was right, if they don't like you when your there they'll keep looking at there watch and you'll be on borrowed time.

True!! I learned the same from the old salts that used to work public buildings like schools, hospitals etc. Half the job was getting the caretaker on side. Don't matter how well you and your blokes work, if he don't like you, you're not getting an easy day/week.

By the way, Bateman does that by giving sexual favours in other public buildings, like toilet blocks etc.  ;)
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Richard Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 04:57:59 pm »

Bad do!!!!!!!!!

what was the frequency

Monthly

Caleb Morley

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 05:01:29 pm »

Bad do!!!!!!!!!

How to never earn big money in this game - just keep thinking this: "it is after all just window cleaning"