This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dish

R/O upgrade to reduce waste
« on: April 14, 2006, 07:53:16 pm »
Not only am I on a water meter, but I don't like the idea of wasting water anyway.

Just got my R/O up and running.

Pressure reading 75psi.
Ingoing TDS  - 246.
Outgoing before DI -  24
Product after DI  - 1
Current waste/product ratio - 4 barrels waste to 1 barrel product.

Alex G had mentioned in a previous post about RO upgrade that it was possible to fit a second membrane to reduce waste.

Any information that any of you can give me on RO's, and what I can do to reduce my waste will be greatly appreciated.

matt

Re: R/O upgrade to reduce waste
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 08:33:38 pm »
im going down this route aswell, i dont need the extra output, just like the idea of less waste

Tim Morton

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:54:57 pm »
Hi guys, I have a ro-man 200 gpd pumped system, it has 2 100gpd membranes, I have 148tds going in and 1.5tds out. waste is about 2 waste to 1 of pure. I'm gonna add a 3rd membrane to reduce waste to 1 to 1 ratio. It also will mean that i will get more pure water before having to renew the prefilters.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

gaza

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 10:19:39 pm »
TIM  :HOW WILL YOU BE ABLE TO TELL WHICH MEBRANE HAS CONKED OUT?

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

stoner

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 07:40:43 am »
been concerning me aswell the amount of waste,is that the way to reduce it then add another membrane? what does it cost ?

Tim Morton

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 09:40:07 am »
Gaza, you know what, i'd never thought of that. I guess you could just temporarily detatch each membrane to see if that restored the tds to the lowest value, i guess that would tell you which membrane had failed, they last about 3-5 years so I'm told.

Stoner, adding another membrane will reduce your waste, but I believe that they reccomend only having a max of 3 membranes connected in series. If you havent got a pump I'd reccomend getting one as having a pump will also help to improve your RO's efficiency. The upgrade kit from Ro-Man is about 60 quid for a 100gpd membrane and accessories.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:54:06 am »
Sutton

With 75 PSI water pressure a pump won't make much difference.

Adding the extra membranes does help though.

Andrew