This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Moderator David@stives

so close to retirement.
« on: April 13, 2006, 07:21:15 pm »
I bet this guy had been doing the same thing for the last 40 years.

Taken fron Cleanzine

HSE prosecutes following fall from height fatality

Henderson General Services, a construction company based in Putney, London, was fined £18,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,296, at the Old Bailey in London. The prosecution, brought by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE), followed its investigation into the death of James Grimes who died when he fell from a ladder while he attempted to access a scaffold for maintenance purposes.

Speaking after the case, HSE investigating inspector Simon Hester, said: "This death could easily have been avoided if the company had ensured safe ladder access to the scaffold. A simple and cheap action, such as installing a gantry for example, would have prevented the death of Mr Grimes and the grief suffered by his family and friends. Any contractor or site foreman reading about this case should be sure to check that proper ladder access is in place for the scaffold on their site."

63 year old Mr Grimes, was employed to paint the exterior of a building in Queens Gate Terrace, London, when he fell 4.25 metres while attempting to climb over a balcony railing from his ladder.

Re: so close to retirement.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:25:11 pm »
I've seen a couple of exterior house-painters doing all sorts of dangerous things.

Recently I saw one balancing on the apex of a sloping porch, supporting himself by holding onto a gutter while painting with his other hand.

I'm daft, but not daft enough to do that.

macc

Re: so close to retirement.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 08:27:29 pm »
it makes you think how many times have i done something not realizing how close i have come. An accidnt that could have been avoided by taking a bit of time, may be a bit extream saying i could be dead, but easily a broken arm or leg or even worse sat in a wheel chair for the rest of my life.

a wake up call to us all, aspecially to you guys still trad, we DONT want to read about one of you, probally teaching you to suck eggs, life is short & we are a long time dead, so dont go jumping in your grave,

macc