This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MisterC

When to change your brush
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »
Hi guys, When do you decide that a brush is too worn to use and should be replaced and what are the things you look for that makes you decide new brush. I have attached pics of brush I am currently using, seems worn on one edge.
Thanks for any advice

Paul erithwc

Re: When to change your brush
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »
Once every 3 or 4 months for normal brushes extreme brushes last me around 2-3 month before i change them.

I find the best thing to do is sell them on ebay when they are part worn and not worn out ;)

Paul

jonboywalton75

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:53:39 pm »
Mister C
I wouldn't change that brush
you can end up spending endlessly on Wfp stuff.

Then again I only pressure wash windows so I don't even need any brush ;D

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 03:04:45 pm »
For me that is too far gone,

Most bristles get dulled after a few months ( unless your doing little or no work ) and lose scrubbing power, and when frayed like those more likely to leave dirt behind.

Change your brush regularly, and as above flog thrm off in ebay, at times it covers the cost of a new one 😃

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 03:36:02 pm »
Or buy a tecbuk and have a brush with superior scrubbing power that lasts easily 12months.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »
Hi guys, When do you decide that a brush is too worn to use and should be replaced and what are the things you look for that makes you decide new brush. I have attached pics of brush I am currently using, seems worn on one edge.
Thanks for any advice

Bristle deformation is certainly one aspect of when to decide what is the right time to change a brush. If the bristles have worn or deformed to the point where they are affecting your ability to clean the windows in your normal style then this is a good time to change the brush.

However something that affects all brushes of whatever brand regardless of whether they look worn or not is bristle point wear. Even if a brush looks good still after a years worth of work, it usually will have begun to deteriorate in its actually scrubbing and cleaning ability. The points of the bristles will, with regular use, gradually become worn so that they became thinner at the ends. This is not noticed as it is very gradual but when replacing with a new brush it will be quite apparent that the new brush is cleaning more easily and efficiently.

As a general rule any brush after 12 months of regular daily use should be replaced to achieve maximum cleaning efficiency. Lightweight brushes (such as the Xtreme range) will not last as long due to less bristles and lighter stock.

Why is your brush worn on edge more than the other?

This actually affects most users and is because the pole is generally held on just one side of the body - RH side for right-handed workers and LH side for left-handed users. This has the effect for a RH worker of pushing the RH side of the brush harder against the window reveal in general use than the LH side of the brush. This means that with regular use the RH side of the brush and the bristles will become more abraded. Once aware of this effect an operator can adjust their technique to avoid this, however it can also be compensated for by turning the brush by 180 degrees on the socket every few months.

MisterC

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:03:11 pm »
Thanks for that guys.

dd

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 05:04:16 pm »
Alex

Does the same apply to a flocked Brush?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 05:23:13 pm »
Alex

Does the same apply to a flocked Brush?

Yes it would.

SeanK

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 05:26:49 pm »
You do have to ask yourself does anybody on here actually clean using WFP, how many bristle ends
actually touch the glass when scrubbing unless your using a very stiff brush.
Any xtreme brush that I have ever used always splays out like a pad so most of the bristle is doing the scrub.
As long as there are enough bristles on a brush it will clean the glass, but when they curl up at the ends it can be
hard to get the bristles into the corners.
Nothing wrong with that brush Misterc

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 05:43:37 pm »
That's why your not making 1000 quid a day Sean 😄😄😄

Pressure on the glass is one of the finer points of WFP cleaning, it's really easy to just keep pressing harder and harder, when in many cases the lighter the touch the better and quicker the result. ( like snails trails )

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SeanK

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 06:23:25 pm »
That's why your not making 1000 quid a day Sean

Pressure on the glass is one of the finer points of WFP cleaning, it's really easy to just keep pressing harder and harder, when in many cases the lighter the touch the better and quicker the result. ( like snails trails )

Darran

What pressure are you putting on an xtreme to splay the bristles ? the answer is hardly any.
That's the first thing you have to get used to when using Xtremes, not to press too hard.
Take a look at how your brush scrubs the glass and you will see that its not the ends of the bristles that
do most of the scrubbing.