This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

007 or what

not sheeting
« on: April 12, 2006, 06:07:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

yesterday was my 1st day with the wfp and i had a great day i'd booked a full day work in doing gutters, fascies, and windows inside and out £135. With the wfp doing the gitters it only took 5hrs  :) :) :)

Today i tried it on the windows of another job and my happy face turned sour :(
i could get the conservatory to sheet but not the patio doors i scrubbed and scrubbed and rinsed and rinsed for what seemed like forever but nothing worked. Where was i going wrong??

steve k

Re: not sheeting
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 06:12:24 pm »
don`t try and make a window sheet...it wont!! just wash it and rinse down diagonally and side to side and move on to the next one. They will still come up as good as a sheeting window...it is all phsycological!!

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 06:22:35 pm »
Steve's right.

Some do.. some dont. As long as you rinse well as Steve says all will be well :)

Andrew

dai

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 06:30:45 pm »
Since the conservatory windows sheeted your brush should not be contaminated.
It's best though to use a different brush for guttering and fascias.
Some windows won't sheet no matter how much you try. The door may have been cleaned using Mr Muscle or some other cleaner previously. I once read that any polish used on furniture, and containing silicone, should never be used on windows.
Glass can suffer from silicone ingestion. the silicone can actually penetrate the glass. I suspect this happens frequently when double glazed units are stuck together with silicone sealant. This would explain why some glass beads round the edges.
Sure the manufactures clean the unit before it's fitted, but if some silicone has been ingested during the process it could explain it.
As long as the windows dry spot free, don't worry about it. At least 20% of windows bead anyway. Hope this helps . Dai

007 or what

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 06:39:39 pm »
Thanks guys you have both really helped and put my mind at rest, i feel more confident about tommorow now. :) :) :)

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 07:45:35 pm »
I understand your feelings because there is an element of panic that sets in when you are new at it and the water won't sheet.

Now I have a couple of idiot theories that may or may not be right but just for the record here they are.

(1) it may be something about the make or type of glass. All the windows in my house were installed togeather so they are all presumably the same make of glass and they all bead despite having been cleaned loads of times.
The interesting thing would be if anyone has mixed glass say in an extension and that glass behaves differently to the glass in the rest of the house.

(2) Has someone in the past cleaned them using car shampoo which contains wax ? Of something similar ? Some washing up liquid contains lanolin whic is an oil.

(3) My area is heavily overflown by aircraft from Heathrow and Northolt. Even years ago I was aware the windows seem to get extra dirty and I always put that down to traffic and planes.
Is fuel residue washing out and leaving an oily film on everything including the windows. Similar theory for traffic fumes.

As long as the water is really 000 TDS it doesn't make any difference because even if the water does bead it still dries clear. But if there is a bit of TDS remaining it will show up as white spots

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 08:47:15 pm »
Vince

Your theory about the planes is probably correct.

Jet engines and most plane piston engines constantly dispose of engine oil. The engines have to be topped up very regularly. According to the engine there is usually a "so much oil per hour" rating.

Andrew

stephen.b1

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 11:58:33 pm »
i do a lot af builders cleans and i have found patio doors are temperd glass and do not sheet like plain glass dont worry  :)

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 12:06:26 am »
I remember my first days with wfp , i was so anal it must have cost me £££ ' s in lost earnings , but now i just wing it , quick wash quick rinse and move on whether it sheets or beads im gone to the next one .
After the first few cleans you will know good good and bad panes , anyway , if it does not dry out good you will soon find out from the customer !

Rich  P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

007 or what

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 08:32:12 am »
Thanks guys,
i did my windows yesterday and some beaded some didnt, but this morning i looked out and couldnt beleive how clean they are. looking forward to my 1st job today, i forgot that it takes a while for them to dry.

dai

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 06:42:22 pm »
I have had windows that sheet perfectly for the first couple of cleans, and then start to bead. Really dirty glass usually sheets very well. I noticed this when I first went WFP and did the windows over the conservatory for the first time, some have started to bead now though. Dai

DASERVICES

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 07:30:33 pm »

I'm not an expert on this but I'm sure I read somewhere that if the window
 beads then the film on the window is damaged, maybe wrong.

On a new estate I did the builders clean on the first house built and used
  WFP and rubbed off the glue residue with scrims. When I do these windows
  with WFP they just sheet.

On this same estate the builders got in some company to do the builders cleans,
  which I now do the windows. Using WFP they just bead so it must be the
  detergents that the company used that has effected the windows.

On another new estate I have ten houses, with WFP they just sheet. Got
  another new customer last week and their windows beaded.

All the same windows, so I have concluded that the chemicals used in previous
  cleans have damaged the windows in some way.

Would be nice knowing what the real reason is.

Doug